Custom/Hybrid Roo's Superfreak

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
took delivery of the hull about 2 weeks ago. all carbon model, weighed 63.25 lbs on the shipping scale WITH hood.

1 week into the paint, and 1 week into the assembly. the goal was to have it done for the 4th of July holiday weekend (successful, but barely!) this was pretty rushed together as i only have a few hours every evening to wrench after work on this.

this is my personal best paint job to date - i finally went out and dropped the money on a Sata JET 3000 gun. man what a difference it makes. base coat laid down AWESOME. it is the clear coat i need to work on dialing in a little bit better. orange peel is very minimal and could be wet sanded / buffed to a "show car" finish easily but... NO THANKS :no: i just want to ride with what is left of our short Michigan season.

i need to fab up a new battery mount in one of the back corners so i can run the new PowerFactor Waterbox (PowerBox) in the stock battery location, and work on the gas tank straps/mounts. the one on riders right kept coming undone. the mounts for the tank are in a bad location for this gas tank (they literally sit under the tank... supposedly setup for this gas tank...). the tank currently sits on top of a piece of 25mm padding to keep it above the mounts. the mounts really need to be .5 to 1" spaced further apart in either direction.

the pump was quite a chore to get lined up and working - had to grind the bolt holes larger on the pump tabs to push the pump further towards the pump shoe. the seal between the pump and pump shoe has to be modified (cut out half of the metal piece that keeps the rubber from collapsing). some grinding on the reduction nozzle in spots as well. the ride plate i am running is super thin carbon, so i ran washers/spacers make it flush with the hull. if i ran a "normal" / thicker ride plate, i would have had to grind the bottom of the pump to make the ride plate fit (or channel the ride plate). the intake grate needed some washers/spacers and grinding to make work correct as well (i am running a worx 228).

the handle pole... yikes never want to do that again. i know this hull was not designed to work with the RRP pole but it is possible. i AM running a spring with the RRP spring accessory from my old handle pole bracket mount. the bushings had to be shaved down a good bit to fit between the brackets. the whole thing had to be assembled then dropped in. the two bottom/front bolts that connect the bracket plates to the hull were quite a bit of fun (for those who know what i am talking about). this part took most of my time.

enough about the tech stuff... how does it ride?

RETARDED :headbang: this thing is BADASS! :barrel:it feels like in reality i lost a couple hundred pounds and riding a feather. handling is incredible. spins out when you want it to, yet handles / carves when you want it to. I LOVE THIS HULL. BIG AIR / HANG TIME!

that's all i have for now - enjoy the pics.

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4159.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
It looks good man. What is the turf for in the last pic? Flame arrestor?

Nice Trinity too

i run prok's, then enclose with turf - does a GREAT job at keeping any water out of the motor that might get in the engine bay.

looks a little hack, but function over form. i have been doing this for a couple years now and love the results.

trinity is my neighbors - all carbon, 1000cc kawi.

Last edited:
Guess I needed to look closer at those pics!

I hate nose high skis so I ordered longer. Mine actually rides too flat. Thinking I could have gone a little shorter yet. Originally I was even considering full length. Glad I didn't do that!

There are definitely some tricks to assembly. I could build a second one way faster than my first.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
IMAG0274.jpg

i drilled holes on either ride for the red stops, but the one on riders right would not work do to the different shape of the handle pole lower on that side (hint: measure twice, cut once (or DON'T for that matter)). the bolt is simply to fill the hole.

ideally, it would be better to have some kind of plate to help support this area, but there is hardly any flex when the pole is all the way down... i trust it :headbang:

will do the plate idea on the rebuild (i.e. winter, when i have more time)

don't mind the orange peel in this area - its nasty :highhorse:

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
Guess I needed to look closer at those pics!

I hate nose high skis so I ordered longer. Mine actually rides too flat. Thinking I could have gone a little shorter yet. Originally I was even considering full length. Glad I didn't do that!

There are definitely some tricks to assembly. I could build a second one way faster than my first.

the front end comes up REAL quick when jumping - like crazy quick.

starting out from a dead stop, it is a bit nose high, but quickly planes out. perfect really.

however, i am only 160 lbs. someone bigger then me, might be an issue.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
the front end comes up REAL quick when jumping - like crazy quick.

starting out from a dead stop, it is a bit nose high, but quickly planes out. perfect really.

however, i am only 160 lbs. someone bigger then me, might be an issue.

That's been my experience as well. Comes up crazy fast when you want it to, but is controllable and planes out fast. For reference, I'm 185lbs and have the -4.3 hull

Looks great Roo ! These skis are sensitive to the set up and you can change the way it rides with reduction nozzle , ride plate, pole length, intake grate, pump setup.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
Berky, You make some awesome boats. I will own one hopefully soooooooooooooon !

yes he does - highly recommend to anyone!

people to remember to, this is not just a lightweight hull, but a hull with many unique characteristics as far as design and functionality goes. the ride really is incredible. it is the best of all worlds.

dang, that was a fast build... great work dude!

thanks man.

I love the "holding it over the head" shot variation!

heh ya that was the first time seeing the paint job outside - i was geek'd. girlfriend said "let me try, let me try".

Looks great Roo ! These skis are sensitive to the set up and you can change the way it rides with reduction nozzle , ride plate, pole length, intake grate, pump setup.

thanks Tem - glad finally after a couple years about picking up a hull from you, it is finally a reality.

wish i had the time / resources to swap out different parts and try different things. i'm loving this setup and will definitely keep me happy for awhile.

the only changes i am going to make pretty quick is glass in a tray for the battery in one of the rear corners, get the waterbox rigged up, and do something about the gas tank mounts.

I JUST WANT TO RIDE :headbang:

Top Bottom