Setting msd static with timing light

Hey guys I have a single channel msd total loss setup on my dasa 1200 and the led doesn't work so I'm trying to check my static timing with a timing light off the front cyl, but I'm getting inconclusive results. I have the dip switches set to max timing, and the pick up plate pretty far advanced and the light is only showing 20 degrees at around 2500rpm. I'm aiming the 30 static timing, any help or insight would be appreciated

Attachments

• 0630151723.jpg
    0630151723.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 57

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I don't think you set static with a timing light, just hook a battery up to the system and see where the plug fires as you rotate the engine by hand (in the normal running direction, of course).

Yeah that makes sense and is a great idea to setup with a broken led, I did the initial setup by checking the resistance of the pickup with an ohm meter to see when it triggers as the magnet passes over but I wasn't 100% sold on the ohm reading I was getting so I wanted to double check. In theory, the timing light should match the static timing set on the bench though right? Has anybody confirmed timing with a light before?

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Yeah that makes sense and is a great idea to setup with a broken led, I did the initial setup by checking the resistance of the pickup with an ohm meter to see when it triggers as the magnet passes over but I wasn't 100% sold on the ohm reading I was getting so I wanted to double check. In theory, the timing light should match the static timing set on the bench though right? Has anybody confirmed timing with a light before?
That is assuming there is nothing programmed into the system to retard/advance on startup or at RPMs at or below idle.

Right, that's kinda what I'm thinking....Any changes I made didn't really seem to have much effect on the results I was getting with the light, it seemed the lower the rpm the less the timming would read on the light, but below 2000 rpm the light would get a little erratic

I just installed TL.... I set static to 32 and have max timing selected.... I verified my timing with a light before the start retard rpm point and confirmed 32.

So you'd do the same right ??

Your timing your reading at the flywheel with the light, before your start retartd timing rpm is reached is your static timing ?????

Correct, my retard start point is 5k, I'm checking with the light and the engine running at 2500 rpm and getting a reading of about 20 degrees.....do you have a dual channel total loss?

I ended up doing it with the plugs out like performance 1 said and I double checked with a timing light.....turns out, I'm pretty sure I have a Seadoo pickup plate which had the pickup located farther retared than a yamaha plate which is why I was getting a funky reading

Mine is doing the same thing showing way retarded timing with the plate all the way advanced. How did you keep the bendix in with the motor running and still able to see the flywheel?

Top Bottom