Removing JS440 Pump bushing?

I have a new pump bushing but I can't figure out how to get the old one out. Manual says if you don't have the tool you can tap it out with a punch through the grease fitting mounting hole. I've been trying this without success. I'm about to heat it up with a torch and try again, but I figured I'd ask first to see if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

I recall that the material (bronze) is quite brittle...and years ago I managed to break it up quite easily by tapping a smallish screwdriver in between the bush and the pump housing from the seal side (seals removed).

slide hammer with a bolt in the end. use the head to catch the inner lip. if the manual says thru the grease hole, the punch you are using must not be the right one or its rounded,causing it to slip off.

Tried everything. Tried knocking it out from the grease hole, tried splitting it with a chisel, no fin way that thing was coming out. Heat did nothing.

Took it to my buddies motorcycle shop and it took us about 10 tries and 30 minutes with a 2 claw slide hammer. Lots of heat and it finally came out.

Used a long bolt with nuts and washers to pull a new bushing into place. Just waiting on seals. Hope this fixes my tray knocking problem.

the shop manual says to set the entire pump in water and slowly boil it to heat up the casting so that it wont crack, once heated above 200 degrees, use the bearing puller to remove it..

Top Bottom