Ride Daytona Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
I'm sure I'll be flamed big time for this....but here goes nothing.

Basically, I'm extremely dissapointed in the Daytona coverage in this recent issue of Ride.

Maybe I'm biased, but I felt like the picture selection was weak, and obviously favored east coast riders. Several west coast riders came out and threw down, HARD....and there was nothing. Mike Serlin, Cong, and Christian were the talk of the beach at times, but there are pictures of someone standing on the beach over their ski and a guy rolling in the water. And lets not forget the family photos and pre-teen puppy love. :dunno:

The caption on one picture of Pete inacurately names the rider as John Havel, but on the next page has a quote from Pete on one of his pictures. They didn't notice that it was obviously the same person in both pictures? That's sloppy editing.

And to stick with the topic of sloppy editing....."Kris and Fab - No one ever got their last names." What!? C'mon, Kris is a regular poster at x-h2o, and has a myspace account that's checked fairly often. I don't totally expect the folks at ride to know that, but some pretty simple detective work would have produced an answer.:rolleyes:

I know Pete's going to jump on me and point out that it costs some thousands of dollars a page and they hook us up for free.....but I call BS on that one. The freeride aspect of our sport is taking off like a runaway train. The momentum has started, and it would be a serious mistake for the magazines to NOT print our articles. I agree that some coverage is better than none, but I'm not easily willing to accept mediocrity from an organization who is supposed to be representing our interests.

I feel like the promotion of our sport is a team effort. Everyone involved in this industry has some roll to play in it's success. As far as I'm concerned, Ride didn't pull their weight with this one.

All that being said.....I didn't go to Daytona with the sole intent of getting a magazine shot. I had a great time at the event, and will do it again next year. But I would be lying if somewhere in the back of my head I wasn't excited about a possible new bullet for a resume after all the kind words I got on the beach -

Unfortunately for those trying to get their names out there right now, it seems you'll have to take a back seat to the small group of riders in the AWA camp and pre-teens.

Last edited:

Scorn800

Ride for life
I haven't seen the article yet so I can't comment on it.
It sounds like your just beinging a cry baby about not getting any coverage.

willycrumb

mmmm......beer.....
I know there was a thread on here where Yamaslut was trying to hammer out those details and wasnt getting much response. Not sure how it turned out but I know there was effort made to give proper I.D. to photo's. Usually dont see to many blaster photos.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Where to start.

Pete is how you spell it, Pete. And you're talking about someone else's editing? Everyone messes up. I have a general idea of how magazine editing goes, and based on how quickly they get Ride out and what their budget/staff is, I think they do a great job for the situation.

I feel like I tried to talk to everyone, and never knew Serlin was there until after the sickest trick contest, and have no idea who the other 2 people you mentioned are/were there.

Also, the point of a freeride is not 'to get your name out there', it's to ride and have fun.

But maybe I'm way offbase too.

I'm sure I'll be flamed big time for this....but here goes nothing.

Basically, I'm extremely dissapointed in the Daytona coverage in this recent issue of Ride.

Maybe I'm biased, but I felt like the picture selection was weak, and obviously favored east coast riders. Several west coast riders came out and threw down, HARD....and there was nothing. Mike Serlin, Cong, and Christian were the talk of the beach at times, but there are pictures of someone standing on the beach over their ski and a guy rolling in the water. And lets not forget the family photos and pre-teen puppy love. :dunno:

The caption on one picture of Peat inacurately names the rider as John Havel, but on the next page has a quote from Peat on one of his pictures. They didn't notice that it was obviously the same person in both pictures? That's sloppy editing.

And to stick with the topic of sloppy editing....."Kris and Fab - No one ever got their last names." What!? C'mon, Kris is a regular poster at x-h2o, and has a myspace account that's checked fairly often. I don't totally expect the folks at ride to know that, but some pretty simple detective work would have produced an answer.:rolleyes:

I know Pete's going to jump on me and point out that it costs some thousands of dollars a page and they hook us up for free.....but I call BS on that one. The freeride aspect of our sport is taking off like a runaway train. The momentum has started, and it would be a serious mistake for the magazines to NOT print our articles. I agree that some coverage is better than none, but I'm not easily willing to accept mediocrity from an organization who is supposed to be representing our interests.

I feel like the promotion of our sport is a team effort. Everyone involved in this industry has some roll to play in it's success. As far as I'm concerned, Ride didn't pull their weight with this one.

All that being said.....I didn't go to Daytona with the sole intent of getting a magazine shot. I had a great time at the event, and will do it again next year. But I would be lying if somewhere in the back of my head I wasn't excited about a possible new bullet for a resume after all the kind words I got on the beach -

Unfortunately for those trying to get their names out there right now, it seems you'll have to take a back seat to the small group of riders in the AWA camp and pre-teens.

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
I thought it was fine. I think they should have gotten a shot from the water to show how many people were there. I was amazed at the amount of ski's looking from the water to the beach.

I took the photos and sent them in. The art director of Hammock publishing chooses the photos to use. I don't know who the art director is, and I doubt he/she knows any of us. So I highly doubt there is any east/west bias. They just choose the photos they like and run it.
As for name typos, I don't think I've ever seen any magazine without a few typos or wrong names. Hell I've seen RacerX misspell Carmichael, and caption a photo of Ivan Tedesco as Chad Reed. Mistakes happen.
That being said I think Ride did an awesome job covering Daytona, and Slutty did a great write-up! :woot:
Thank you AWA for giving Freerides the press they deserve!!! :cheer:

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Local preference? I don't know.
But it I seem to remember that not one single east coaster was picked for the JK contest last year, despite several open "reserve" slots and dropouts.

I don't really have a point, other than: it happens, and goes both ways.

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
Where to start.

Pete is how you spell it, Pete. And you're talking about someone else's editing? Everyone messes up. I have a general idea of how magazine editing goes, and based on how quickly they get Ride out and what their budget/staff is, I think they do a great job for the situation.

I though it looked kind of funny when I was typing it....just wasn't totally sure why. :haha: And my editing and Ride's editing is apples to oranges. See how easy mine was fixed :wink:

Also, the point of a freeride is not 'to get your name out there', it's to ride and have fun.

Eh, maybe agree to disagree. I take that back, you are right....the ultimate point of the freeride is to have fun and ride. But in at a close 2nd is riding, showing off, putting your sh*t out there.

I'm not personaly criticizing anyone here, just expressing an area that I felt needed some improvement. Apparently that makes me a cry baby.

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
Local preference? I don't know.
But it I seem to remember that not one single east coaster was picked for the JK contest last year, despite several open "reserve" slots and dropouts.

I don't really have a point, other than: it happens, and goes both ways.

I was actually going to make that same point....and as I recall, there were some that felt jipped by that situation too.

RonnyMac said:
I took the photos and sent them in. The art director of Hammock publishing chooses the photos to use. I don't know who the art director is, and I doubt he/she knows any of us. So I highly doubt there is any east/west bias. They just choose the photos they like and run it.
Ronny, I want to re-emphasize that I wasn't pointing blame at anyone personally. I know you took some killer pictures, I realized that you probably had little to do with the ones that were printed. It's dissapointing that the art director and folks at ride aren't familiar with our sport.

Last edited:
I just think that there should be a magazine devoted to only Freeriding, racing, and Freestyle!... Basicaly a Magazine for the pole ski riders...... I looked through Nick's issue, and that section of the mag was all I that I enjoyed...... the rest of that mag didnt have much to offer. IMHO> Much like all the other Jet Ski Magazines that are out there...... Maybe I have just flipped through way to many MX magaizines.

Rickster

Matakana Menace
I was not there this year, but based on what I experienced last year and heard about this year, the article/pictures did not do it justice.

That being said, there is not an issue of ride that does not have some sort of free ride coverage in it, so we should all be grateful.:purr:

kingnothing3

give me fuel give me fire
I just think that there should be a magazine devoted to only Freeriding, racing, and Freestyle!... Basicaly a Magazine for the pole ski riders...... I looked through Nick's issue, and that section of the mag was all I that I enjoyed...... the rest of that mag didnt have much to offer. IMHO> Much like all the other Jet Ski Magazines that are out there...... Maybe I have just flipped through way to many MX magaizines.

I agree but our sport is not big enough yet to fill an entire magazine with well written articles every month. Also RIDE magazine is a bonus. I would help the AWA with or without the magazine. I do enjoy it though!

now that being said, I was a little disapointed in the Daytona coverage. Not because I wasnt in it or it was the same three people(which pete and paul you got to addmit:cool2: are favored) I was disapointed because it was the biggest freeride event to date, tons of pros and joes there all for a good cause and we only got three pages. Ive seen two pages about wake skating in the mag, you would think the biggest freeride would get more coverage than some teens wakeskating, something that has little to nothing to do with our sport.

willycrumb

mmmm......beer.....
That being said, there is not an issue of ride that does not have some sort of free ride coverage in it, so we should all be grateful.:purr:

You hit the nail on the head. Freeride is barely even a spec on the radar.

That said. I just got my issue of ride and it could be better....way better.

Nascency Chris

The Nascency Project

actually there is a mag just like this...one issue so far but it is brand new and the guy putting it together is super, super nice...nice slick, page layout, racing and freeride articles...things pertinent to what we want to see...

http://www.jetsportsmagazine.com

please don't take this as a jab at Ride, because it is not. I agree with everyone else that they do a TON for the sport, and we appreciate all of it for sure.Being that Ride is part and parcel of the AWA, you would have to be a bonehead not to support them...

that being said i think jerry has some valid points. aren't we allowed differing opinions from time to time? isn't the purpose of a message board to air those opinions?

look at it like this...as a group don't we police ourselves pretty well when we have and attend freerides? don't we owe it to ourselves and everyone involved in the sport to keep that in mind in regards to all aspects of the sport?

This thread is like a homeless guy who is given a sandwich, then bitches how its not good enough.
Pathetic, disappointing, and ungrateful.

EvanB85

Team Poseur
actually there is a mag just like this...one issue so far but it is brand new and the guy putting it together is super, super nice...nice slick, page layout, racing and freeride articles...things pertinent to what we want to see...

http://www.jetsportsmagazine.com

Minor threadjack... but any more details on this? It wouldn't take much for me to subsribe to such a magazine. Looks like it is Austrailian based? Has anyone seen an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom