Retro Arcades - Bring Em Back?

Every now and then YouTube will randomly recommend a video to me about some old retro arcade game or NES or Sega Genesis. It got me wondering how well would it do to bring back the retro arcade, the games that made video gaming fun. Kijiji has loads of old stand-up arcade games and the like. What do y'all think? Would it see a return or be a short lived fad?Screenshot_20191111-101813.png

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
My buddy has a vending business and since the rise of the smartphone kids are not playing much arcade games anymore.

Theres a few arcade bars in my area that have the machines set to free play. You show up, eat and drink, and get to play all the arcade machines. They've been around for years so they must be successful.

I dont care for crowds or going out though, I just use arcade emulators on my pc to get my fix.

I just built a decent spec gaming pc and am lucky to get a couple hours a week to use it, let alone driving downtown and making a night of it though. Lol

Was just in Nashville last weekend and there's a bar called Headquarters Beercade that has tons of old school arcade games all free to play. They even mounted cup holders on the machines like Dave and Busters. Tapper is one of my favorites, I got a few games in.

Arcade bars are a thing. You make your money from the beer and food. The arcade is just for the nostalgia and things to do.

Wow, I didn't think they were still a thing. It's awesome to know though, I know there's a place in Japan that is hard core on arcade gaming.

I don't think the cell phone industry is quite the same though Q. I bet if these youngens were to experience the real deal it would get some traction. I have a Pac Man type knockoff on my phone, it's nothing at all like the experience from standing at it with the stick and buttons :)

Tapper was fun, so was Timber and Pigout lol. I have MAME on my pc with the smaller ROM set at 60 gigs, there's a big one at 500 gigs but I figured with 30 thousand plus games...60 gigs should do me forever. Sad thing is I almost never play it. Once or twice a year maybe.

I came very close to opening a bad ass modern day arcade bar. I was shooting for 20 high end PC's and Battlefield 4 (at that time).

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
We just got an Arcade Bar and Grill(Crooked Pint Ale House) and a local Arcade this year.

I play a lot of vintage/retro Nintendo consoles at home. My problem with arcades is how exspensive they are. Also the games are not as good as I remember....Donkey Kong or Mario Bros in the arcade are so much slower than the NES version of the same game. I have NBA Jam T.E. on SNES with the 4 player adapter. I have NFL Blitz on N64. I have NES with 4 player Super Off Road and more. Most of the GREAT games I already own(Everdrives for NES, SNES, and N64. Cracked Gamecube with HDMI out).

The hard part is getting your friends to go to the arcade. My Chicken Wing crew takes turns hosting game night. We mostly play Halo 1-4 and Mario Kart 8(Wii U).

I just got the latest and greatest for the N64. The EON Super 64 HDMI and Marseille mClassic line doubler. I can now play N64 games with all kinds of smoothing turned on. I have been playing the N64 catalog for the last three months :)

Long live Retro games!

Zero Client

BeerrroooOOOT!!!
Thread makes me think about the following:

Wreck it Ralph movies
AVGN (Youtube episodes 1 through ~200) Check this one out here: NSFW!:
Video gaming historian (Youtube)
NES and SNES classic

I have an NES Classic, Sega Genesis clone, Classic N64, and a Switch. I really only play the Switch.
For my 40th, wife got me an Arcade-Up version of Space Invaders. Its a free standing but just slightly smaller arcade cabinet.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
My brother has a full sized Asteroids game and a full sized Skee Ball game in his basement along with a pool table, foosball table and ping pong table. So that's my local arcade bar. Of course I bring my own beer since he only supplies Natty Daddys….and......well....umm....yeah......

Top Bottom