Super Jet Progressively worse no power issue, it's warming up Downunder, SJ needs to get wet !

Picked up a brand new EPIC CDI for $300, so that will be going in, offereing at least performance improvements but eliminating the CDI also.

I retested the stators while out of the ski and it seems the charge (spark) one might be a bit flakey. It's reading low at 448ohm (just out of spec), but if i tap it with a rubber screw driver the the reading fluctuates a little. Pretty sure is a bad sign.

So I'm getting that rewound too (handy when the rewind guy for many of the shops lives in one's street :) ).

Heres hoping once I get that back, re assemble it's sweet but with better pickup too boot!

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
A bad stator will defiantly do this as well, I had one on a Seadoo with damn near the same symptoms as this.

Update! Finally got this thing back in the water. The issue was either the stator or CDI, either way it runs and comes on power now............... well did. haha.

Destroyed the front piston and dome though. Not 100% sure what happened but after a few 'longish' full power runs I noticed the engine almost 'stall' it self. Messed with the mixture screws to find the front carby high set fully in! (doh!) usually run at 3/4 out. Not sure WTF I did there as I set them before fitting. They are a s#&t to do up, so maybe I was bumping the T screw closed without even noticing lol, derrrrrrrrr. The piston already had a little bit of a burt lip from previous issue but I wanted to get it running before rebuilding again (rather than mess up a fresh engine). Obviously the piston/cylinder was not 100% up to strength to start with, but I'm not sure that having the high needle right in would be enough to cause the destruction?
I guess it's possible, perhaps a lean seize that seemingly broke some piston and ring. (hopefully the crank is ok)

It did run a little odd though before it got really bad to ride. As in the spark seemed to want to 'stop' the motor wanting to turn over, with it sometimes apparent at cranking/start up. Obviously the EPIC CDI would run a bit more aggressive with the stock map than factory, but I'd assume they'd leave it still reasonably safe? The rear piston/dome is 100% fine. (if it was only timing deto then I'd imagine both would display issues)

302382_10150275464677465_546057464_6781381_1298683490_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom