PWC Insurance

Woody

Need to save my money!!
I just called up Geico (also my auto provider) just to inquire about how much insurance would be for my modded 06 SJ.

After going thru all the steps...she said i'm sorry we can't offer it to you. I've never had any DWI's or any big mishaps...so i asked why wouldn't they offer it to me...she said its probably because i have engine modifications.

Who here on the X has insurance? The reason I'm considering it is that I'm riding much more and I'm also travelling to a couple more freerides I want to be covered.

How much does it run? I have an 06 sj, bpipe, girdle head, msd enhancer, prop and a couple of other misc. things...

is it worth it to get insurance? Should I go thru a local broker?? or any suggestions?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I've been told that anything aside from an aftermarket impellor and grips is a modification from stock and they will not cover you. Some states/companies are much more forgiving. As people post their experiences, make sure to include the state you live in.

When I lived in Canada I could get insurance for my skis in the province of British Columbia but was S.O.L. in Alberta.

I keep meaning to look into insurance in South Carolina, maybe this thread will revive that and I'll finally get to it.

WAB is in the insurance game and he has insurance on his ski in Georgia. Not sure how much coverage is available though or if you must claim your ski to be "stock".

Last edited:
i have mine with progressive, as far as i know geico will not insure a stand up (mods or otherwise) with anything but liability. progressive has no problem with it though.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Would something like classic car insurance work? Some of them appraise your ride and base everything on that appraisal. You'd think you could just buy x amount of coverage for x amount a month but insurance companies like being useless.

i have mine with progressive, as far as i know geico will not insure a stand up (mods or otherwise) with anything but liability. progressive has no problem with it though.

I'm insured with GEICO with my '01 SJ with no mods, just new engine internal upgrades. I'm 31yrs old, bad driving record in CA - $624 a year.

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
i had no problems with progressive and i expressed that they are heavily modified
i have been told that is not a problem
their only concern to a mod is modified exhaust.

personally i think all boaters should be licensed and insured, just like cars

to many idiots on the water for sure....

i have no other insurance with progressive, and i pay i think it's $400 for full coverage on both skis, max liability, and the trailer too
my reggi is still for NY, so i'd assume probably cheaper if i regi in AZ. my car insurance was 50% cheaper when we did that (another company)

Last edited:
nationwide will only insure for kbb value. a 98 superjet is worth about 1800/1900. not worth fooling with for me. it is insured aslong as its attached to your vehichle for what thats worth

Woody

Need to save my money!!
also...when i did speak to the geico rep...she informed me that geico only sells "liability only" however when i asked her what if something happens to my ski, am i covered?

she said yes, its covered under liability. I even double checked and said so its not like car insurance where liability is the other persons property and comp/coll is yours...she explicity stated if anything is to happen to your ski you would be covered wiht the "liability only" policy

Woody

Need to save my money!!
nationwide will only insure for kbb value. a 98 superjet is worth about 1800/1900. not worth fooling with for me. it is insured aslong as its attached to your vehichle for what thats worth

so if i have my ski hooked up to a hitch-haul...and somebody rearends me...i'm covered? thru what my auto insurance?

Flyinbysti

Rad Dudes
I have both my ski's with progressive and it's like right around $426 a year if i remember right. I'd have to dig out the policy

I am in oklahoma have farmers and insured my ski for 18,000 wanted to make sure I could rebuid it all they wanted was pictures and receipt for how much I paid for it and it was 230 a year and covered theift and if I sunk it daytona but no competition.

Lucas

Surf Junkie
If you cant get it through Geico, Progressive, ect I would just go talk to a local insurance place, especially if you have alot of mods...

I have mine through "Horace Mann" which only insures teachers and it is a rider that falls under hour house insurance. All he wanted is the year and make and what I think the replacement value was. So I have $9000 worth of insurance for $300 a year. I am hoping it gets stolen or winds up missing. That is a lot more than it is listed in the for sale section for.

Top Bottom