setup bilge for freestyle

Waternut

Customizing addict
I only have one 800gph attwood pump with no siphon and it works great. I leave it running 100% of the time I'm on the water. With the hood off, it sounds loud as crap! Put the hood on and you can barely hear it though. It doesn't sit there and make the "choo choo" sound like every other pump I've heard either when the water level is low. It either pumps the water out and keeps quiet or it won't pump anything out because there's nothing left.

When I was in walmart the other day, I saw a 1200 gph pump that was roughly the same size as the 800. If this one ever burns up, I may consider it.

Lucas

Surf Junkie
I used 5200 On both of mine and they have not come loose at all, even with surf riding, I would not T the lines for the pumps, run 2 seperate lines.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
Just wondering if people usually glue the bilge pumps straight to the hull, or do you glue or glass down some wood etc and screw them in? thoughts?? Jay

I glued mine right to the bottom of the hull.
Havent had an issue at all.

Also running two on one switch and havent ever had any burn out.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I also used 5200 on my ski's to mount the pump to the hull. They've held up great but I was wrenching in the area one day and accidentally slammed into it knocking the one off my superjet.

ger87410

How did I get here?
can you buy twin alloy bilge pump brackets, or will i need to make one? J

another question, when running twin bilges with separate switch can you T piece the outlet?? or will the water flow back into the hull if you only have one switch on?

U don't want to T it because of the amount of water coming out. Using a T and a pipe not the size of a firehose will restrict the amount of water you can pump. And your most likely looking at the water from 1 pump backflowing to the other when both aren't running without 1-way valves.

K.I.S.S.

Does anyone know the maximum capacity their ski has for running bilge pumps?

It seems that an 800SXR charges at between 18 Amps to 28 Amps. From what i can see, a 1100Gph Rule bilge sucks between 3.3A-5A. Therefore worst case scenario you could run 3 of those pumps (at 5A) with a ski charging at 18A leaving 3A to charge the battery. Is that a logical suggestion?

Waternut

Customizing addict

It seems that an 800SXR charges at between 18 Amps to 28 Amps. From what i can see, a 1100Gph Rule bilge sucks between 3.3A-5A. Therefore worst case scenario you could run 3 of those pumps (at 5A) with a ski charging at 18A leaving 3A to charge the battery. Is that a logical suggestion?

What you're saying makes sense in a way. However, if you're in need of 3 - 1100 gph pumps, you've got MUCH MUCH more serious problems than battery charging.

heres a bracket i fabricated for a friend who runs 2 x bilge pumps in a superjet

Attachments

• 20090903_211842_PICT0005_Medium.jpg
    20090903_211842_PICT0005_Medium.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0233.jpg
    DSCF0233.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 37
Electrical load capacity

What you're saying makes sense in a way. However, if you're in need of 3 - 1100 gph pumps, you've got MUCH MUCH more serious problems than battery charging.

Thanks for that helpful information Waternut.

What I'm trying to find out is what the maximum draw by electrical accessories (ie bilge pumps) a ski can handle. The 3x 1100Gph is just an example.

Also, what reasoning is there for selecting 2x 500Gph rather than 2x 800Gph's or 2x1100Gph's (or 3!)? More is better? Why not get the water out faster if the electrical load is insignificant? I could drive a hybrid Toyota with a max speed of 100km/hr but i prefer a 200km/hr V8 if i could afford both&the running costs of both were insignificant.

Does 18-20Amps charge current sound realistic? Does 3.3-5Amps draw for an 1100Gph or 1.9-2.5Amps draw sound correct for a 500Gph?

Why have others chosen to run 360's or 500's as opposed to larger capacity, considering many setups can allow a hull to take on water at times?

Any constructive comments would be much appreciated!

Waternut

Customizing addict
Some choose 2 500gph pumps because they bought one and added another later. Others want one in the front and one in the back. Some people grab pumps that are readily available. I have a single 800gph pump and it's pretty big and it throws water out 4-5 feet. The 1100gph pumps are even bigger and those require a much larger hose and bilge outlet. Might not be able to get an 1100 pump under the midshaft on a SJ or under the driveshaft on a kawi.

I don't remember the amp draw on the pumps specifically but I believe my attwood 800 is around 3 amps but that's a guess. Just remember that the stator is primarily there to provide a spark and NOT to recharge the battery. Plus every time you crank the engine, you are using far more juice than a multitude of bilge pumps. An older stator will return less amperage than a new one, a poorly connected pump will draw more amperage than a properly connected one, and an old starter will use a lot more than a clean new one.

I run a total loss ignition and I run my 800gph pump the whole time I'm riding. I get at least 2 tanks before having to recharge the battery.

Top Bottom