Rebuilt starter, now bendix sticks.

Hey, I bought a SN w/ starting issues, so I yanked the starter and pulled it apart, found a brush spring was broken, replaced it and re-installed it. First crank, it started no problem. Stopped it. Cranked it again, and the start spun, but bendix didn’t engage. Let off. Push start again, started right up.

When I press the start button, 1/5 times, the bendix doesn’t engage, I noticed it after I pulled the starter apart. Is there an alignment issue, or bolts too tight, not enough lubrication on starter shaft that engages bendix? Never had it do this before I pulled the starter, so I’m sure something changed.

appreciate any help.

Sounds like a brush isn't making good contact and only has 1/2 of the torque. I'd pull the starter and check it out again. Take a little sandpaper to the commutator and brush face and put it back together.

Sounds like a brush isn't making good contact and only has 1/2 of the torque. I'd pull the starter and check it out again. Take a little sandpaper to the commutator and brush face and put it back together.
Yeah, when I said “rebuilt”, it was cleaning it with some contact cleaner and replaced the brush spring. I’ll run it and see if it gets better, if not pull I’ll pull it apart again.

Is it hurting anything if I run it like that and see if I can wear the brushes in a bit?

So your starter has 4 brushes, as you probably figured out. If one isn't making contact then one of the two windings will not be used and only work at half strength.

This seems to also happen when people buy non OEM starters that lack the torque the OEM ones do, so you get similar symptoms.

Doubt there is anything wrong from running it if it works, assuming nothing is out of place in the starter.

to the op- you mentioned that the starter spins but engine does not crank.... the bendix might need attention/ replacement. Unfortunately, you'd have to pull the flywheel to access it.. If you do- don't screw the 3 puller screws in any deeper than necessary,- so you don't damage the stator windings.

Top Bottom