Blaster Rockers and Shorties - Gimme the Low Down

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
There sure are an awful lot of new blaster faces around here these days, and quite a few avatars of folks rolling - love to see that!

I realized recently that I'm way out of the loop with what folks are doing to Blaster hulls these days. I had no idea people were doing rocker mods and chopping a bunch of length off. Hell, I just figured everyone had given up on the old girl and moved to aftermarket standup hulls.

I hate to be the jerk that doesn't use the search, but it's killing me to dig through all the various Blaster threads to put together enough useful info, so I was hoping we could make this the canonical thread that is the summary of all the bitchin'est Blaster mods of the day.

Mainly, I want to know more about the rocker nose and shortened hulls - how do they handle? Pros, Cons? I'd love more info than "great in the surf", riding pictures or video would be awesome too. Seat, steering, hoods?

I've got two Blaster hulls sitting in my driveway that I was going to just throw out, but after a looong hiatus I'm getting the Blaster itch again, and think I'm going to build one to go alongside the SuperJet, like old times.

-Jerry

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I just sold my rockered/chopped hull but here's a link to the build thread:
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/111095-Freestyle-Surf-B1-build&highlight=

This is a necessary mod IMO for the B1. A B1 is fun in surf anyways but once you chop a few inches off the back to loosen it up and add rocker to the nose to prevent pearling, you can really thrash it and throw it around in surf. Without a big engine I was easily able to just hop out of water and spin 180 degrees in the air on totally flat water... Basically nose stab but not super inverted. Thats not crazy by any means but a stock B1 just feels like a heavy pig thats glued to the water once you ride a hull with these mods. Fiberglass cutting, shaping, and sanding sucks but it pays off in the end
I plan on building myself a Gen2 surf B1 hull with even more cutting, chopping, shaping, moving, etc. :)
my ideas will remain secret until I try them out (most people wouldn't care to get this involved anyway)

Last edited:

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
Wow, I expected more responses, but I guess not many people have been running these mods in the US?

Looks like the Aussies are leading the trail in this arena. Hopefully I'll be able to add some info -- I'm fairly certain I'm going to build one of these things. I've had the blaster itch for a while, but these shortened "flickable" hulls just look like too much fun to ignore.

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I will also say that chopping 3.5" off the back made the B1 much more flickable but still left me wanting to loosen it up more. You west coast guys don't have to worry about shallow water and sandbar smashing as bad as we do but I busted a steering nozzle on a sandbar after chopping the back. My next B1 will have a rockered nose, Tubbies, and I'll probably chop the rear 3" but also move the whole pump section forward 3" and use a SJ driveshaft to keep the nozzles tucked in... and add some rocker to the rear and possibly recess the intake grate cavity and center chine directly in front of it just to keep the hull loose while using an aggressive scoop grate. I considered splitting the hull and lowering the bottom deck for better center of gravity but thats getting carried away for a B1. Cats outa the bag... Post pics of your project once you get started.

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
We might not have as many shallow sandbars, but I'm definitely concerned with a nozzle sticking out the back of the ski. I'm not sure I'm willing to go through the trouble of moving the whole pump cavity, though I do like the idea of using a superjet driveshaft.

To be honest, I don't particularly like doing fiberglass work. I don't have the equipment or the patience to do a really good job with shaping from scratch. I also don't want to find myself with an incredibly unique hull that is entirely un-reproducable.

I think mostly I'm looking to add a bit of "fun" to the Blaster. I don't think any of these hull mods are requisites to having a capable surf ski - the stock hull is quite versatile - but something a bit more nimble seems like it could open up some possibilities.

Hey Jerry jay here I've done a few rockers in my time I also flipped and rolled a stocker and compared to a stocker it's like flipping and rolling a Kwai compared to a rickter.and cut right in the ass end they handle 10 times better in turns and slashes.ALot of fellas over cut the ass in my opinion and really loosens the ass end up quick is ok but when hitting the bigger stuff hull bottom drops out from under you after leaving the wave making it Very difficult to trick up ( seat grabs , can cans eg).but great for flips in the smaller stuff when cutting the ass end rolls are ridiculously fast over rotation is a common problem for me in the bigger surf . lucky for me I believe my latest creation is the perfect blend cut and glassed to suit me my riding style and the condition s I ski in and that's really the key!!! nose is a must no matter what ,ass end depends on surf you rid in, -3 -2 great if you ride flat and are smaller mine cut to ride plate bolts so I can utilize stock plate flips off small or big surf rolls off boat wake or big surf still launches and easy to trick up but also something to consider I weigh 93kg and am 6 2" pure muscle lol good luck oh yeah steering also makes life 50 times beter I run 701 ind steer only steer to run on any blaster IMO

Last edited:

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
Hey Jerry jay here I've done a few rockers in my time I also flipped and rolled a stocker and compared to a stocker it's like flipping and rolling a Kwai compared to a rickter.and cut right in the ass end they handle 10 times better in turns and slashes.ALot of fellas over cut the ass in my opinion and really loosens the ass end up quick is ok but when hitting the bigger stuff hull bottom drops out from under you after leaving the wave making it Very difficult to trick up ( seat grabs , can cans eg).but great for flips in the smaller stuff when cutting the ass end rolls are ridiculously fast over rotation is a common problem for me in the bigger surf .

I'm a fairly small guy - 5' 8" 165lbs, so I suspect chopping the back off isn't going to be as detrimental to me. Any blaster with enough steering can over rotate in big surf (in my experience), but I prefer fighting to slow things down rather than speed them up.

I always had aspirations to do a blaster roll on flat and/or behind a boat wake! Sounds completely ludicrous and fun.

964Chris

FREEdumb obtained
We have this kit coming over from Australia in the next couple of weeks. If there is enough interest we'll start reproducing and selling them. Follow us on facebook for the most up to date info.

http://www.facebook.com/701Industries

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

fridayrocker.jpg

Last edited:

964Chris

FREEdumb obtained
Not the same as Carter's kit. This one replaces the nose....deletes the fuel filler and has a different contour. Either kit will work, just depends on what you like. If you're gonna get a kit from carter be sure to contact him soon. He'll be moving to Australia after the Freeride. Our pricing will be slightly higher.

todc207

Drama diffuser
Ummmmm that think is sweet! Love everything I have seen from you guys so far. It was to rushed to finish my rocker hull before Daytona so I'm riding a stock hull but I'll be ordering some stuff right after for sure. Keep up the great work.

964Chris

FREEdumb obtained
Soon.....hahaha. I've learned not to put dates out any more.......inevitably, they will be broken for one reason or another.

BlasterDisaster

Back Flips & Barrel Rolls
haha true story. i'm picking up a hull to rocker and chop at the freeride... i guess i need to start saving my pennies so i can order the exhaust, struts, steering, and rocker all at once sometime this spring hopefully.

I love my blaster I wish there was a kit to flat deck it. I know people do it but it looks like a lot of work. I would say if I had a choice i would rocker the nose and leave it stock after that. I'm just scared to chop up number 7. Any of you guys ever make down to Ca ventura area lets ride you can flush at my pad motor.jpg

Top Bottom