salt water plus bolts dont mix!

k a old jetski, 1988, and a lil bit of salt water, plus me trying to unbolt a bolt thats never been unbolted..equal broken in half, half way stuck in the hole...guy at work recommended soaking it in pb blaster and try to grip it with vice grips...another guy recommended drilling a hole through the stainless steel bolt and extracting it..theres about a 1/4 inch sticking out of each bolt that broke off...the count is 4. any tips from you guys who have experienced this ********y situation?

Take it to a welding shop and get them to weld a nut to the broken bolt. They will then take a air wrench and it will come out. The heat and a good air wrench will take it out.

JetPilot

'07 SJ xXx
Take it to a welding shop and get them to weld a nut to the broken bolt. They will then take a air wrench and it will come out. The heat and a good air wrench will take it out.

if you go this route rememer that the splash of the weld will definately do some harm to the hull, wires and hoses. before they go to welding on it make sure some leather or a few layers of cotton are covering up anything and everything you dont want to have to replace.

Good idea though... probably will work

cycojon

addicted to my superjet
if all else fails and you have exhausted every other option you need to remove the part with the broken bolt and find a Machine Shop with an EDM machine and they can EDM the broken one out for you easily with out messing up the threads.

EDM- electrical discharge machine

good luck

waterbox23

josh
Go to home depot or lows. There is a drill bit specially made for you situation. You drill it in about a 1/4 of an inch and simply drill it out. That would work if you have enough room to get a drill to it.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The fluted type extractors are the best type to use because they will not expand the bolt while turning and their special design ensures a positive grip when driven into the drill hole.

They also come with the drill bits and centering fixtures so the hole gets drilled in the right spot.

AP-9447.jpg

Y

yamaslut

x2

butti

lone wolf
The fluted type extractors are the best type to use because they will not expand the bolt while turning and their special design ensures a positive grip when driven into the drill hole.

They also come with the drill bits and centering fixtures so the hole gets drilled in the right spot.

AP-9447.jpg

these dont work very well on stainless hardware

dbrutherford

Parts Whore
It has been my experience that if the bolt broke off because of corrosion then it is not going to come out with an easy out.

You need to soak it in PB Blaster and try heat. You will need to turn it so weling on a nut is the best bet.

I hate breaking off easy outs in the bolt/hole you drilled because they are harder than the bolt itself. If that happens you better hope someone local has the EDM. I have never seen one in person but I hear they work nice.

So heat and welding. Post a pic and let us know how it turns out.

DBR

butti

lone wolf
Stainless bolts are easier to drill out then carbon steel, which makes this type of extractor perfect for the job.

i think you have that statement bas akwards:boggled:also break an extraction tool off in there and your fuct:banghead:

Top Bottom