FX-1 Poor mans B pipe in the Fx-1

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
i got a 650sx OEM head pipe/SS chamber for free and picked up a FPP 61X exhaust manifold for $125 and did this mod to my kids FX-1 with 650 motor. I also added in a 4" SS extension that I cut off the end of another 650 chamber that I had. This way its more like a ltd. chamber. I did the water routing mod also.

It works great! I had to fatten up the carb quite a bit and could feel the extra power. That OEM pipe is the biggest POS and its bulky and heavy.
This was a great cheap mod... Thanks for the idea Gorilla.

Attachments

• fx-1 poor mans b pipe.jpg
    fx-1 poor mans b pipe.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 404
I did this to my 650 SJ last year and it made a ton of difference. Between that, and bumping the timing it seemed like a different ski.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
you could have done it even cheaper. you could have used a cofmans exhaust manifold instead of FP, they're basically the same. I picked one up for $7 plus shipping on ebay.

you could have done it even cheaper. you could have used a cofmans exhaust manifold instead of FP, they're basically the same. I picked one up for $7 plus shipping on ebay.

Yeah thats what I used, I bought mine from Coffmans. Called to ask a questing some jetting and they ended up telling me they had new 650 manifolds sitting around. Picked two of them up at $55 a piece. Came with new gaskets. Great deal.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
I knew that about the Coffmans too, but this was all I could find and I can eventually buy a used head FPP pipe/chamber and have a other B pipe set up around. I thought $125 shipped for a mint 61X FPP manifold was a decent deal.

Wanna get your money back? I need one :biggrin:. Im gonna run a cheater in my js6m6.

I noticed the coffman mani has a place to bolt the pipe to the mani, the factory pipe doesnt. I dont know what the odds are of it fitting but it gives you the option of rigging up something.

Last edited:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I don't want to sell it but you're right, it has a mounting boss near the bottom front.

If you go the coffman route make sure you epoxy the water jacket before porting at the top of the manifold.

Last edited:
Has anyone enlarged the exit cone's diameter to the same as a B-Pipe? If so notice a difference? Also do some of you think you could fit it if you welded it all together as one piece with the extensions?

I'm on the look out for an exhaust manifold and I plan to do the above, but I have a SN so i may have more room but just curious.

Thanks

i got a 650sx OEM head pipe/SS chamber for free and picked up a FPP 61X exhaust manifold for $125 and did this mod to my kids FX-1 with 650 motor. I also added in a 4" SS extension that I cut off the end of another 650 chamber that I had. This way its more like a ltd. chamber. I did the water routing mod also.

It works great! I had to fatten up the carb quite a bit and could feel the extra power. That OEM pipe is the biggest POS and its bulky and heavy.
This was a great cheap mod... Thanks for the idea Gorilla.

Have you tried the 3-4 inch longer modded 650sx pipe side by side with the stock chamber length?? if so How did the added length affect the power band? I tried all different length extentions on a modded 650 pipe bolted to a Jet Works 669 kawi motor and it killed the power band everywhere. I dryed it out to melt down stage, cooled it down nothing I tried helped when the chamber was longer than the oem chamber. The only thing I did not try was injecting a ton of water into the stinger, I always had a flow valve on it. oem chamber length was the best in my testing for top, mid and bottom. Thanks Last edited by Kawi550sx; 03-31-2010 at 04:57 PM.

i'm doing this mod on my fx-1 but am haveing fit issues, it seems the pipe is pointing way up, so i am unable to get the tank in there any ideas what could be the problem?

Attachments

• b 027.jpg
    b 027.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 210
  • b 026.jpg
    b 026.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 143
yeah i got it to fit eventually, ajusted the couplers a bit and made a new hose to the waterbox. got my 650sx pump in there, exhaust new head, foot holds, bout ready to lake test. YAAA!

Top Bottom