Proper flush procedure?

Newbie question here - I searched for a while but couldn't find an answer so please don't yell at me! I bought an '04 SJ and it has a hose in the engine compartment with an attachment for a garden hose. What is the proper procedure for flushing my ski using this hose? Is it engine on -water on - water off - engine off? Do I rev it up while the engine is running? Also, when I'm done riding (fresh water) and load the ski on the trailer should I be starting the ski and running it until water stops coming out of the exhaust? Thanks!

kraqus

Site Supporter
These is for Salt water only though:

1. Engine ON
2. Water ON
3. Idle for a couple of minutes with a few revs in between
4. Water OFF
5. Rev engine a few more times juts to get the remaining water out
6. Engine OFF

If you ride fresh water only I would not worry about flushing and YES you do rev your engine when you get it back on the trailer.

Here is a useful video:
http://www.sbtontheweb.com/video/11-postride.wmv

Benny

Last edited:

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Stupid question I have always thought about. Can flushing with the hose on too high hurt anything (head gasket, blow out orings, exhaust gasket (on a kawi manifold, ect)? I wouldnt think so, being the pump makes a good amount of pressure... but always wondered.

Last edited:

cmeripper26

Ripper26
Ive always ran the hose at a slow rate where there is a steady but small stream flowing out the pisser. You dont have to crank the hose on high bore, especially if you flush it out after every time you ride salt water.

Just curious, what do you guys use to attach a hose? My fx1 has what i assume to be a stock quick adapter for a hose but i dont have the end that goes onto the hose so i have no idea how to hook it up

kraqus

Site Supporter
Depending on the ski you have there are many options:

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/flushkits.aspx

I am not familiar with FX-1 but, Does you adapter look something like this?

This is from my SN.

adapter.jpg

Benny

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
Stupid question I have always thought about. Can flushing with the hose on too high hurt anything (head gasket, blow out orings, exhaust gasket (on a kawi manifold, ect)? I wouldnt think so, being the pump makes a good amount of pressure... but always wondered.

all those gaskets hold in compression of (hopefully) 150 - 175 psi
most people have 15 - 30 psi on thier home water line
not much chance of blowing gaskets or
beating out the motor compression
and sending water back into engine as long as engine is running!

Depending on the ski you have there are many options:

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/flushkits.aspx

I am not familiar with FX-1 but, Does you adapter look something like this?

This is from my SN.

adapter.jpg

Benny

Yep, exact same. In fact other then some slight differences in the gas tank everything else i see looks the exact same as my fx1 (except yours is cleaner of course...)

So what do you use on that? one of the adapters on the link you posted?

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
all those gaskets hold in compression of (hopefully) 150 - 175 psi
most people have 15 - 30 psi on thier home water line
not much chance of blowing gaskets or
beating out the motor compression
and sending water back into engine as long as engine is running!

That was exactly what I was thinking, but you read alot to use low water pressure. Never understood why.

That was exactly what I was thinking, but you read alot to use low water pressure. Never understood why.
Your hose has a lot more volume and up to 10 times the pressure, so unless you reduce the volume there will be a lot more water getting squirted into the chamber which might just make it into the engine when it scavenges. If you disassemble an engine right after it's been flushed with to much 'volume', you'll likely find several drops of water in the crank case. This water might condense under the pistons and ruin the rod bearing surfaces.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Your hose has a lot more volume and up to 10 times the pressure, so unless you reduce the volume there will be a lot more water getting squirted into the chamber which might just make it into the engine when it scavenges. If you disassemble an engine right after it's been flushed with to much 'volume', you'll likely find several drops of water in the crank case. This water might condense under the pistons and ruin the rod bearing surfaces.

Interesting. Do you think that having the top headpipe screw open makes your chances of this worse? One time after flushing I had water drops on my plugs, and I could not understand how that was possible. I was brapping it pretty good while flushing. I closed the top screw and opened the middle, and it has not reoccured yet.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter

HUH? 10 psi is 10 psi. same is a 30 psi is 30 psi. no matter the volume.

What your saying is the water hose (at full open) is allowing more water to flow through the motor than the jet pump does, even at WOT?? hmmm

I would think the exhaust pressure will keep any water from backing in through the exhaust even at idle.
Maybe im missing something, but when flushing a ski, where would water enter the crank case other than through the exhaust, down the cylinder and in to the crank case?

Top Bottom