riding style for fast skis

Just wondering if anyone has ever turned your old faithful slug into a rocket and had to totally change your riding style.

I dumped 5 grand into my 650 square over the winter and now riding it is like a different sport altogether - comparable to the difference between a couch and a stand-up.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has ever turned your old faithful slug into a rocket and had to totally change your riding style.

I dumped 5 grand into my 650 square over the winter and now riding it is like a different sport altogether - comparable to the difference between a couch and a stand-up.

Can't say I know what you are talking about, yet..

What all did you do to your ski? It sounds pretty awesome..

It was a slug before. I got a 61x motor, hotrod crank, sent to Group K for their full-meal-deal, lightened flywheel, bored reduction nozzle, MSD enhancer, ported cases, "Solas I" sent to Impros to repitch for low end, sent a bunch of stuff to JSS for some TLC. Some other things that were just basic maintance (rebuild pump, new midshaft, cables, etc) but 5 grand disappeared really quick.

Maybe this ski is mild by some folks' standards, I'm not sure. I was just surprised how differently the new ski has to be ridden - leaning far over handlebars to keep the front end down - throw it into a turn any old way and it shoots out like a bullet. With the old motor I had to keep the momentum up rather than turning sharp and relying on its non-existent low end power. Now I basically just try to aim for the next buoy, hold on tight and pull the trigger.

Anyway I was just curious if anyone else found that they had to adjust their riding style much when they got a much faster motor.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Your old 650 sounds like my current 650.

I will say though GroupK builds some SICK motors. My friend has a 650 "Hammer" in his ski and it rips crazy style, can't imagine what a 701 is like...

Sounds like your ski is insanely cool now. Not mild by my standards.... Lets see some pics:headbang:

Lets see some pics:headbang:
The old girl's not much to look at inside or out.

Especially inside - a true Frankenski.

Notice the minimalist fuel lines.

Oh well. It does a good job of pulling my arms out of their sockets.

Attachments

• ski.jpg
    ski.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 64
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Ken Reeves rides the bag off his square nose in masters class at world finals.. Always fun to see an older boat knife in and pull away from a limited hydro!

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Ken Reeves rides the bag off his square nose in masters class at world finals.. Always fun to see an older boat knife in and pull away from a limited hydro!
Got that right, one of the best riders in the NW.

Especially inside - a true Franenski.

Nice clean ski BTW, very nice form of abstract expressionism.. If your racing it I know of a few guys (and had a chance to chat with Ken at Kokomos and also found out) that put upwards of 30lbs under the motor and nose to keep it planted. Not so good of a mod for freestyle..

Really! I was going to ask if adding extra weight to the front would make sense but didn't want to get laughed out of here. I will replace the new micro fuel tank with the original stocker to see how much that helps first. Thanks...................

jap7t8

Spring Fever...

Especially inside - a true Frankenski.

Not much to look at? Looks pretty damn nice and clean to me. What pipe is that? I can't afford to send the 650 off to Group K yet, so I am taking baby steps. Pipe is my first planned mod.

Thanks. Its a coffman sizzler pipe. If I were you I would start looking for a 701 factory pipe now - they seem to be rare. Run it on your 650 now, and if you upgrade to a 701 later, you've already got your pipe.

That thing should be night and day I would think. Heck yea you will need to actually ride it now.... like aggressively own that biatch....

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
i did the same thing. went from a weak badly needing a rebuild bone stock 61x to what i have now. it was stock pipe, everything.
new 46SBN
B pipe
ported cylinder
ada head at about 185psi
impeller
msd enhancer

other stuff im sure but thats the bulk of it. and jsut like you it was a night and day difference :)

i think most people build them slowly and a piece at a time, especially their first boats, but i liked the huge jump in performance. it was thrilling. but yes, i had to learn to ride all over again :)

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
Thanks. Its a coffman sizzler pipe. If I were you I would start looking for a 701 factory pipe now - they seem to be rare. Run it on your 650 now, and if you upgrade to a 701 later, you've already got your pipe.

Nice. Thanks for the advice. Is the 701 factory a wet or dry pipe? And it will run on a basically stock 650?

Top Bottom