Polishing a turd (650sx)

Ive had this ski since freshmen year in hs. Now im a first year college student and i would like to restore my baby to her former glory. On a limited budget, of course:) performance is after cosmetics. Help/advice will be appreciated, including that on basic handling for freeride. Thank you!:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 75

mattyboy89

The countdown is on
Why performance after cosmetics? Would you not rather spend money to make the ski more fun to ride or do you really care that much about it looking good. Most will eventually sell and get an am hull anyways down the road so why not invest for the future??

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
These are really fun skis for what they are. I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as their reputation. I bought one as a backup ski as part of a package deal and ended up enjoying it way more than expected. I am installing footholds in mine and a few other things - you should check out the "650sx Brotherhood" thread on PWCtoday - there are some really nice 650sx's and some other happy owners that might give you a really posititve perspective on what you can do with it.

Sorry i meant handling and cosmetics power isnt at the top of my list yet. As for cosmetics i mean turf and whatnot and tips on not screwing up. Also, if i buy an aftermarket hull, ill be getting a new engine larger than 650cc, but i understand what youre saying. Thank you all for your replies.

These are really fun skis for what they are. I don't think they are anywhere near as bad as their reputation. I bought one as a backup ski as part of a package deal and ended up enjoying it way more than expected. I am installing footholds in mine and a few other things - you should check out the "650sx Brotherhood" thread on PWCtoday - there are some really nice 650sx's and some other happy owners that might give you a really posititve perspective on what you can do with it.
Neat!
Im doing turf and footholds as the first step on mine, what kind of footholds are you getting? I read its hard to find them thin enough for the sides of a 650sx

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Neat!
Im doing turf and footholds as the first step on mine, what kind of footholds are you getting? I read its hard to find them thin enough for the sides of a 650sx
I have Tom21's in my Superjet and love them. For my 650sx I am going for a DIY inspired by Tom. I basically cut them directly in to the sides of the tray, and made them so big that after I get a couple more layers of glass on them I will still have room to create the finished shape with pad and turf. Very little if any projection into the tray. I test fit frequently as I cut in to the factory foam (which was nice and dry and solid).
We shall see how it all comes out, but so far so good. Using the premade holds was convenient, but I will not have to mess with any 2-part foam this way, and I can shape them exactly how I want them.

I have Tom21's in my Superjet and love them. For my 650sx I am going for a DIY inspired by Tom. I basically cut them directly in to the sides of the tray, and made them so big that after I get a couple more layers of glass on them I will still have room to create the finished shape with pad and turf. Very little if any projection into the tray. I test fit frequently as I cut in to the factory foam (which was nice and dry and solid).
We shall see how it all comes out, but so far so good. Using the premade holds was convenient, but I will not have to mess with any 2-part foam this way, and I can shape them exactly how I want them.
Thats smart. Id do the same if i'd ever worked with fiberglass before. I would much rather just buy premade footholds and install them.. Less of a chance to screw it up:)

My 1987 650 has a mikuni sbn 44 carb a prok flame arrestor and polished intake . I also modified my exhaust to run hotter and then I added 4.5in to the expansion chamber then I drilled my water box. Also have some other handling mods but last week when I went out I was riding with two other guys with a 2013 and 2014 superjets and I was able to keep up with them both. So the 650 is a great ski if you know how to wake the engine up.

SkiPro

Trim down for what!?!?!?
I like my 650 I learned to ride and wrench on... Was a great first ski. Now just a backup.. Ole turd ski starts every time!

Attachments

• 1366951930757.jpg
    1366951930757.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 1375473857202.jpg
    1375473857202.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 38
Top Bottom