Polished Waterbox

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
I've never done any polishing before today. Yesterday, I watched a YouTube video on how to polish aluminum and decided I would try it on my waterbox. My thought was that since it is behind the gas tank, no one will see it if I screw it up. After all I've never done this before.

After a few hours of dry sanding, wet sanding, and polishing I realized what a pain in the a$$ this is. Nevertheless, I finished it and I'm extremely pleased with the results. Here is the transformation of waterbox.

Attachments

• waterbox.jpg
    waterbox.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 149
What kinda polish did you use. I have some mothers mag and aluminum polish i mighty try using sometime. Polishing is a PITA but it does look nice

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
now it comes back to bite you in the ass that you cant see what a sweet waterbox you have LOL
all that time just to stuff it behind the gas tank...seems very very sad.

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
Sweet, I'll send you mine so you can practice on that. I'll even pay for return postage. :icon16:

I don't think I want to practice anymore...it is a lot of work. So unless you send me yours with some $$$ you might not ever get it back...:sneaky:

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
now it comes back to bite you in the ass that you cant see what a sweet waterbox you have LOL
all that time just to stuff it behind the gas tank...seems very very sad.

Not that sad becuase it was a practice piece, I knew going it it was a 50/50 shot and I learned more in the end. Also, if i get a 1 or 2 gallon Jaz fuel cell, you might be able to sneak a peak at it.

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
wow
i have always wanted to try something like that
but i know it's a PITA
good job

BTW... the new powerball for the cordless drill on slow speed with MAG polish does wonders, and then top it off with some "showtime" detailer

learned that at the Mothers booth, after i apologized for saying what a POS the powerball is....

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Hey Guy's take a grey scotchbrite and wipe what you are polishing real good to get rid of any outer carrosion and then use Brasso rub rub until it is all black then polish with a clean rag. Mother's suck's
Smusleh Nice job it look's Excellent Dude

Last edited:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
You should get a Caswell or Baldor buffer and start making some cash polishing stuff, you do great work.

Now install it behind your gas tank and start doing your B-pipe chamber.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Did you really do all of that by hand? I know I used a big @ss angle grinder to polish my b pipe chamber and head...and it was still a PITA.

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
Did you really do all of that by hand? I know I used a big @ss angle grinder to polish my b pipe chamber and head...and it was still a PITA.

I did every single part of it by hand. 80, 220, 400, 800, 1000, and 2000 grit then polish....it was a total PITA but great to learn how to do something from a simple YouTube video.

Once my hands recover, I'll do my chamber and then possibly clear powder coat it when it's done to protect it from water spots.

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
whats your address so I can get my riva dry pipe in the mail to you. I need it back by next weekend.

Thanks

I'm flattered, but I don't think I will be doing this on the side until I have done it a few more times. I don't even know how much I would charge someone to polish something like that. I'm sure I will learn a few more good techniques and only get better at it.

no powdercoat.....just clear it

the powder will flake off....

Good point, but I'm unsure how clear coat would hold up on my b pipe chamber with the heat factor. Is there any good way to polish the chamber and protect it from discoloration from the heat and water spots?

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
You should get a Caswell or Baldor buffer and start making some cash polishing stuff, you do great work.

Now install it behind your gas tank and start doing your B-pipe chamber.

Thanks....I plan on doing my B-pipe champer on the next rainy weekend. I'm going to try using the PowerBall as "Don 79 TA" mentioned and finish it with clear. I just hope that the clear coat will be able to withstand the heat.

I might try using this stuff and see how well it works: http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

Last edited:
i ceramic coated my chamber. color was "stainless steel". Still looks pretty good and its has been 2+ years.

is ceramic the same as powdercoat?

think about the old Xmetal poles, protec parts etc etc....the powder all delams after a year or 2...

I'm flattered, but I don't think I will be doing this on the side until I have done it a few more times. I don't even know how much I would charge someone to polish something like that. I'm sure I will learn a few more good techniques and only get better at it.

Good point, but I'm unsure how clear coat would hold up on my b pipe chamber with the heat factor. Is there any good way to polish the chamber and protect it from discoloration from the heat and water spots?

do some research on paint...use a high temp engine laquer and it will work perfect

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
no. ceramic is not like powder coating. don't know what it is really, but it not the same.

before and after ceramic coating

pictures of chamber 1.5 years later. Lost a little of its brilliant shine, but resists water spotting quite well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom