Runaway motor (dieseling)

cosander

Dallas/Fort worth
Just had a scare. I'm still a little shaky. I went to start my sj for the first time this year and it took longer than normal to get it running. After I got it running I blipped it and the motor reved high and stayed there. I hit stop and nothing happened. I disconnected the plugs and still reving to the moon. Finally something in the back of my mind told me to hold the throttle wide open. Ski shut off after about 20 seconds. Did I damage the motor? It doesn't feel like it got too hot.

It can be caused just by a lean fuel condition. I have the had the same thing happen to a Sea Doo as it was running out of gas on the trailer.
My SJ has also done it after having the carbs apart. Be ready with the primer next time.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Choking it will kill it too....

Must be an air leak. Make sure all you fuel lines are good and tight.

Check to make sure cyllinder is bolted down tight and check for a loose intake or carbs.

I have the same problem after Winter and after priming it and making sure fuel is coming thru the lines never had a problem after, no air leaks here just lack of fuel, then running lean , then open throttle all the way and dies immediatly...

BombThreat

'Diggity
mine did that b/c of a lean condition. the ski was on a table and the hood was open luckly. I just pulled the flame arresters off and put my hands over the carbs.. killed it instantly.

Top Bottom