Seadoo XP vs GSX

Not standup related, but hoping some people here have ridden both and can point me in the right direction. For sitdown skis, I currently have a x4 97 spx 787, and B1. The B1 is great for smaller lakes and when Lake Michigan isn’t too rough - when it’s wavy out there it’s almost impossible to get back on. I also want to do some longer trips down rivers, loan a stable ski out to friends, and be able to ride 2-up on rare occasions. I’ll just say it, one or two of my friends is fat and tends to fall off my XP when boarding and going too slow.

So I’ve decided to keep everything I have, but add another sit down to the fleet. I’m having trouble deciding between another X4 787, or try out a GSX with the same engine. It’s the same length, only about 4 or 5 inches wider. From what I’ve read, they can comfortably hold two adults or one fatty. Do they corner nearly as well as an x4? I’ve read they were the common choice for endurance races back when they were new. I’d be looking at 96-97 gsx, or possibly older xp, I wouldn’t mind the 720cc or even 657x, since I won’t be riding it much.

Thanks in advance

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
The XP is also going to be hard to reboard in rough water , you are correct the GSX series is a bigger ski , much easier to reboard in rough water , it still handles quite well it is slightly slower unless you go with the GSX 951 then it's a beast.

The GSX series uses a lot of the same parts as the GTX-GTI series hulls, gas tanks and steering are the same for sure, there is also a GSI , it's a GSX with a 720 engine or if you want to go a bit bigger than that the RX series of skis which used 951 engines is defiantly worth a look as well .

I just so happen to have a titled gp760 on the East side of lk mich on a trailer that I bought to part out. But it’s so clean I kept it whole hoping to restore it. I haven’t done it, and my interest is fading. PM if interested.

Thanks Steve, sent a PM.

I heard about the gsx coming with a 951, which I’m sure is a blast. There’s one for sale near me, but the guy is asking too much. There are a few engines they put in the GSX, but I was researching last night and will avoid the RFI and DI skis for reliability reasons.

WFO Speedracer

Actually the RFI is one of the most reliable skis out there, very few issues other than voltage regulators .

Myself

manic mechanic
I just sold a SUPER NICE '98 GSX with a 951 and only 78 hours for $2500 on a trailer. I have it's twin here with around 130 hours and a few aftermarket goodies. It will start and run but has flywheel/bendix issue with nasty metal on metal noises. 1k.........you know anybody coming to Northern Arkansas?

I just sold a SUPER NICE '98 GSX with a 951 and only 78 hours for $2500 on a trailer. I have it's twin here with around 130 hours and a few aftermarket goodies. It will start and run but has flywheel/bendix issue with nasty metal on metal noises. 1k.........you know anybody coming to Northern Arkansas?
Assuming you’re in the furthest northeast point of Arkansas, it’s still a 9 hour drive for me. If you’d meet halfway, I might be interested. If you are as well, could you please pm some pics?

Myself

manic mechanic
Sorry, I don't have the want, to drive anywhere. I have a brother that lives in St. louis though. Maybe I could get it there for you.

WFO Speedracer

A GS would be a good option , in that ski it should do about 50 mph , there are GS's and GSI's the GS is the better choice because it uses a common MPEM - electrical module , same one used in the GTI's and 97 and up GTS's , the GSI module on the other hand is basically one off and if it goes out good luck on that one.

You can't even find an online parts fiche on a GSI.

I had a GP760, I think it was a 96...I believe it was the first year for them. While I liked it a lot I didn't like the droning of the engine. If I recall correctly, I had to back off the throttle a touch just to change the droning to a different tone. Either that or constantly making slight throttle changes to keep the tone changing. The other part I didn't like was the porposing issue. I couldn't get it to stop hopping unless I backed off the throttle to about 2/3. I think in 98 they corrected that though. It was definitely a stable ski which I really appreciated and that proven engine is hard to pass up. I have been considering buying another runabout ski as all my standup buddies are fading away. It's going to be just me again in the near future unless I pickup a WaveRunner again so I'm interested in what other recommendations you get here. I think I would really consider a WaveBlaster 2 if I happened across one in great shape with a good price. I have heard that they're terrible on fuel though due to the hull design. They're apparently very stable and really stay planted well but that's why they're so horrid on fuel from what I've been told and read.

Swordfish

foolin around
Site Supporter
I agree with Pro-pulsion. The GP760 loves to bounce. I don't remember what year my friend's is but with the trim set neutral it can definitely ride pretty flat. Fun ski and really stable; turns pretty decently with the rear sponsons adjusted down. Pretty quick too. Some of them came with an exhaust outlet with baffles that helps with noise. A buddy of mine took his off and it barks pretty loud.

Anybody here have input on the ride and fuel consumption of a 951 xp compared to an x4? Been looking into those also, but they’re heavier and heard they’re pretty bad on fuel.

WFO Speedracer

Anybody here have input on the ride and fuel consumption of a 951 xp compared to an x4? Been looking into those also, but they’re heavier and heard they’re pretty bad on fuel.
I've often read that if it's a 951 d.i., avoid it. I guess there has been a lot of problems with the direct injection? I don't recall much more than that about them.
I don't worry about fuel consumption, I put gas in and I ride when it needs more gas I do it again.

The 98 and up XP's are all 951 powered , not the easiest ski to board in deep water but the handling is off the chart , the biggest issue with DI skis is when they do screw no one will work on them, I am the only one around here that will touch a DI and I won't guarantee I can fix it but so far I have fixed every one I have worked on.

Myself

manic mechanic
Actually the Di is a very reliable setup. Every one of them I've had in for repairs was neglected with NEVER any maintenance. Slightly plugged fuel filters that NEVER get changed is the most common killer of those. The Di machine WILL NOT tolerate crap gas or poor maintenance. As WFO said, good luck finding anybody to work on one. I also am very well versed on those and probably the only one in a 150 mile radius that will touch it. Much better on fuel than a carbed model. The carbed 951 and a Kawi 1100 or Yamaha 1200 are on par in the fuel useage category.

WFO Speedracer

Actually the Di is a very reliable setup. Every one of them I've had in for repairs was neglected with NEVER any maintenance. Slightly plugged fuel filters that NEVER get changed is the most common killer of those. The Di machine WILL NOT tolerate crap gas or poor maintenance. As WFO said, good luck finding anybody to work on one. I also am very well versed on those and probably the only one in a 150 mile radius that will touch it. Much better on fuel than a carbed model. The carbed 951 and a Kawi 1100 or Yamaha 1200 are on par in the fuel useage category.
Yep those fuel filters are all supposed to be replaced at regular intervals but they get replaced when the ski stops running , also most people don't realize that the pressure regulator on top of the fuel pickup assy is also a filter , that never gets replaced because most people don't know it is a filter , then when it breaks they blame it on the machine , of course.

I am picking up an RFI Monday that isn't running , I will replace the fuel pump, filters and the regulator and I will am willing to bet that fixes his issues.

Top Bottom