Surfriding running dual 38s on larger motors?

Scorn800

Ride for life
bk,I can come up with something to use as a coupler for the carbs if I have to,but id rather not fab up something before I know it works as well as the theory. just in case this tool bag scorn is even close to coherent thought.5 min eh?lol Id think there is a much bigger diff,20 min or so

You think you'll gain 20mins more ride time by using 38's instead of 46's. Hahahahahaha Keep dreaming mastertool.

Scorn800

Ride for life
Just so you know, I tested stock truebore Zforce carbs against Novi 48's on a limited sxr. The Novi's were better and the fuel usage was almost the same but what do I know, I like kawasaki's. I hope you enjoy testing your "interweb surf riding" carb theory. For all other readers, don't waste your time.

Boris

The Good Old Days
I bet you can gain a lot of ride time simply by slowing down in that long slow speed zone. Why plow the water and get there 30 seconds faster but low on fuel.
Matching your speed to your buddys will save your more fuel than the proposed carb swap ever could.

Scorn800

Ride for life
I bet you can gain a lot of ride time simply by slowing down in that long slow speed zone. Why plow the water and get there 30 seconds faster but low on fuel.
Matching your speed to your buddys will save your more fuel than the proposed carb swap ever could.

Ding, ding, ding. Thats the correct answer for you to use less fuel
Great post.

ah so you test smaller carbs against 48 novis on your crab,but im the intraweb fool wasting my time,lmao ok.

it makes no diff what speed you wake through,ive checked it a few diff ways,its relevant to time,longer time,more fuel,even if it did you still have the open water ride even at 20 mph or slower,it sucks.

back from the thread twisters,how much ride time were you gettin from the 865 and 38s?

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Here's a general comparison...from our beach.

1-Basically stock 09, 701 SJ with a limited "B" pipe, dual 38mm's.

2- 2, FX-1's, 61X,701,(wet jet intake,single 46mm)with sport port, "FX B" pipes, & 140mm kawi pump mods.

3- FX-1, 827 (865) dual 46's, epic ignition, 144mm mag pump.

4- Square nose SJ, 61X, limited "B" pipe, group k porting, impeller, grate, & bumped compression.

All of the boats have SJ 4.8gal fuel tanks. We all fill up, and go for a ride. The run times are identical, the 61X engines consume more fuel on the average ride (they hit reserve first). Back at the truck, the stock SJ ends up consuming just a few ounces less than the 865. Our rides our limited to fuel, sometimes there is 1/2 gallon or less when we return.

I've never messed with the SBN 38's, they might work out to save a little fuel in the long run.

But a 20min putt... putt.... slow, no wake zone? That's a rhythm breaker for sure.

gordon,if there were more informative posts around here like that,we might all be alot more ahead,thanks bud.Are you all gettin 2 hour ride times outa most those setups,i was gettin that or more outa my last dual 38 setup on a smaller motor.you must really be on to something redrilling those 46s.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Now we can add:

5- FX-900, triple 38mm carbs, B-pipe, 140mm kawi pump 16/21 prop

uses a little bit more than 827, but about same as 61x ;-)

And it sounds wicked too.
gordon,if there were more informative posts around here like that,we might all be alot more ahead,thanks bud.Are you all gettin 2 hour ride times outa most those setups,i was gettin that or more outa my last dual 38 setup on a smaller motor.you must really be on to something redrilling those 46s.

Sorry, not close to a 2hr run time. I'll try to get a real # there, but it's about 70min's.

Scorn800

Ride for life

I can't see any 700cc+ stand up getting a 2 hr run time unless your idling around the whole time. Hell, I don't even think a 550 will last 2hrs.
Running bouys with limted sxr's we are lucky to get 45-50mins. MY surf boat gets about 1hr but not riding as much WOT.
I can't believe you can hold on that long, it must be all typing. Gives you a good work out.

was talkin to jetmanic chris at wavedaze about just that.even riding pretty hard in the ocean thats the ride time i was gettin,huge diff in runnin around flats or bouys anything less than high speed is boring as :):):):),it just isnt that way in the surf even riding at decent speed. If you cant ride 2 hours in the ocean you aint worth the salt your riding in,looking at that post count and content your fingers are prolly more adapt to busting entire civilizations in the drain than riding in the ocean..........
wackit.gif

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
We have a 5 to 6 mile run out to the surf here. Five minutes or so is 5mph the rest you can do what you want. If I run wide open I use about 3/4 a gallon of fuel. If I putt out there barely up on plane-like 1/8th throttle once the ski isn't plowing- I use about a half a gallon, maybe less. If I idle it out there real slow it uses a bit more than the second method.

This is with a 701 .50 over, xscream ported cyl, boyesen reeds w/stuffers, dual 4 hole 44's on R&D manifold. B pipe, ADA Head w/33cc domes. Carbs are jetted with big low speed jets, big needle, and low popoff.

I'm sure there is a sweet spot for fuel mileage on your ski it just depends on throttle position and how the carbs are jetted so you can get away from the throttle position that dumps a ton of fuel.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
61x motors always seem to be out of fuel first on our river rides as well, I think they just hold the throttle pinned all the time lol.

WILKEY

SO FAR CHANGE SUCKS!!!!!!
I can't see any 700cc+ stand up getting a 2 hr run time unless your idling around the whole time. Hell, I don't even think a 550 will last 2hrs.
Running bouys with limted sxr's we are lucky to get 45-50mins. MY surf boat gets about 1hr but not riding as much WOT.
I can't believe you can hold on that long, it must be all typing. Gives you a good work out.

haha an hour wow

Scorn800

Ride for life
haha an hour wow

We ride 3 1hr sessions most days at BL.
This whole thread is just interweb BS. Going down in carb size to reduce perfromance is just dumb but hey let your homeboy waste his time I could careless. I just don't want to see BS spread around. And I doubt you get a full 2hr run time you just don't know how to tell time.

Top Bottom