riva stroker engines, geared toward racing or freestyle?

Hey everyone.

Well the modding bug hits harder every time I log on here and now that my ankle is out of commision for 4 weeks if not more might just go big engine and be done with it. I was looking at the Riva porting setups listed on there website and it just mentions more power and top speed. Anyone have experience with Riva porting for 61x cylinders.

Next is I am tempted to buy a stroker Riva engine used. Its a 61x stock bore w/ 4 mil crank. cases are ported, not sure if epoxied. Whats the performance of these engines? I want low end and I know this can mostly be solved by prop changes later but if its built for low end then I would rather have that. kinda like a jetmaniac engine.

Right now i basically have a riva 5mil stroker 81mm bore or a jetmaniac 718 to choose from. 718 is just next size up pistons and cylinder porting. no case changes.

Some input how each is or any back to back comparison would be great. Google search brings up almost nothing on Riva stroker engines that go to fourms w/ any good info.

jahimmelspach

Having A Blast
I have an old 5mm Riva Stroker, currently on 85mm bore. It came out of a waveblaster 2. It's in a Superjet now and it rips. Really fun freeride ski and big water ski when correct supporting mods are used.

Last edited:
the stroker im looking at has the 61x cylinders with a spacer between the head and cylinder deck. is this normal? Its got a riva head setup w/ 210 psi. I wasnt looking to run race gas at 8 bucks a gal. are these heads easy to change out domes or do i need specialty domes? i got an ada head i could buy new domes for if it fits and squish clearances agree.

jahimmelspach

Having A Blast
The spacer plate is normal. I have one on mine. And same with compression. A 50/50 110-93 seems to do the trick for me. Can run wot without a problem. And save a couple bucks

Big Kahuna

Administrator
If its an old Riva Stroker, then most likely, it is set up for racing....... does not mean it will not work, there is more to tuning than just the port timing. Prop Size, Nozzle Size, Pipe Setup, Intake Grate all goes into tuning a ski.

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
Maniac motor will be plug and play with his settings. The stroker will take time and patience to tune in correctly, and probably lead to more expensive bolt on's to support it. The short block might seem like a good price, but by the time you're done with it you'll prolly be into it a lot deeper than expected.

IMO, a ported stock stroke is the way to go unless you can afford big power.

Well i got a buckshot 48 or dual 44s ported b mod pipe setp rest is basically stock besides reeds, hooker 10/16 freestyle cone abd planned to bore nozzle. Any way to tell by a picture of the exh ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jahimmelspach

Having A Blast
I run a mod b pipe, dual 46s, tbm flywheel, msd enhancer, solas mag with 10/16 hooker on that 5mm 95bore and it has plenty of low end for a race built engine. (and that's coming off of a xs1000 in a flat water hull) you can't go wrong either way. I've had reliable success with my old Stroker once we got it dialed in.

jahimmelspach

Having A Blast
Well i got a buckshot 48 or dual 44s ported b mod pipe setp rest is basically stock besides reeds, hooker 10/16 freestyle cone abd planned to bore nozzle. Any way to tell by a picture of the exh ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the plug and play maniac comment above is very true. Make sure you have some extra cash and patience on tap if you go the Stroker route. I think it was worth it.

Top Bottom