question for folks who are network admins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick reply....I have to take a Javascript class and as I work through it I find myself saying "who gives a F%$@!!" and "How does this crap apply to running and maintaining a network?"

Anybody else have any input?

Last edited:
yeah for some crazy reason I have to learn Java script. They decided that that's part of the program and I'm currently a CIW certifed Professional Website Designer :Banane37: What ever the hell that means......

Once I get these lame classes out of the way I can start working on my mcse, network +, CCNA, CCNP and so on.

Last edited:

ger87410

How did I get here?
yeah for some crazy reason I have to learn Java script.
That doesn't surprise me too much.

We use java to transfer files. Otherwise not at all. We only use html.

EDIT: Qwest MAKES us use java to send them files. They wrote a program, packaged it into a jar, then I had to unpack it and modify it to suit our needs.

Last edited:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
As IT manager/network admin for our company, never in almost 10 years now.

I could possibly see taking it for some programming experience, but vb would be a better fit and more applicable.

accbr

addicted
I've never had to use it. 'Network Administrator' seems to be a broad job description depending on the company. Smaller companies want/need somebody that can do a little of everything from servers, applications, networking, etc.... I work for a chain of hospitals. I mainly do network administration - routers, switches, firewalls, VPN, wireless, etc... Basically all the connections BETWEEN workstations, servers, and other campuses.

I mainly do network administration - routers, switches, firewalls, VPN, wireless, etc... Basically all the connections BETWEEN workstations, servers, and other campuses.

That is exactly what I want to get into! I could give two chits about designing websites and javascript. I want to build, install, and maintain all of the gear associated with the network.

At our community college they also make you take a few irrelevant (IMO) classes. It annoyed the crap out of me too.

But not nearly as bad as Cleveland State FORCING people to take black history and black religion classes. I used to go to class and fall asleep and shoot for C's on the test.

At our community college they also make you take a few irrelevant (IMO) classes. It annoyed the crap out of me too.

But not nearly as bad as Cleveland State FORCING people to take black history and black religion classes. I used to go to class and fall asleep and shoot for C's on the test.

Yeah, being cultured and fitting into your community is for the birds.

ger87410

How did I get here?
That is exactly what I want to get into! I could give two chits about designing websites and javascript. I want to build, install, and maintain all of the gear associated with the network.

I'm willing to bet that you're being groomed to fit in just about any IT position. Especially if you're going to a community college. Admins can be called on to do just about everything related to computers. The only thing I've not messed much with is VB.

I'd recommend learning linux. That's helped me the most and I see a fair amount of job openings calling for it.

I'm willing to bet that you're being groomed to fit in just about any IT position. Especially if you're going to a community college. Admins can be called on to do just about everything related to computers. The only thing I've not messed much with is VB.

I'd recommend learning linux. That's helped me the most and I see a fair amount of job openings calling for it.

Linux is also on my list to learn....so far in this class I have learned how to make an annoying pop up window with some annoying text or telling me what exact browser I'm running. Like I said "who gives a F&^%!!!"

Last edited:

ger87410

How did I get here?
Linux is also on my list to learn....so far in this class I have learned how to make an annoying pop up window with some annoying text or telling me what exact browser I'm running. Like I said "who gives a F&^%!!!"

lol!!!

"Hello world."
:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom