650/X-2 rattles at idle

I've got an '88 650sx that rattles like hell during idle. Sounds like a dry clutch on a bike. Sounds like its coming from rear of motor or pump. Not sure. This doesn't sound normal to me, but it has always done it. Ski does cavitate a little as well. Suggestions?

Midshaft housing is new. I would love a new pump or rebuild kit. Any suggestions on best place to get parts for vintage Kawi?

pwctoday....

but before you dump a ton of money into that thing youre better off to part it or park it and get yourself a squarenose superjet for 900-1500 bucks

you will ride more, wrench less and have 1000% better availbility of good parts (new and used)

dont take it the wrong way, but X2's are are not even a blip on the radar these days....You'll spend way more time money and effort into a losing effort

Last edited:
Is this a new noise for your boat? I ask because those Kawi pumps make a crazy ratlle noise from new. If cavitation has become an issue then a rebuild and new impeller are probably in order. A decent square would not be a bad option if its in your budget, as far a wrenching, X2's and 650's I've had were little to no trouble over the years.

Last edited:
I've got an '88 650sx that rattles like hell during idle. Sounds like a dry clutch on a bike. Sounds like its coming from rear of motor or pump. Not sure. This doesn't sound normal to me, but it has always done it. Ski does cavitate a little as well. Suggestions?

Its the shaft/impeller splines. All Kawasakis do it and 650s are the worst since they tend to wear out faster. It will last a long time in this condition so dont worry about it. A new impeller and shaft is required to properly fix it.

Thanks for the input everyone. This is my back up ski, but I do love it. My friends have nicknamed her the Yamasaki cause of the paint job. I dont mind putting a little money it to if I have to. I've had the ski for about 2 years now and it has always made that rattle. I guess I can start with a pump rebuild and I'll double check the prop clearance (0.010 in I do believe).

Here's a few pics:

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0025.jpg
    IMAG0025.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG1243.jpg
    IMAG1243.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 35
yea when i first got my x2 i was freaking out about the noise, but come to find out it is normal for the kawi's to be like that...to me its embarrassingly loud compared to my yamaha ski but apparently its normal, so i just ride it...
as far as cavitation make sure the pump is sealed properly.

yea when i first got my x2 i was freaking out about the noise, but come to find out it is normal for the kawi's to be like that...to me its embarrassingly loud compared to my yamaha ski but apparently its normal, so i just ride it...
as far as cavitation make sure the pump is sealed properly.

Good to know. Thanks. I have resealed the pump twice already. I removed a bunch of the fresh paint around the pump sealing surfaces, but maybe I need to remove more and seal it again. I'll double check a bunch of stuff this weekend.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Cavitation can also be caused by a bad pump liner. Although, it much more common to have grinding and wearing of your prop. I sent my pump to Scott at Exactal Tool and he put in a new liner and rebuilt the pump and paid return shipping for $300 (+shipping to him). My pump has been smooth like new for several years now. Unfortuneatly I lost his information when my dog chowed my phone.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
pwctoday....

but before you dump a ton of money into that thing youre better off to part it or park it and get yourself a squarenose superjet for 900-1500 bucks

you will ride more, wrench less and have 1000% better availbility of good parts (new and used)

dont take it the wrong way, but X2's are are not even a blip on the radar these days....You'll spend way more time money and effort into a losing effort
My guess is you never venture out past the X, maybe make Daytona this year and take a look around

Most of the x2 community is on pwc. When i had my x2 it did the same thing i re-siliconed my pump in and it still rattled but i had no cavitation.

It cavitated really bad after installing the pump after the paint job. I wound up scraping back the paint near the seal surfaces of the pump and pump area. It cavitated a lot less, but has gotten worse over time. I will need to take the pump out and re-seal everything I guess. The pump liner looks OK. No contact with the prop that I can see and no visible damage to the walls of the pump housing either. Being 25 years old though, it could be past the prop-pump wall acceptable clearance dimensions. Ill be checking into it tomorrow. I do feel better about the rattle now that many of you have said this is normal. My B1 is very different and way quieter than this Yamasaki.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!

I like how you reference PWCT then say the above. Everytime I ride I see at least 3 or 4 X2s at the lake. Why did Kawi make the Gen 2 for a while and then the aftermarket pick up on it from there? Blip on the radar?

You need a newer radar sir, your's is giving you false info!

I love my SJ, but there is something awesome about my X2 as well!

prop to pump wall gap is 0.012". This is out of spec according to my manual. Any suggestions on best place to get replacement?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
As I said above, Scott at Exactal Tool redid my pump for $300. I paid shipping to him and paid him $300. That $300 got me a bran new pump liner, fresh rebuild, all installed, I sent a different prop, he removed the old prop and installed the new 1, and return shipping was covered. I sent him the pump and a new prop, he sent me back perfect. It's been 3-4 years. Still perfect.

If you want to keep the same prop you have, send Scott the pump, and send your prop to impros (about $75). You will get everything back just like brand new.

I'm sorry I don't have scotts number. I lost it with my old phone. However, Someone on here recommended it. I think it might be in my build thread actually...

see what happens when I drink and post!! ya make a wrong turn into kawiville

My guess is you never venture out past the X, maybe make Daytona this year and take a look around

I make it out every so often...what is this daytona thing you speak of?

I like how you reference PWCT then say the above. Everytime I ride I see at least 3 or 4 X2s at the lake. Why did Kawi make the Gen 2 for a while and then the aftermarket pick up on it from there? Blip on the radar?

You need a newer radar sir, your's is giving you false info!

I love my SJ, but there is something awesome about my X2 as well!

the reference to pwcT was where to find kawi parts

X2's were probably only second to Superjets in Daytona last year. They were everywhere.

oh yes...I forgot, upside down on the beach...on the trailers, eboxes pulled with headless bodies poking out of the hulls..etc etc.....haha jk (sorta)

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
oh yes...I forgot, upside down on the beach...on the trailers, eboxes pulled with headless bodies poking out of the hulls..etc etc.....haha jk (sorta)

That is a true statement. Many of them were broken. Most of them broken because they are a second ski, that gets less attention of the owner who puts most of their investments into their Superjet. I have more than twice the $ invested in my SJ than my X2. More importantly is the age of the parts. My SJ is all stock 2004. My X2 is a 1987 with a 1994 motor with lots of old worn out parts.

It really says something about a boat that has that many problems and it still represents second only to the superjet.

I have countless hours in my X2. If I had as much money in it as I do in my Superjet, combined with those hours, it would be a better boat than my superjet. However, all that work has been customizing it and it hasn't gotten the parts it needs. I hope to have my new mods done w/in a few months. My Current job is a very big one. I'm afraid I might not be able to represent it in Daytona, but I'm trying to have it at least functioning in time. It's all cut to pieces right now. Like I said, big job. Trying to stay ahead in my school work so I can have some time to work on it, but my free time has been going into riding my SJ and servicing Lisa's new (used) ski rather than building a X2 I don't much need.

Last edited:
Top Bottom