SX/SXi/SXi Pro Question about dual kiehin Carburetors on a Kawasaki 750sxi

Hey guys, ive got a question for you all. I got given a pretty bunged up 1995 kawasaki sxi about 3 years ago, so set about pulling it to pieces to bog and sand and then paint it. Its mechanically all good, and ive finally got around to finishing all the trim and everything ( hydroturfed the back and black vinyled the chin pad) and just got it back from the painter! And anyway, i bought a set of kiehin carburetors of ebay to replace the dual carbs installed as they were completely rooted ( had salt water ran through them and were corroded as :):):):). The guy who I purchased them off ebay said they were off a kawasaki 750 but didnt specify which model they were off, I just bought them thinking they were the same as the ones I had! (Mine were actually mikuni's) Anyway, ive done a little bit of research and from what I can see the dual Kiehins were off the early model kawasaki's that came with dual carbs ( the zxi's ) and they made the same horsepower as the mikuni dual carb sxi's Im just wondering if they will run fine on the sxi? I cant see any reason why they wouldnt, but it would be great to see what you guys think. Its night time over here so I took a quick pic of my skis, can take a few more if anyone is interested in the day.

The grey one is the 95' sxi and the matte black one is vinyled and is a 94 sx

Attachments

• 20121202_215726.jpg
    20121202_215726.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 29
i have a 95 with cdk's and i hated them! if you can get them goin run them but the best thing i ever did was buy makuni's for it haha. it's backwards for watercraft with carbs makuni's are better not keihin . dirt bikes are the other way around

Kawikazi

Don't follow my line.
I have a set of dual cdk's on the shelf and theyre super reliable. I think the only advantage to th mikunis were there were a bit more tunable than the cdk's. Correct me if I'm wrong but 750 stand ups were 38's from the factory and the sit downs were 40's.... Just a tidbit

I have a set of dual cdk's on the shelf and theyre super reliable. I think the only advantage to th mikunis were there were a bit more tunable than the cdk's. Correct me if I'm wrong but 750 stand ups were 38's from the factory and the sit downs were 40's.... Just a tidbit

1993-1994 XI used 40s, some had two pilot jets. 1995 SXI and ZXI had 38s with smaller venturis than standard Keihin 38s. The Keihin 40s are fine but factory parts are more expensive. They tune the same as a Mikuni but you will need to know what you are doing since there are no specs around to blindly follow.

I have some Keihins off a '95 SXI I will sell you cheap. The key to getting them to run right is using the COMPLETELY STOCK AIR BOX. Using the stock air box, only some minor tweaking should be necessary to the stock jetting. If you insist on running aftermarket flame arrestors you will be no mans land.

PM me if you are interested.

Top Bottom