shimming engine and pump. How important is it?

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
its important.

put the engine mount bolts in loosely, leave the rubber donut out.

use a straight edge around the couplers, and make them line up.
I use a razer blade from a scraper and a flashlight to see in there.

it only takes a few minutes after youve done it once.

im sure there are better instructions posted here if you search for them.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
If you want your midshaft bearings and short shaft and pump shaft to last, you'll align them.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Short Shaft Approx $150.00
Drive Shaft Approx $ 200.00

A properly aligned motor? Costless

If you do not have your motor aligned with your driveline then that is what it is going to cost you (give or take depending if you find used or new).

I would highly recommend you align your pump w/ the inter shaft assy removed. Just put the two front pump bolts in and then shim accordingly to get the shaft in the very center of the hole. There may be a better way, but this has worked well for me. Test the fit by sliding the inter shaft assy on to the bulkhead and see if there is any binding when the holes line up.

fyi - the two front pump bolts never get shims, only the rear pump bolts do.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
o

I would highly recommend you align your pump w/ the inter shaft assy removed. Just put the two front pump bolts in and then shim accordingly to get the shaft in the very center of the hole. There may be a better way, but this has worked well for me. Test the fit by sliding the inter shaft assy on to the bulkhead and see if there is any binding when the holes line up.

This is a good test.

Mark44

crammit442

makin' legs

Ditto!

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
i just had to replace my drive shaft and short shaft b/c of improper alignment. ended up costing me over $200 to replace both. Luckily I found an excellent condition drive shaft and whole midshaft assembly.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Short Shaft Approx $150.00
Drive Shaft Approx $ 200.00

A properly aligned motor? Costless

If you do not have your motor aligned with your driveline then that is what it is going to cost you (give or take depending if you find used or new).

i just had to replace my drive shaft and short shaft b/c of improper alignment. ended up costing me over $200 to replace both. Luckily I found an excellent condition drive shaft and whole midshaft assembly.

I rest my case!!!!!!!!!!!

Lanier 05 Stripped driveline 30 minutes into the first ride on friday. Installed used pump and used midshaft assembly. rode the rest of the season

Week before Lanier 06 Decided to rebuild old midshaft assembly with new short shaft. The week after lanier it stripped out again. Went to Myrtle beach with it just like it was, Paul and Pete worked all morning replacing my drive shaft and installing my old midshaft assembly that I kept for back up. He found that my motor was way out of alignment, this was before I knew about aligning without the dampner in the couplers. I was always just working the side to side alignment, I was about 1/8" low on the motor side. Since then, never had a problem since Paul told me how to properly shim a motor, Midshaft and Pump assembly.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
install pump with 2 front bolts in place, take the midshaft assembly and bolt it up ( snug, not all the way torqued) use a feeler gauge to to measure around the houseing where it meets the bulkhead. if there is more gap at the Top then you need to add shims between the rear pump tabs and the hull. This should get the midshaft housing almost flush with the bulkhead, you may need a small shim on one of the 3 bolts that holds it in place. From there, alight the motor with the midshaft.

install pump with 2 front bolts in place, take the midshaft assembly and bolt it up ( snug, not all the way torqued) use a feeler gauge to to measure around the houseing where it meets the bulkhead. if there is more gap at the Top then you need to add shims between the rear pump tabs and the hull. This should get the midshaft housing almost flush with the bulkhead, you may need a small shim on one of the 3 bolts that holds it in place. From there, alight the motor with the midshaft.

this is a little more confusing than just putting the pump in without the midshaft installed and making sure the shaft is centered in the hole in the hull.

my question is, how important is that pin on the front tab of the pump that goes into the hull? my pin is missing on my rn pump. i noticed that my fx-1 never had one to begin with.

Top Bottom