Super Jet power to weight ratio

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
This was pretty much my thought pattern a couple years ago. I was building towards an SS865 for my 07 SJ hull when I started reading about the Trinity Matrix. I had quite a few conversations about which was going to better, a big motor or a really good hull. Not sure if my buds actually thought the hull would be better or if they just wanted me to drop the coin so they could ride it but either way, they solidified my decision to get the hull. Thankfully my wife is understanding and made me get the big motor as well and build the ski the way it should have been built. In the end I spent $5K for a hull only slightly lighter than an OEM hull but so much stronger.

Fast forward 3 years later and I still couldn't be happier. I love the Matrix hull and it suits my riding style perfectly. The SS865 on the other hand is a handful in the surf and all the above comments about getting worn out quickly are dead on. I haven't been able to ride frequent enough to stay in great shape so I get my azz handed to me quite regularly. Friends who ride almost every weekend say my ski is a handful with the SS865 so it's not just my lazy azz either.

Last summer I was able to ride a buddy's Matrix with a good limited 61X setup and it felt great. It took a bit to reset my timing for hitting waves because of the drop in power but once I got the feel for it, it was so fluid and smooth it was awesome and I came home seriously thinking about building up a nice BB setup and shelving my SS865 for a season. Fortunately I came to my senses and realized that HP is more addictive than I thought and I could never go backwards.

If I was to do it all over again, I would have stuck with the ported 760 that I already had and put the extra money in my fuel tank.

Half flip95

Formerly pondracer95
1. That depends very much on the a/m hull. I can tell you a Freak is more versatile than a stocker ever could be. Especially a light a/m hull like a Freak with a stock driveline. You can do everything you could do on the stocker, plus more. But, choice of hull is important.
yes, and i don't dare ask which one is the best.

2. You're going to cry a lot when you throw a rod in that $5k motor of yours. And a lot of big freestyle motors won't take kindly to buoy racing. So that argument is meaningless.
yes, i will cry. was referencing to a set up that is more power everywhere, not specialized for super low/mid/ top exclusively

3. One can make the same (useless) "losing versatility" argument about bigger motors in stock hulls. Can't really do hood tricks anymore. Can't really do 2 hour rides on a tank of gas anymore. Don't really want my friends to ride that expensive motor. Wears you out faster. Etcetera etcetera ad nauseum.
oh the friends got the boot years ago

My point is: You're looking at this from only one side. Nearly all of your arguments apply just the same in the stock hull + expensive motor configuration.
yes i am looking at it very one sided, i presented this side in an open forum because i want to hear the other side. i would love to have an am hull. it is not my intention to take jabs at people that do. i have been thinking lately, man you can get a lot of power under the hood for what some of these hulls cost...

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
You can sure free up alot of the power you already have under the hood by losing 100lbs

That's exactly right. And what's more, the right a/m hull will provide so much extra fun regardless of power because of the riding qualities it offers that a stocker just doesn't have.
Now, the above statement depends very much on the rider and the hull.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Ever pick up a set of destroyers? They weigh like 10 pounds. The completely change the ride however. Well worth $400

Imagine if you had 10 different kinds of destroyers built into all different places of your ski, but instead of adding weight, they removed it. How awesome would that be. Well worth $4000

swapmeet

Brotastic
Oh boy.... LOL...

I did this thing that the OP suggests, I spent over 4k (the most I could afford at the time) on a motor etc and the net gain was rather disappointing, largely because the motor was in a relatively heavy RN hull.

My original plan was to spend the money on a hull and then build up a motor later and thats exactly what I should have done. I had/ have a very nice 61x, that would have been a lot of fun in a Backie Chan or other light weight AM hull (we're they available at the time). But I decided that I had to have a RN hull and it all went down hill from there.

Also, look at the number of motors for sale vs/ hulls and that should answer your question. People who have AM hulls that they like hold on to them. Everyone else is chasing that power monkey, always looking for more. I hate that monkey with a passion.

Just $.02 from someone who has done exactly what was suggested.

I will also be getting a hull first. Another good thing is an a/m hull with a stock engine allows you to get used to the hull and the way it handles. (especially this being my first a/m hull and being 14" shorter than a sj).

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Oh boy.... LOL...

I did this thing that the OP suggests, I spent over 4k (the most I could afford at the time) on a motor etc and the net gain was rather disappointing, largely because the motor was in a relatively heavy RN hull.

My original plan was to spend the money on a hull and then build up a motor later and thats exactly what I should have done. I had/ have a very nice 61x, that would have been a lot of fun in a Backie Chan or other light weight AM hull (we're they available at the time). But I decided that I had to have a RN hull and it all went down hill from there.

Also, look at the number of motors for sale vs/ hulls and that should answer your question. People who have AM hulls that they like hold on to them. Everyone else is chasing that power monkey, always looking for more. I hate that monkey with a passion.

Just $.02 from someone who has done exactly what was suggested.

Swaps hulls are heavy because he covers them with waterproof LEDs. Vinyl graphics are no good for him. He needs animated graphics.

Come to think of it... I bet a holographic vinyl decal would be right up your alley. You should look into that.

djraider700

lol wut?
Give me my reliable 701 with a b pipe in the right a/m hull any day. Hell, I'm pretty darn happy with it in my stockish hull.

Surf point of view of course. I realize flatwater is a different story.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Swaps hulls are heavy because he covers them with waterproof LEDs. Vinyl graphics are no good for him. He needs animated graphics.

Come to think of it... I bet a holographic vinyl decal would be right up your alley. You should look into that.

Not LED's... NEON's I rock the aqua colored neons on my boat...

And you might have something with the holographic thing... remember those rulers?

This thread is officially de-railed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Not LED's... NEON's I rock the aqua colored neons on my boat...

And you might have something with the holographic thing... remember those rulers?

This thread is officially de-railed.

I think we should make a deal. If 100 people on the site donate a holographic ruler to Swapmeet, he has to 'wrap' the really? build in them, and donate $50 to the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom