Removing the flywheel on 650sx

Hey guys,

I've been lurking silently on this thread for a few weeks now learning a lot of great stuff on how to mod my 650sx engine with all the cheap do it yourself upgrades, reading build ups and all of the other great info on here. I have been riding skis since I was little, always owned a Kawi 650sx, my last one having a group k sleeper kit (I grew up in Bullhead City, AZ so they were right down the road from me). So now that my intro is out of the way...

A couple guys from work picked up 3 Kawi 650sx skis over the past few months and since I had some experience with these I offered to help get them running. We got two running just by swapping some parts out of the third ski and in return they gave me the third ski for my troubles! Score for me since I have a soft spot for these but in the process of swapping engines we pinched one of the wires in the CDI box and fried the loom of wires that run into the engine. I figured I would just remake that loom and be on my way. I replaced the bendix on one of the skis using a harmonic balancer puller from Auto Zone to pull the flywheel with no issues, however when I tried pulling it on my motor...no luck. I've got a pry bar wedged through the impeller shaft coupler and the bench, my coffee table in my apartment :), with a long ratchet on the puller side. It's gotten to a point where I'm worried I'm going to break something before the flywheel cracks loose.

My question for you guys is...have any of you had this same issue? Are there any tips for getting these stuck and am I doing something stupid with the way I'm trying to remove it that is going to break something? I sprayed some Justice Brothers penetrating lube in it this morning before I left for work hoping it will soak and pop right off when I get home but in the event that doesn't work...?

Thanks in advance,

Ryland

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
Make sure the puller is pushing against the nose of the crank shaft and not touching the flywheel itself. Otherwise you are just pulling against the flywheel. Get pressure on it and hit it with a soft hammer

Tip your motor on end so that the flywheel is facing up. Put thread tape on the flywheel bolt and put water in the bolt hole. Then thread the bolt in and try to pop it off the same way you have been trying. The water should help pop the flywheel off easier.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Make sure the puller is pushing against the nose of the crank shaft and not touching the flywheel itself. Otherwise you are just pulling against the flywheel. Get pressure on it and hit it with a soft hammer

I know I'm only touching the crank shaft, I'll give the soft hammer trick a go (same technique for pulling ball joints, I should have thought of that)

Tip your motor on end so that the flywheel is facing up. Put thread tape on the flywheel bolt and put water in the bolt hole. Then thread the bolt in and try to pop it off the same way you have been trying. The water should help pop the flywheel off easier.

I'm assuming I should only thread the bolt in partially so that there is room for the flywheel to move?

In rebuilding my 650 motor, I had to use heat and a 4 ft breaker bar to get the rusted flywheel off my crank.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 36

MikeyB

H2O-Addict®
Use an impact gun and run the shaft on the puller down tight, then smack the back of the puller shaft with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, thanks again guys! Glad I found this forum, everyone here seems to be really helpful unlike other forums I belong to (not H2O related). I'll give these techniques a go and let you know how it works out.

-Ryland

Use an impact gun and run the shaft on the puller down tight, then smack the back of the puller shaft with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Mikey, I just noticed you are in Michigan...where abouts? Not trying to impose on help haha, just looking for other people that ride in the area.

So the water trick didn't work, I don't think there is enough volume to use water but gear line probably would have worked. Put the puller back on, tightened it down and gave it a couple hits with a dead blow on the main stud of the puller and off she came. Thanks for the help guys, now I just need to finish struggling to get the new wires through these damn grommets, definitely a PITA.

Ryland

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Even though this thread is a little old I'll add some info I have used in the past. I have removed many a stupid flywheels from 650s. Spray the crap out of it with penetrating oil, I have access to airplane grade stuff so I use that but WD-40 is a close second. LEt it sit for a couple days and that usually does the trick. On the bolt I usually drill a little indention into the bolt so the puller has something to bite unto and won't walk.

The best trick I have used is grab a candle and melt a little wax into the flywheel it'll get into the nooks and crannies and help it loosen. Heat is also your buddy but don't use too much or you could risk damaging the coils.

Top Bottom