Blaster pump rebuild advice (seals)

At the begining of last season, I put a solas mag pump and a hooker prop in my wb1. I put in new bearings and seals as well. Toward the end of the season I put in a smaller pump cone and when I took the old one out I noticed the grease inside the pump was watery and discolered. I left it for the end of the season, but just pulled it out to take a look recently. The seals were smoked. I am not sure why they didnt even last a whole season, but I figure it must have been a problem with the installation since they lasted far less time thatn expected. Has anyone run into this problem or have good experience with pump rebuilds to know what I may have done wrong? I dont know what I could have screwed up, I usually pay good attention in making sure I install seals facing the right way, press them in evenly, etc. Any ideas? I want to make sure I rebuild it better this time so my seals last.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
also more info will help others. OEM seals and bearings? Did you press in your self? Did you press in bearings correctly using proper tools? ETC, ETC

I think so. I installed the pump first with no shims, then installed the midshaft which lined up well to the bolt holes on the firewall. That is, when I tightened the bolts on the firewall, it was not forcing the shaft in any direction. Then I shimmed the engine so the couplings lined up on center.

I used a rebuild kit from jet maniac, which I believe are oem seals and bearings. I pressed bearings and seals in evenly with an arbor press.

tshank123

Yo hablo ingles
Thats strange, sounds like you did everything right. That said, I've never installed a pump without shims. Seems like it always needs a little shimming.

Jetmaniac rebuilt my pump last season and it has been great. Maybe shoot him a PM and see if he has any suggestions as to why yours failed so quick.

MikeyLikesIt

X-Addict
More then likely the pump wasn't shimmed correctly which will produce an angle in the driveline (driveshaft will not be perfectly straight) which will cause the bearings and seals to bite the dust and have much shorter life span. I recommend using a micrometer when shimming the pump to make sure the driveshaft is dead center in the hole, you can get them at harbor freight for dirt cheap. Also since you have already run it like this, it is possible that the driveshaft can be damaged, do you have any pictures of it? How do the splines and the bearing seats look?? Make sure it is perfect in all aspects, including straight as an arrow...

photo (4).jpg
Seems like the bearing seats are nice and smooth. No noticeable damage anywhere. There is a wear line about where the seal would line up. Its not worn in at all though, just seems dirty and rubs off with my fingernail for the most part. I havent really tried cleaning it up much yet other than just with a rag. The splines on the other end are really clean.

Top Bottom