SX/SXi/SXi Pro R&D timing advance plate

astandupguy

beer/jetski=good
Im thinking about getting the timing advance plate, anyone done it? the advanced timing is going to improve low end but sacrifice some rpm right?

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
i did it to mine this winter. havnt ridden with it yet. suposed to make the ski alot more responsive. the install is a bit sketchy...u have to file away some of the stator pickup assembly for clearance, but u cant file off too much, and i also had to dremel the inside of the front cover to get it to fit. if u have a MSD enhancer, its recomended to add a "retard module". cause the enhancer adds like 3-4 degrees(guessing), and then the advance plate adds like 6 more (i think) and then the retard module retards it 1 or 2 degrees. too much timing advance, and ull jack up a motor.

i did it to mine this winter. havnt ridden with it yet. suposed to make the ski alot more responsive. the install is a bit sketchy...u have to file away some of the stator pickup assembly for clearance, but u cant file off too much, and i also had to dremel the inside of the front cover to get it to fit. if u have a MSD enhancer, its recomended to add a "retard module". cause the enhancer adds like 3-4 degrees(guessing), and then the advance plate adds like 6 more (i think) and then the retard module retards it 1 or 2 degrees. too much timing advance, and ull jack up a motor.

Be careful running that timing advance on a sxi pro. they already have advanced timing over the sx/sxi. I was told you can run them if you stick to 93oct fuel and dont go full rpm....ever.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I put it in my 750sx.. Ran and started like crap.. Very hard starting & backfired, not really sure wtf was wrong.. I opened the ebox to see it there was an MSD in it, all stock.. took it back out and sold it.. Still never figured out why it was like that..

Magyar68

Really!!!
Be careful running that timing advance on a sxi pro. they already have advanced timing over the sx/sxi. I was told you can run them if you stick to 93oct fuel and dont go full rpm....ever.

Jummping in, I Put on a MSD Enhanser and Factory Ltd pipe over the winter, ran it yesterday and it appears to detonating at WFO and I have the Enhancer set to 80% of max, and no advance plate installed. Its a 2000 SXI Pro.

98SXIPRO

One Of A K1nd
the Pro years had i believe 2 degrees advance over the prior SX and SXi models. the timing advance plate adds like 6 degrees. so really im at +8. should be safe as long as i dont run a MSD enhancer. those add like another 2 or 3.

i never had a problem with mine. on my 98 pro. i put a high compression head on this year anyway so i'll need the timing advance this year more than last. or am i backwards? lol

backwards, More compression needs more octane, more timming needs more octane. If you do both you will be above 93 octane. If you never go wot (top speed) you will be ok. Or youll need to step up to race fuel.

Ok i installed a R&D timing advance kit on my 750sx along with a 44sbn. The ski fired up in feb when it was stock i added the parts over the winter, i tried to start it up yesterday and it will not fire up. The compression is 145 in each cylinder and the coil is all reconditioned from JSS. I have great spark and i even put starter fluid in the cylinders. So this morning i thought i would take off my R&D kit and put the pick up back to the stock location. IT FIRED RIGHT UP!!!!!!. My ? is when you install the R&D advance kit does the pick up move more to the right or more to the left of it's current stock location. Mine was moved to the right if you were to look at the stator straight on

UPDATE the issue with my ski was a halfway sheared keyway. That is why the timing advance wouldn't work. My ski did fire up when i put it back to stock but she was backfiring alot so i decided to take a looky at the keyway and sure enough BINGO. She runs great now!

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
Installed my plate last night, fired right up! I have an sx, do I need to up my octane to 92? I normally just use 87....

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
FYI guys:

I have a 99 sxi-pro. Milled head (compression 170 in each), pipe, reeds, lightweight flywheel, and the R&D timing advance plate. I run 50:1, 93 octane gas always. Never had any issues. Good mod for the money. I run WOT for aprox 5, to maybe 10 seconds then back down. I've been runnin like this for a few years. It's all good.

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
Well I adjusted the carbs a full turn out making it richer I assume and ran like crap. So then I leaned it up 1/2 turn from its original location and ran like a boss! Hope this is what I was suppose to do

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
I don't remember adjusting my carbs, very sure I didn't touch um with this mod.

I'd keep and eye on your spark plugs and read them. This is something we should do regularly anyways. IMO.

Kawikazi

Don't follow my line.
You guys that are having prob with the timing advance plate, are you remembering to use the supplied gasket? Crucial thing here. It makes up for the height you've put on your pickup now. If not then your pickup is not square with your stator.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Figured out my issue was that I went backwards with the plate. I never had instructions to install it, nor could I find them. I sold the ski since and the plate & gasket before that. I thought it was odd that you would have to file the pick up to fit the other way, but later found out that is exactly what you had to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom