Primer and Fuel Select Install - Aftermarket Hulls

holygoat

Site Supporter
I know how to install a primer and fuel select, my question is - where?

In an oem you obviously usually have them in the tray. But my tray backing space is really restricted by the e box. Would j kick myself to install it inside the hull? I can think of one time I've ever had to switch fuel over out on the lake and once I've primed my ski and she's hot I never need to reprime.

Would I be stupid to mount inside the hull? Any other suggestions?

Thank you

If your carbs are tuned properly you shouldn't need a primer. I don't have one on my skis. My freak sat in my shed for 3 months without being touched and I went to start it the other day. It took about 5-6 seconds to pop off. I do spray a fair amount of fogging oil down the carbs after each time out riding before I put it up. Also leave the hood off so it can breathe as well as a tender hooked up to the battery..

If your carbs are tuned properly you shouldn't need a primer. I don't have one on my skis. My freak sat in my shed for 3 months without being touched and I went to start it the other day. It took about 5-6 seconds to pop off. I do spray a fair amount of fogging oil down the carbs after each time out riding before I put it up. Also leave the hood off so it can breathe as well as a tender hooked up to the battery..
All my other skis had one. I just like having one truly. Same as a fuel selector, to me it's just a nice backup.
I agree with fast, shouldn't need one. But just for stone cold start-ups, which I always do with the hood off, I went this route (rc car primer bulb) just to save cranking on the batt. I also figure 1 less hole in the hull is a good thing, and ditch the fuel selector, 2 less holes in hull is even better. Extend both pickups to the bottom of the tank to feed dual carbs. DSC05912.JPG

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
99.999% of people with aftermarket hulls do not use a fuel selector. It's just one more thing to go wrong and clutters engine bay.
99% of aftermarket hulls never leave the shore's sight. They can swim in. I would never give up having a reserve on my river runners.
why do u need a primer ?
Saves your starter. Instead of cranking the engine to run the diaphragm pump in the carb, you can get fuel right near the carb(if you plumbed the primer correctly). It will start instantly since fuel is in the venturi and stay running with a primed fuel line.

holygoat

Site Supporter
99% of aftermarket hulls never leave the shore's sight. They can swim in. I would never give up having a reserve on my river runners.

Saves your starter. Instead of cranking the engine to run the diaphragm pump in the carb, you can get fuel right near the carb(if you plumbed the primer correctly). It will start instantly since fuel is in the venturi and stay running with a primed fuel line.

Mine is a bit of an all rounder, so I think I might do a fuel selector and primer under the hood. It's one of those things that I just like to have as a backup, and it's cheap and easy to install.

Big Kahuna

Administrator

How you gonna swim your ski in with 5-6' waves breaking overhead. Why not have an easy and simple way of getting it refired (if you already have water intrusion)........

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I agree with fast, shouldn't need one. But just for stone cold start-ups, which I always do with the hood off, I went this route (rc car primer bulb) just to save cranking on the batt. I also figure 1 less hole in the hull is a good thing, and ditch the fuel selector, 2 less holes in hull is even better. Extend both pickups to the bottom of the tank to feed dual carbs. View attachment 447345
That rc bulb looks like a super clean, easy method! Has it withstood the test of time?

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Absolutely! Bought 3 of them with the intention of replacing yearly, 4 years later still on my first one!
I was looking to make a bracket to mount a primer inside my ski but this looks like a way better option. Definitely nice to have for starting your ski especially if you fog it every ride. Do you remember where you bought them from?

great thread. I have been trying to figure out where/how to mount my fuel selector in my Superjet inside the hull. Ran a single line for now but would like to add but haven’t come up with anything that looks purposeful. Any ideas?

Iv heard of guys buying the Arizona tea 1 gallon bottles for a reserve stuffed in a backsack. I imagine in that backsack, is included with a spare set of plugs and maybe some zipties and ducktape, maybe even some jb weld if ish gets real. I feel like if your riding in the surf your already on high alert and should be paying attention to everything anyway and that especially means fuel. Just read a thread on here where a guy was riding in the surf and accidentally lost his lanyard on his ski (old post). If your a river rider this a good solution to longer rides bringing extra fuel. Lake riders If the lake isn't huge you probably not in much danger to running out of fuel, as you should have plenty of places to stop and check. And maybe having a go bag isn't a bad idea if your not doing backflips.

Top Bottom