rockered sj porpoising issue

Hey guys, I just got my rockered -2 sj on the water. I'm running a stock intake grate and extended blowsio n ride plate. It porpoised so bad it was hard to control. Any suggestions on reducing or eliminating the porpoising? Thank you!

Hey guys, I just got my rockered -2 sj on the water. I'm running a stock intake grate and extended blowsio n ride plate. It porpoised so bad it was hard to control. Any suggestions on reducing or eliminating the porpoising? Thank you!

That's what happens when you rocker an sj. Just have to change your riding style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by " change your riding style" ?

I mean you rocker a superjet so the water pushes the nose up for freestyle tricks. The hull is working as designed. You dont rocker a superjet to chase buoys, or make it handle better on plane at higher speeds. That's like saying I lowered my truck and now it's sucks at off-roading.

I am most certainly not chasing bouys, I rockered my sj to keep the nose from going under while riding waves. Although I'm not looking for good handling at high speed, there are times where going in a straight line is vital to riding, therein lies my problem. I'm not looking to rock crawl a lowered truck or buoy Chase my rockered sj, but I'd like to reduce the porpoising If possible.

I am most certainly not chasing bouys, I rockered my sj to keep the nose from going under while riding waves. Although I'm not looking for good handling at high speed, there are times where going in a straight line is vital to riding, therein lies my problem. I'm not looking to rock crawl a lowered truck or buoy Chase my rockered sj, but I'd like to reduce the porpoising If possible.

I'm just saying you have to reduce your speed, lean forward and deal with it. That's all I found to work.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
You'll need to have your stance more forward. A shorter pole can help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

djraider700

lol wut?
Rocker shouldn't have anything to with the porpoising at speed, it's not even in the water at that point. The -2 at the rear is the culprit. You're just gonna have to play with body position and some intake grate/ride plate combos to get it where you want. My SJ didn't porpoise before or after the rocker, wot top speed or otherwise.

Do you have any suggestions for ride plate/Intake grate combos? Thanks!!

Rocker shouldn't have anything to with the porpoising at speed, it's not even in the water at that point. The -2 at the rear is the culprit. You're just gonna have to play with body position and some intake grate/ride plate combos to get it where you want. My SJ didn't porpoise before or after the rocker, wot top speed or otherwise.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I'd say the rocker is definitely causing it, I have ridding many superjets -2" to -4" and don't notice a significant difference in high speed handling. Every ski with additional rocker angle that I have ridden handles poorly at high speed.

djraider700

lol wut?
I'd say the rocker is definitely causing it, I have ridding many superjets -2" to -4" and don't notice a significant difference in high speed handling. Every ski with additional rocker angle that I have ridden handles poorly at high speed.

What ride plate/intake grate setups? On plane, my SJ is only in the water from about mid hull back, nowhere near where I added the additional rocker. Carter B kit by the way. Rocker starts kicking in from the fuel tank forward.

What ride plate/intake grate setups? On plane, my SJ is only in the water from about mid hull back, nowhere near where I added the additional rocker. Carter B kit by the way. Rocker starts kicking in from the fuel tank forward.

But when you rockered it you shortened the hull significantly causing the weight displacement to be much different. Shorter pole, adjust stance forward, extended ride plate if you have too.

djraider700

lol wut?
About 3 inches shorter and a few pounds lighter isn't significant in my book. Especially when it's not even touching the water at speed. More difference can be seen between a full and empty tank of fuel.

About 3 inches shorter and a few pounds lighter isn't significant in my book. Especially when it's not even touching the water at speed. More difference can be seen between a full and empty tank of fuel.

Well the hull I rockered weighed in at under 100 lbs when it was done. Maybe I did something wrong.

djraider700

lol wut?
Under a hundred pounds from just a rocker? Man, I must have done my rocker wrong then. No wonder that SJ handles way different.

Top Bottom