300/440/550 problem, impeller catch causing this or is is deeper?

okay so i got my 550 pretty much all back together. I hooked it all up and everything was normal. I started by turning it over without any plugs, did this for a while, then some oil down the cylinders as i wanted a coat and i was gona take a psi reading. anyways im playing around. yes ive got spark.

So I put the plugs in, ignition caps on and press the start button.

errrrr errrrrr it violently turns but gets STUCK straight away, then a alert sound alarms on the jump starter.
try and turn it, dislodge it at all by hand, NOPE.

take the plugs out, FINE.

Now i rebuilt my pump by myself and thought i got it "pretty good", it catches mild-medim catchyness just quickly twice. i know this isnt ideal, but i thought my new motor would just turn overthing over no matter what.

Can any body back me up on this?
sounds about right?

Now that it has to compress some air, its struggling to ALSO turn the drive shaft hard enough to "scrap past" the impeller.

why is this happening? the impeller catching ay?

okay so heres how it played out, now that your saying this.

I administered maybe 20mls of yamalube ( tcw3 ) into each cylinder. maybe alittle more. then i turned it over, noticing it actually sprayed oil into my eyes lol, so i then turned it over for 3-4 sets of 3-5 seconds on the start button pumping the oil through and out the head into the air.

i then ran it approx for a total 15 seconds with my finger over it.

then i wanted to take my reading but i thought id better clear it out of oil so oil isnt forced in my compression tester. So i plug the plugs in, tightened them, and TRIED to turn it over. it move the crank but really slowly like reallllly slowly, then cease up and then id hear a noise. eeeeeeeep. so u stop with the electricity. tried it again with the spark plug boots on. same thing.

Then take em out. its fine.

so i carried on with the compression test.

whats going on here

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
This means that there is fluid in the cylinder that cannot be compressed. Usually due to water ingestion but any liquid will cause the same effect.

the engine was just rebuilt, SPOTLESS. crank was washed and top end fully rebuilt.
just assembly oil. Im not sure how big the cap on you jetski oil is, but half a cap full is abut 30mls for me. just alittle bigger than a Gatorade cap.

so just half a cap in each cylinder.

given now you know exactly what is inside this motor.
light coat of oil.

is it safe to say that hydraulic idea is not the problem.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I would think that any excess oil would have been blown out from you turning the engine over with the plugs out. Enough that it shouldn't be a factor anyways.

Also, the starter should have enough torque to overcome the pump binding but possibly not the pump binding and the compression with the plugs in.

I would check the charge in the battery and the condition of the battery, starter and ground cables and connections.

If you don't find anything there, pull the pump and remove it from the equation, get the engine running first and then recouple the pump so you're only working with one problem at a time

thanks mate

I realigned the pump today. again by myself tho i took the and got it high up on the table. I noticed the drive shaft sagged a little bit ( pump off, only shaft and impeller), just a fraction, but quiet noticeable.
is this normal?

just finished putting it back. still needs a few touches but thats her :) 6 months learning
YESSSS i know i ask daft questions sometimes, and a lot of question all the time. but thats how you learn sir. you just have to listen. Thanks again to everyone who' s helped so far, i look forward to future projects.

any tips on what to make a template out of for hydro turfing?

Attachments

• 550 done.jpg
    550 done.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 550 done 2.jpg
    550 done 2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 16
I'm going with the hydraulic lock. The compression area is very small, half a Gatorade cap of oil is a lot of oil to put in a cylinder. It's not going to really get blown out immediately, because there is no compression to blow it out, it's just coated the underside of the head. Once you re-installed the plugs, the oil is taking up some of the space, so compression went too high for the starter to turn over.

Using oil defeats the entire purpose of the compression test, to piston/ring/cylinder seal.

On the bright side, we all learn from our mistakes.

You can just buy hydroturf pre-cut for the JS440. Also pick up a can of weldwood from the hardware store. Just be sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY. I recently turfed my ski and made the mistake of gluing down the tray deck before the sides. Don't do that, you will regret it! It's tempting because it's the easiest piece.

I've only been riding standups now for just under a year, now have my second JS, and have had to rebuild or repair every single part on it. It has been a great learning experience. Once you learn all of the tricks they are very easy to work on.

if your pump or driveline is not binding i dont think this is a hydro lock situation especially after cranking it many times with the plugs out
440/550 starters are always a problem, they go bad very easy due to them being a direct drive type
i would start by using a new battery
next i would get 2 new battery cables you either make or buy cheap auto parts ones to test with
connect one end directly to the starter (+) post after removing the stock one from elec box then connect to the (+) on the battery
bolt #2 cable to the engine somewhere like the bolts on the front cover for a ground
now touch the ground cable to the battery (-) post and should crank over well with the plugs in
if not the starter is bad
if the starter cranks well then you know its the cables or the relay in the elec box is bad with a poor contacts inside the relay

i re aligned the pump properly.
fixed it right up.

the ski in my display picture, take a look and please tell me if my cooling hose if fine, i think its maybe to long and i wana make sure thats okay.

the guy at the water fittings shop told me after a certain pressure it doesnt matter but wat able those low pressues say like idle ? will the current setup cool/piss at an idle rpm ??

Top Bottom