Blaster Rust on the flywheel

I had to remove the starter on my B1, so I figured I'd pull the flywheel cover off and check the bendix as well. When I pulled off the cover some rusty water came out (about an oz or so). Is the rust on the flywheel in the pics below something I should be concerned about or is this something I can fix with a wire brush and some elbow grease?

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 55
Send it to #zero and get it lightened and it will come back brand new

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

That's an option, but is it necessary? Is this surface rust normal and I can just clean it best I can and be on my way or is this too bad to clean and I should fix or replace?

tshank123

Yo hablo ingles
^^X2. You dont want water on your stator. Just replace the cover gasket and the O-ring on the starter and you'll have everything covered.

^^X2. You dont want water on your stator. Just replace the cover gasket and the O-ring on the starter and you'll have everything covered.

Yeah thanks I know no water is supposed to be in there. She fired right up and seems to run OK prior to me taking it apart. A new gasket and some sealer are ready for the reassembly. The question is am I good to simply wire brush off the rust or should I replace the flywheel?

tshank123

Yo hablo ingles
As long as its just surface rust, its probably fine just to brush it off and roll with it. You should probably spray some WD-40 in your bendix before you put it back together. Its fine now, but after a while it will start sticking.

I really would not worry about the surface rust, but spray some wd40 on the bendix, and grease up the bushings before you put it back together.

Last edited:
Im gonna pull it off this weekend and clean it inside and out. I'm going to also clean up the bendix or replace it if there's any sticking. The motor is out and I'm replacing the starter anyway. I'd rather go through the effort now, then have to mess with it later.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom