Primer install

just wondering how to install my primer. I have the lines connected from the carbs to the primer. But how am I suppose to connect the primer to the gas line?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 187

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Best way IMO is to plumb the primer supply line to a tee at a low spot on your return line. This way it will never pull air bubbles into one of your supply lines and run lean. There is always fuel in the return line if your fuel pump(s) are working properly.

The return is the one that runs from your carb fuel out line back to the fuel tank. On my sbn is the bottom one. What looks like in your picture would be the top barb. "T" off of that and run it to the prime

Ty

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Do you delete the choke when you install this?

Usually the primer is installed using brass fittings that fit into the choke plate shaft.

I did have a set of adapters that had primer fittings on them for my gp1200, in this case the choke plates did not need to be removed.

Some people say removing the choke plates improves the flow and some say removing the chokes negatively alter the flow. Us casual internet users wouldn't know who to trust. I used the brass in the kit and ditched the plates.

I did mine today and removed the choke. It was in the way of the t screws for the high and low carb adjusters

One question. I cut into the reserve line as the directions suggested but I saw that some people recommended to cut into the return to avoid an air leak and frying the motor. What say you guys?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I did mine today and removed the choke. It was in the way of the t screws for the high and low carb adjusters

One question. I cut into the reserve line as the directions suggested but I saw that some people recommended to cut into the return to avoid an air leak and frying the motor. What say you guys?

I cut into my primary line and run my ski on reserve when racing. I do run on primary in the surf but I don't run high enough RPM in the surf that a small leak would cause a seize. The primer pumps seem to fail about once per year either letting in extra fuel or air.

You wont have primer when the tank is low but I've never needed it that late in the game. I have a few miles back from the surf so I never run past primary except for the return trip so i've never needed to try to prime on reserve.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Why wouldn't you have prime when the tank is low? It's drawing from the reserve line

If you carbs are right, you shouldn't have to prime for any reason. I only use it for cold starts. Once it's running, it stays running.

The return line can work, but it's not actually a pickup. It can only pull what's in the return line. If the ski has been sitting and the line is dry, it's not going to work. If you're out riding, the lines should already be primed, you shouldn't need a primer for that, if you do, your needles are leaking or your fuel pumps are weak.

The only reason I can think of to prime a low tank is if you run it bone dry on primary before switching to reserve. Not sure why you'd keep running it on primary when it's running out of fuel. I always turn my selector to reserve during warm up to prime both lines before riding so it's ready to go when I change it.

Everything you are saying @Vumad makes sense. I would only be using the primer for cold starts. And my logic is the same as yours. Why would I want to pull fuel from the return line in a cold start? Would there even be fuel there? But the consensus seems to be that it is safer to run the primer from the return line in case there is an air leak in the system. In that case you won't lean out your fuel mixture

Top Bottom