Set up wake questions/variations

I can vary wake size and shape no problem.....it's being able to smoothly get into the trough I struggle with.....

The "u" is a waste for me.
don't focus on a perfect pyramid wake the wake does not have to be perfect just go out and throw off every wake you set up!
i used to get stuck on making the perfect wake. the fact is, the more you try off any wake big or not the better you will be. the down side is you may get a few more bruises but who cares LIVE FAST DIE YOUNG or DRIVE FAST AND TAKE CHANCES whatever.
this will teach you more than you could hope to learn on here.
don't get me wrong this place is great wealth of knowledge but there comes a time when you need to stop reading and get bruised up!
i spent all last year practicing i had a bruise for about a month from my hip to to my knee from just flopping on my side. I spent a year learning how not to roll so i could spend this year fine tunning my technique.
there are alot of things to learn in order to roll, dont get stuck on making the perfect set up wake.

make sure your not plowing in to the wake head on, hit the wake at an angle.

Last edited:

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
#1-I can roll fine off boat waves or in the surf. It's flats that's getting me. I learned from pancaker and bogart......just can't put it all together on flats.
#2-I'm not as young as most of you so I prefer more research/info than bruises. I'm all for trying stuff, but just watched my riding buddy dislocate his shoulder last weekend by doing something wrong on a roll. He's out till September. Gotta work up to it.
#3-I am not commiting b/c I feel very awkward in the setup and it's screwing with my head. When I feel "smoother" ill throw some. I've landed hundreds on the side and on my head so fear isn't an issue. I just know I'm not hitting it right and am asking to get jacked up.

You are correct though, you just gotta do it at some point. I just gott feel like it's not suicide to do so lol!

Phil...setup wakes have always seemed like a pita to me also,they never even felt close to big enough to make tricks fun or makable. How much has the extra hp helped you out in that respect?

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
Dude,
the new ski is sick! I can launch a solid 4 feet plus (at the low point of the ski-the rear) out of the water. Everyday the motor seems to come around with tuning.....

This setup is like nothing I've ever owned, and seems to have more than enuff power for my needs. The ski itself launches better too. I don't know if that's ski or just the 50+ lbs I saved, but it's very noticeable!

I just need to learn to ride. I threw one off a boat wake last week that was sick high (8-10) feet.....so it's all on me now, and learning this new setup.

if you don't want to get bruised up get a couch:pokey:JK
the water is well water.......strap on a helmet and take some ibuprofen.

i used to race motocross and that my friend is freakn dangerous. in fact
i sold all my dangerous toys and focused on my passion, jet ski's!
and i have not looked back hell i haven't been to urgent care for over a year because of it:fingersx:
you wont get hurt i promise:fingersx:

In all seriousness,
if your uncomfortable with your setup wake try every way you know of to make/hit the wake
thats how i found out how to get a consistent wake. well that and i was lucky enough to get some advise from someone that know what they are talking about.
i used to do my setup wake by turning to the left and rolling away from the wave
(to the right/clockwise) which is back asswards.I should have been making the setup wake by turning right and rolling over the wave. after i changed that it was not long before i was ridding them out.
after watching this link i would have to say there is no right or wrong way its all trial and error if what your doing does not feel right try another method.
http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/78288-Stoke-engine-Barrel-Roll-!!!!!!!
BTW, I'm really surprised someone that is more qualified to give advise has not stepped up with some.
but thats my .02 take it or leave it:shrug:

sounds like its pretty sick if your getting that kinda height of wakes.what in the tune made the biggest diff from what you were dealing with before? looking forward to trying it out

That's not his barrel roll, he was screwing around while the chopper was filming. Mike, you need to get a good vid of him doing it and put it up. We don't have a vid cam, but if you do, ya'll go out and shoot some footage. He can do a clean roll, I've seen it many times.

Not bad, but I have seen you do better ones. Looks like some nice smooth water yesterday!!
Good job on the vid Mike !!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
don't focus on a perfect pyramid wake the wake does not have to be perfect just go out and throw off every wake you set up!
i used to get stuck on making the perfect wake. the fact is, the more you try off any wake big or not the better you will be. the down side is you may get a few more bruises but who cares LIVE FAST DIE YOUNG or DRIVE FAST AND TAKE CHANCES whatever.
this will teach you more than you could hope to learn on here.
don't get me wrong this place is great wealth of knowledge but there comes a time when you need to stop reading and get bruised up!
i spent all last year practicing i had a bruise for about a month from my hip to to my knee from just flopping on my side. I spent a year learning how not to roll so i could spend this year fine tunning my technique.
there are alot of things to learn in order to roll, dont get stuck on making the perfect set up wake.

make sure your not plowing in to the wake head on, hit the wake at an angle.

in 06 I finally figured out how to roll. Flat water and off waves (Surf and boats). And I kept bruises on my back thigh. 2007 rolls around and no bruises. It is just a transition of learning.

Top Bottom