RN drive shaft

ski4

gonzo
do you have the superjet shop manual?
if not let me know and i'll send you the pdf file
it walks you though how to do that?

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
are you talking about how to align the 2 couplers together? sounds like you want to know how you know for sure how to tell if your driveshaft lines up with the intermediate shaft when you insert the driveshaft into the back... I have never worried about this alignment... I just align the 2 couplers as per the manual (without the rubber dampener in place) but leave about 1/4" space between the couplers for freestyle type riding... as far as the driveshaft to the intermediate shaft alignment...: I dont know if it is even an issue?

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
With the pump in, the midshaft should be flat to the firewall probably. Could be checked with a feeler guage.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Crab... where would you put the feeler gage to check? you mean the midshaft would be perpenicular to the firewall?
Yes, the microfisch shows some shims there on parts diagrams, but I havn't seen any on ski's I have looked at. You do see shims at the pump however.

ski4

gonzo
brian, you just spent a lot I dough on a new shaft
make sure its all lined up. Basically put the pump on with the mid shaft off. Then look to see that the shaft is in the center of the firewall. Shim if needed.
Then install the mid shaft and install the pump and make sure all slide together smooth

Ericfox

Do it twice?That's DooDoo
oh.... ok... that makes sense.... I did not imagine it with the midshaft off... so the driveshaft from the pump is just kinda hanging there and you can align it by using pump shims accordingly... then the midshaft mounts onto the firewall which is fixed, so that has no issues... then you align the other coupler from the engine with the midshaft coupler using your engine mount spacers and then its all good... make sure you leave about 1/4" between the couplers though... the manual calls for a tighter tolerance between the couplers... but for freestyle there will be a greater movement of the engine when the ski impacts, so you want a larger space between the couplers so they dont hit and break... right?

Last edited:
With engine and mid carrier removed, install the pump. Now look at the drive shaft - the splined part- in the engine compartment. It should be centered in the hole. Temporarily slide on the bearing carrier, if you have to pick it up with more force than the weight of the drooping shaft to line up the 3 mounting holes (actually the locating pin), then you need to shim the rear of the pump housing - this would bring the tip of the drive shaft up. Sometimes, although rarely, you need to shim one of the mounting tabs of the carrier if there is a gap. After you've done these two items you are ready to shim the engine for proper coupler alignment.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
1. mount pump
2. mount midshaft.
3. using a feeler guage, measure around the midshaft housing where the bolts go through, see if the gap is the same all the way around. if there is more gap at the top, then install some shims at the rear bolts of the pump to to get the midshaft housing flush with the bulk head, you may still need one thin shim at the midshaft.
4. install motor without rubber dampner. check your alignment at 4 positions around the couplers, check for up and down and left and right alignment as well. Shim where necessary.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
1. mount pump
2. mount midshaft. (do not tighten down the bolts, just use them to hold the housing - drive shaft will help with this also)
3. using a feeler guage, measure around the midshaft housing where the bolts go through, see if the gap is the same all the way around. if there is more gap at the top, then install some shims at the rear bolts of the pump to to get the midshaft housing flush with the bulk head, you may still need one thin shim at the midshaft.
4. install motor without rubber dampner. check your alignment at 4 positions around the couplers, check for up and down and left and right alignment as well. Shim where necessary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom