Super Jet Sank my ski...

So a few of us went out to lake Wylie in sc to ride for a few hours when a little bit of excitement ensued. While attempting a backflip I landed a bit sideways and my brap strap snapped allowing the hood to fall off. The ski sank within seconds. Luckily the foam in the tray area did its job and the ski just turned into a giant bobber as seen in the picture. We towed it back to shore and got to work. After letting it sit upside down for about ten minutes, turning it over without the plugs, and replacing the gas it fired right up. Luckily I was able to ride for about 30 minutes before it was too dark to see. Now I just need to cut up some straps and replace my good straps. Either way I figured some of you would enjoy the picture and story.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350348874.587670.jpg

Im glad you refoamed it Chad as it saved the ski for sure. Things were definitely a panic there for a moment. Somewhat of a surreal moment. It went down so quick, I was yelling for a rope and bear hugging the ski hoping I could hold it up if it kept going.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Another reason not to defoam your ski. Glad to hear a good ending!

What reason is that? Not having foam doesn't automatically mean the ski will sink. If the foamless compartments are even halfway decently sealed, the ski will float.

Good to hear it didn't sink to the bottom. It looks like your hood floats?

Not necessarily... When it's upside down the air intakes are at least the highest point on the hood. Luckily it landed just like its seen floating in the picture. Once it's allowed to take on water it'll sink itself... I guess you could say that everything went the best way it could have gone and before I went home I was able to ride around for a while with a hood held on by a bungee cord.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
What reason is that? Not having foam doesn't automatically mean the ski will sink. If the foamless compartments are even halfway decently sealed, the ski will float.

Except, most superjets are waterlogged and cracked somewhere. I don't see a downside to polystyrene. If my foam in my ski ever gets wet though, going with pingpong balls for sure.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Those cracks are miniscule and would be lucky to let in any appreciable amount of water over hours. Point is, if it sinks, you would have to have a catastrophic breach in the rear compartments to have it sink altogether.

Edit: I wouldn't do it on a ski I built myself. I put polystyrene in my SJ (I think I was one of the first guys to do so). But it never had much water coming out of the drain plugs.
My SF had three air compartments, no foam. It came close to sinking a couple times and floated better than any other ski I ever had.
No foam doesn't equal instant sinker.

Last edited:

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
So a few of us went out to lake Wylie in sc to ride for a few hours when a little bit of excitement ensued. While attempting a backflip I landed a bit sideways and my brap strap snapped allowing the hood to fall off. The ski sank within seconds. Luckily the foam in the tray area did its job and the ski just turned into a giant bobber as seen in the picture. We towed it back to shore and got to work. After letting it sit upside down for about ten minutes, turning it over without the plugs, and replacing the gas it fired right up. Luckily I was able to ride for about 30 minutes before it was too dark to see. Now I just need to cut up some straps and replace my good straps. Either way I figured some of you would enjoy the picture and story.View attachment 199019

A brother that ski's.

Legit

Top Bottom