Rad Dudes X2 STA Surf Brace

Rad Dudes X2 STA Surf Brace

Ok now first off I don’t want anyone to think I am knocking other companies that already make surf braces for the Gen1 X2s. I grew up in a family owned business and I was always told if you couldn’t find what you wanted out there just make it.

Last season I rode with a surf brace since I beat the hell out of my skis and I wanted it to be stronger. With dual carbs the stock brace doesn’t fit like everyone knows and a surf brace to me makes a tone of sense, since you are closing a major gapped area in the ski for strength.

My 2 big problems with the surf brace were
  • #1 It wasn’t doing anything since the top braces were so weak they bent after one day of riding.
  • #2 To take the brace out to work on anything wasn’t easy since you had to remove everything since the pins were to long to slide out while in the hull.
Ok now #1 here seemed like kinda a big deal to me since this brace was in there to make everything stronger. Well you are only as strong as your weakest point, and when your weakest point is the part that mounts the brace to the ski that just isn’t good.

Now #2 wasn’t a big deal just more of a pain in the a$$ since to you need to unbolt all you brackets to get the brace out just to do something easy on the ski like pull a tank.

With the Rad Dudes STA (Stronger Than All) Surf Brace, its just that Stronger and Smarter (more smart)

The uppers and 1 lower bracket are all Stainless Steel and built bombproof, 1986 doent need the bent one on the top left since it is the only year that doesn’t have the Elc box under the stem so 86 and 86 alone gets 2 straights.

To remove the brace we took the time to tap and add stainless harware so 4 easy screws and the brace itself comes out leaving the brackets all in place for an easy reinstall after your work is done.

Now here is the coolest part, the main section is Alum and nice and light, they are raw right now but can be coated to what ever color you like. $25 extra

I am thinking about adding for those guys who want it a 750 elc box mount for you guys who run 750 or 800s with the bigger boxes. So no more strapping to the tank. Maybe have it hung over the battery side nice and out of the way!

Ok for the brace as they are I would like to get $165 shipped. $150 local

Now I only made up 12 and already sold 3 to a few local guys so that means 9 are sitting here now.
I take paypal just PM me for info.

Attachments

• 87-95.JPG
    87-95.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 269
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 86.JPG
    86.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Other company style

You can also see the pin that is too long and you dont have the room to push it out to get the bace out with out the brackets being removed.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 145
Other pics of the upper brackets,
You can see the other style lays next to it

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 150
These "surf braces" can not replace the function of factory compression tubes. Plus removing the hood foam will sink and X2.

aggro

Gen 2 X-2
@twinturbostang....IDk...if your'e that talented fabricating aluminum....I sure would like to see an affordable steering system that isn't loose like the stock Gen1 X2's were. Something comparable to Umi or Accusteer without the expensive price.

Nice work man!

These "surf braces" can not replace the function of factory compression tubes. Plus removing the hood foam will sink and X2.

Maybe one with stock foam in the rear. I had a freshly foamed X2, well and eventually waterlogged, lol. In either condition with zero foam under the hood the ski wouldn't sink. About 6 inches of the back stuck out of the water.

With out going into how triangle work and how strong they are, yes this does work. And yes you can run this with the stock braces still in place you just need alittle long bolt that stock under the stem.

Maybe one with stock foam in the rear. I had a freshly foamed X2, well and eventually waterlogged, lol. In either condition with zero foam under the hood the ski wouldn't sink. About 6 inches of the back stuck out of the water.
Same here I have sunk many skis with no foam and the tail always sticks out alittle. Now in the surf with waves and pulling you can even stink a ski with foam in the hood.

@twinturbostang....IDk...if your'e that talented fabricating aluminum....I sure would like to see an affordable steering system that isn't loose like the stock Gen1 X2's were. Something comparable to Umi or Accusteer without the expensive price.

Nice work man!

On my list. Only problem is I can't find a way to make them much cheaper that $250

Now with 750-800 elc box mount!
SO here is what I worked on this week. A 750 and 800 elc box mount. I'm very happy with how this came out, I am giving it to a friend who can cut out a bunch of them so i will have these now to mount up your Eboxes out of the way. Like anything else this is crazy strong with bent ends to link the whole thing with a full weld. Here are just mock ups, the plate will have the inside cut out and be fully welded.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 184
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 150
Im not a 650 elc fan. I know everyone talks about how nice it is but IMO they are wrong. 750 elc you can swap out a coil or a cdi since they are 2 different parts. 750 flywheels have a supper easy 1 bolt puller that you can do right in the ski. Also you dont have to pull the fly wheel if the stator goes bad!
750 elc all the way! and the box itself is much nicer and way up out of the way when its on the brace like this!

Im not a 650 elc fan. I know everyone talks about how nice it is but IMO they are wrong. 750 elc you can swap out a coil or a cdi since they are 2 different parts. 750 flywheels have a supper easy 1 bolt puller that you can do right in the ski. Also you dont have to pull the fly wheel if the stator goes bad!
750 elc all the way! and the box itself is much nicer and way up out of the way when its on the brace like this!

your points are valid- in reg to the stator and removal of the flywheel, but really its a 10min job to take your tank out, and if access to the stator is required on either electrics setup you remove the tank to make life a little easer anyway, so i supose its 1 bolt vs 3 in regards to pulling the flywheel, the 650 flywheel is lighter also i supose, advantages there also... Anyway brace looks great and if i had 750 electrics and needed another brace id give you a buz- Top Job..

Ya I am so happy with how it came out. I never like how my ebox was in my skis.

So when do you want me to send you yours?

Top Bottom