Riding with Knee Brace Help

I'm new to the site and have read plenty of threads for miscellaneous topics...now I need help on figuring out how to keep my straps for my custom knee brace from slipping. I have a torn PCL and a custom $1,000 donjoy brace...even with the physical therapy, there is no way I can ride without it. The brace itself is great, and used for all kinds of activities (hockey, gym, running, etc.). Now that it's the middle of jet skiing season, the velco straps blow off after a hard spill. It worked great under my baggy drysuit during the colder days. But with shorts and bare skin, the thing just falls off! It almost sunk to the bottom of the lake last weekend. Duck tape works, but is a pain in the rear to tape it up every time you ride...not to mention, the tape is slowly taking the soft material away from my straps. I saw on a wakeboarding forum that guys have added snaps. Anyone got good advice? Thanks

I also have a torn PCL and ACL. I wore a brace for a couple years for Motocross. The trick was getting the strap that goes behind your knee and above your calf tight enough to prevent the brace from slipping down. In water duct tape may be the only way.

After a couple years the muscles get strong enough to ride with no brace. My PCL is still wasted but I ride without one now and don't even thick about it anymore.

Good luck!

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
The force of high speed water impacts is pretty spectacular. If duct tape works, what about some extra velcro straps overtop of the originals? You can get some pretty wide sticky stuff.

Or as another option, is there any way to add a webbing snap like on a hood strap?

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
Maybe a neoprene knee sleeve large enough to slide over your donjoy brace. I had an ACL graft and dual meniscectomy in February. I bought a set of Asterisk knee braces and they are great! They use a buckle/drawstring combo. No issues in the water thus far. Many top motocross riders are now using them instead of their CTi's. Pretty cheap compared to customs also.

Glory_Freestyle

Old, but still ridin'!!!
I tore my ACL and MCL two years ago and ride with probably the exact same Donjoy brace as you do. Had the same problem.

Easy K.I.S.S. method to keep the straps from blowing open: Put a small zip tie around the strap at the end of the velcro, about 3/4 - 1 inch from the end . Slip the zip tie between the strap and the pad so it's not directly on your leg but don't tighten the zip tie tight. Leave it just loose enough so you can slip the end of the velcro through it after you've tightened the strap and secured the velcro.

Not so much of a K.I.S.S method: Sew a small strip of 1/2 inch nylon strap onto the straps at 3/4 - 1 inch from the end of the velcro, then just slip the end through after tightening.

The zip tie method has worked just fine for me.

Thanks for the ideas...I lwill try the zip ties this weekend, they seem to be cheap and fairly quick and simple...which means less time messing with the brace and more time riding!

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Maybe a neoprene knee sleeve large enough to slide over your donjoy brace. I had an ACL graft and dual meniscectomy in February. I bought a set of Asterisk knee braces and they are great! They use a buckle/drawstring combo. No issues in the water thus far. Many top motocross riders are now using them instead of their CTi's. Pretty cheap compared to customs also.

You sure that ain't hornydogg, loser! The donjoy is crap,torn acl last Feb.As soon as l could get riding again l used the donjoy.Never could keep in the correct position and l tried all sorts of things the tech suggested.Asterisk is the way to go.Donjoy: $800 for one knee, Asterisk: $600 for both knees. lf l had to do it over...

Ryan_625 just got hiw full knee replaced and he is having the same problem. He has Astrisk and Cti2 full carbon knee braces he uses for moto and skiing. He always has a problem with them catching the water and pulling down, or just falling down from riding.

I HAVE to wear a knee brace right now because like Travis said I just got my knee rebuilt. I shattered the top of my tibia which according to my doc can be worse then doing the tendons. Anyway I've been riding in mt Asterisk braces and they are alright but I feel like the knee cup catches water and pulls them down, or they will slowly slide down and Ill have to keep pulling them up as I ride. I'm picking up a new Edge open framed carbon knee brace this weekend, Its made by CTi and I got my insurance to cover it. I worked with my doctor to get this pretty much just got riding ski's so I'll let you know how it works! :crutches:

Top Bottom