Runaway SXR

Pismo JK Freeride on Saturday in the afternoon. Not too many guys still riding that this point. I was pretty bagged myself but drove 3.5 hours each way to ride one day so I was out getting it all in.

I hit a small wave and head backwards shore and see a riderless SXR running at decent speed parallel to the beach. Wasn’t going too fast, but was on a healthy plane. I start to follow it, wondering if I actually want to try and jump on to it and throw my ski away if I catch it….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Tpctanqto

It is hard to make out in the video (full screen is best), but you can see it running with no rider, cruising along. It was definitely catchable at first, not that I (or any of us) had a good plan of what to do if we caught it. Then, it hits a couple waves and TAKES OFF towards the open ocean. This thing was moving FAST at that point, there was no way anyone on a SJ could have caught it. In any event it didn't make it too far because it subbed hard under a wave (the huge splash is easy to make out in the video) and tore the hood off (and into two parts). Brett from Oceanside (btmboards) is the one on the flat deck that grabbed it. I don’t think the hood ever washed up.

Lanyard vs. no lanyard discussion anyone? It apparently was wrapped around the handle pole…

btmboards

Brett
Ya, main thing is just ride the way you are setup. I run no lanyard because there have been a couple occasions in real big surf that fumbling with one would have gotten me killed. I run super low idle so it dies instantly. However a flat water ski like this one I would probably use one. But if you do have one it only works if it's attatched to you and not wrapped around the bars.
It really seems like we were running along side it for a lot longer than that...

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
haah yeah seeing that in person was nuts. On the video it does not look like it was going that fast but man it was moving!!! when it nose dived the hood liner separated from the hood, the hood sank but the liner was recovered..hahah. the guy just laughed, got all the water out of the motor, threw a different hood on it and rode it. The throttle wheel on the carb snapped off and that is what sent the ski sailing down the beach. The owner was trying to back flip it earlier in the day, so the ski had taken a beating before that.

He had a lanyard but he told the kid to just "Keep it on the bars, the ski will shut off" hahaha so much for that!!

Hahaha that's a solid video... Looks like y'all had about as much excitement as I did this weekend. Now that's how you ghost ride a ski! Glad it ended up fairly well for the ski.

Being from the bay area I can appreciate a good ghost ride of the whip, but not ski.

The thing was FLYING after it hit those two small waves. This was a fast ski. At first it was kinda slow, but it got jolted a couple times by those waves and it was at WOT as it headed out to its sub. Had it somehow made it past the surf it would have been in Japan in about 30min.

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
^^ haha heck yeah i was thinking the same thing when i saw it running down the beach either it was going to make it on the beach and sit there at WOT till it over heated or someone shut it off or it was going to head out to sea!! had an awesome weekend riding with you guys though.. Way to go on all those stab's BTW!!

^^ haha heck yeah i was thinking the same thing when i saw it running down the beach either it was going to make it on the beach and sit there at WOT till it over heated or someone shut it off or it was going to head out to sea!! had an awesome weekend riding with you guys though.. Way to go on all those stab's BTW!!

yeah man was an awesome weekend, too bad it only happens once a year.

I've been mr stab ever since I gave myself a concussion on a failed roll attempt riding in the port of oakland (I was wearing a helmet)... I'll work back up to rolls eventually...

SkiDiggity

formerly kawirider142
Looks like a lanyard on that one. Pretty sure that's Troegner's limited too, good thing it didn't stick WOT or it'd be gone!

that's exactly who's it was. this kid was riding it, feel off it and when he came up out of the water the ski had taken off already. It did stick WOT the butterflies on both carbs were stuck wide open but it did not take off till it hit a little wave and started out to sea. a soon as that happened it really started moving until it subbed. Tregner was at his trailer at the time and we just brought him his ski all messed up and all he did was laugh hahaha

I was standing on the shore and saw the hole thing. Great! I ran out and grabbed it from those guys so there skis would not keep getting slammed. It sheared the throttle shaft of at the carb body and the butterflies went wfo with no spring. I was talking to the kid that was on it and he said it broke while he was riding. He hung on for a bit but could not get it to stop so he let go and that was the result.

I helped Jeff pull it out the day before after a failed flip attempt and he was definetly not woried about the ski one bit. I have never seen a ski that had been used as hard as that ski! Definetly got some hard miles on it and definetly not the first or last time it will sink.

TJR

SCREW LUCK
Troegner… Ride hard, Live hard and then shoot for the stars.
59453_512853055392835_1405730052_n.jpg

or not

23867_512853125392828_1146494609_n.jpg

Top Bottom