shipping a ski.

ucsspirit

"I just wanna go fast" RB
I'm going to Daytona this January. I was looking at shipping my ski. With that said I need some ideas on how to build a shipping crate. I was thinking a simple would box would work with some support, and dunnage on the bottom. The material is not a problem as I have all kinda of plywood, 2x4's, and 2x6's. It needs to be somewhat strong, and able to take some abuse. By the way, weight is not a problem, so extra support is possible.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Grab a standard 48' x 48' skid/pallet or 2 if you can. Look for them at warehouses, etc.. Some receivers have no need to keep them, ask someone who is smoking outside if you can have one.

Build your crate with regular wood from there keeping the fork slots on the bottom. Makes its easier for shipper and transport company to move your ski around.

Not sure what Yamiha crates look like... Probabaly the same thing.

Ratchet strap your ski to the skid and frame it in.

Done.

Takeastand SJ

R.I.P. 8/9/2008
I have seen a crate made out of pallet stuff, it arrived in pieces and the guy had to make a crate to ship it back out of scraps. The yamaha ones and thin angled steel. probobally a good idea to take out gas tank and battery, I think thats the law anyway but I know of skis shipped ready to go with a full tank of gas!!

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Even if you're a complete knob, you should still be able to construct a crate out of wood to withstand shipping...

A battery filled should be classified as hazmat. Although when installed in a vehicle its usually okay. Gas is a no no...

ucsspirit

"I just wanna go fast" RB
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to go to the local dealership tomorrow, and see what I can get. If I cant get anything, I'll just build one up as everyone in my family either works or has worked in construction. As for the battery, and the fuel, however you ship them they are classified as haz mat. On the shippers declaration, its classified as an internal combustion engine "drained and purged". With the battery removed and terminals capped (spelling ?). My best friend manages the local terminal for forward air freight, and is helping me out with all the required paperwork.

Takeastand SJ

R.I.P. 8/9/2008
Even if you're a complete knob, you should still be able to construct a crate out of wood to withstand shipping...

A battery filled should be classified as hazmat. Although when installed in a vehicle its usually okay. Gas is a no no...

Agreed, but the guy was French........

It is also the shippers discretion on what they want you to ship. Sending my friends ski from LAX out of the country required the battery, gas tank, and all associated parts to the fuel system (carbs and gas lines) to be removed. Shipping back to the US they (Mearsk) required the engine, gas tank, and battery to be pulled and the engine in a seperate box to be marked hazardous.

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
I scored myself one of the yamaha crates and its badass. It bolts to the bow and stern eye on the ski and is super easy to assemble/dissemble. If you can get your hands on one thats the way to go.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
Agreed, but the guy was French........

It is also the shippers discretion on what they want you to ship. Sending my friends ski from LAX out of the country required the battery, gas tank, and all associated parts to the fuel system (carbs and gas lines) to be removed. Shipping back to the US they (Mearsk) required the engine, gas tank, and battery to be pulled and the engine in a seperate box to be marked hazardous.

French.... HAHA!

I'm a Freight forwarder, and the stipulations you had to go through to ship it out of LAX makes sense. However if going by Ocean container (Maersk) pulling the engine doesn't make sense...
You didn't move this air did you? Sounds fishy...

Either way, you really are at the mercy of customs and carrier/providors (Maersk)'s discretion on how they want to ship something.

If moved on an Ocean container (40'/45') and they had you pull the engine, gastank, battery, etc.. It could have been as simple as putting your ski with some other freight and your engine with another can of freight. Certain classes of freight can only be shipped with similar commodities.

Sounds to me like they did this for cost savings. Both to you and them.

Next time you need to move it let me know. I'll give you the heads up if there is a better way to do it. :wink:

njfl

X-H2
I sent Andy (WAB on here) a hull. Check to see if he has some pictures from when he received it. I recall seeing them. They will show the container I built.

The basic principle is to build a skeleton with 2x3's and then use the plywood as a skin. You will be amazed at the rigidity when you screw on the last end piece.

I used 1/4" luan as the skin, but since yours is a complete boat, it might be better to go with 3/8".

Start with the bottom piece (approx 30" x 96" or so) and mount four long 2x3's onto it. Two on the edges (for ataching the uprights and plywood sides) and tow in the middle to act as bunks.

Then go from there.

Takeastand SJ

R.I.P. 8/9/2008
French.... HAHA!

I'm a Freight forwarder, and the stipulations you had to go through to ship it out of LAX makes sense. However if going by Ocean container (Maersk) pulling the engine doesn't make sense...
You didn't move this air did you? Sounds fishy...

Either way, you really are at the mercy of customs and carrier/providors (Maersk)'s discretion on how they want to ship something.

If moved on an Ocean container (40'/45') and they had you pull the engine, gastank, battery, etc.. It could have been as simple as putting your ski with some other freight and your engine with another can of freight. Certain classes of freight can only be shipped with similar commodities.

Sounds to me like they did this for cost savings. Both to you and them.

Next time you need to move it let me know. I'll give you the heads up if there is a better way to do it. :wink:

Yes it was by air, Bali Government posed the largest problem. I am planning on sending my ski to Portugal in April Mearsk by ship. How long will it take?

goodq

x-h2o browser
ucsspirit said:
I was looking at shipping my ski. With that said I need some ideas on how to build a shipping crate.

How are you going to ship it? Its different if you ship it by air or by ground.

By air as some poeple mentioned this falls under IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations UN 3166. ('Vehicle, Flammable Liquid Powered')

To pack it packing instruction 900 is to be followed. Mainly the gas tank has to be drained as well as all the fuel lines. The battery can be left but disconnected and has to fall under the packing instruction for batteries with compliance with UN (Something I don't remember).
I recommend you leave the battery out.

Finally, air freight with HAZMAT is MUCH easier with crates that open easily or open crates. Rest assure that people will want to see that you followed the packing instruction and did all the necessary steps.

Here is a link that I read a while back that has lots of good info.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/trip-transport/2006-rules-shipping-motorcycles-air-21880

Takeastand SJ said:
I am planning on sending my ski to Portugal in April Mearsk by ship. How long will it take?

The difference in price between air and sea freight is not enough to justify the length of time and the fact that IMHO it is more likely to be lost since its loose cargo. I had stuff "misplaced/lost" when I shipped through sea which made me not want to do that EVER again unless its a full container. It is much easier to "misplace" loose cargo as they call it than messing with a full container. Containers are sealed and you pack it yourself if you want. Loose cargo most of the time would get loaded and unloaded. A container's seal would only be broken in your presence.

With a very rough estimate, the cost to ship a ski from the US to Portugal by sea is around 1100 and by air is 400 more.

Any how however you guys want to ship your stuff you MUST always always always INSURE YOUR STUFF for its FULL value

If the Yami dealer don't have a crate go to your local auto glass shop and see if they have any glass pallets laying around. Windshields for cars come 30 in a crate and they have 3/8 inch cardboard around them so all you would have to do it cut it down so that it is only 26 inches high instead of 50 inches. The windshield for a newer freightliner is 84 inches wide so the pallet should be somewhere near 84 X 30. Just about right.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
The difference in price between air and sea freight is not enough to justify the length of time and the fact that IMHO it is more likely to be lost since its loose cargo. I had stuff "misplaced/lost" when I shipped through sea which made me not want to do that EVER again unless its a full container.

Remember, that when you ship air, you are always billed on a cube basis. You guys in the USA should be used to that as your LTL trucking companies cube as well. Many vendors I deal with in Canada are on a per skid basis of 4x4x4 @ 1800lbs. The larger companies will always cube.

Now a crated SJ will obviously yield a higher rate as the 350lbs total your machine and crate weighs (maybe less?) is based on the cubic dimensions of space it takes up.

Running it @ approximate dimensions of 7' long x 3' high x 3' wide (we'll use these as a rough example) you get 63 cubic feet. You will usually be billed on a 10lbs/cubic ft.

So now your billable weight is 630lbs. I don't have my pricing here now but including documentation, FSC etc.. I can't see it being anything under $2.50/lb.

630lbs x 2.50 = $1575 est.

Transit by air will be 2-3 days regular service, expedite will be more. VIA Ocean expect 8-10 days + handling at destination (could be a while....)

If the Yami dealer don't have a crate go to your local auto glass shop and see if they have any glass pallets laying around. Windshields for cars come 30 in a crate and they have 3/8 inch cardboard around them so all you would have to do it cut it down so that it is only 26 inches high instead of 50 inches. The windshield for a newer freightliner is 84 inches wide so the pallet should be somewhere near 84 X 30. Just about right.

Not to many glass places install windows for frieghtliners I imagine

the last time I checked into it the cost was approx. 300-400 . I was told by one company that shipping a comlete ski,bike ect was more costly then shipping one with a couple parts removed due to the fact that complete cost more to insure,what do you shippers know of this.
Was 400 from Kamloops B.C. to toronto,ON.

Takeastand SJ

R.I.P. 8/9/2008
With a very rough estimate, the cost to ship a ski from the US to Portugal by sea is around 1100 and by air is 400 more.

Any how however you guys want to ship your stuff you MUST always always always INSURE YOUR STUFF for its FULL value

The shipping is saposed to be free by container but we will see. Thanks for the info.

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
the last time I checked into it the cost was approx. 300-400 . I was told by one company that shipping a comlete ski,bike ect was more costly then shipping one with a couple parts removed due to the fact that complete cost more to insure,what do you shippers know of this.
Was 400 from Kamloops B.C. to toronto,ON.

Well the $400 sounds about fine for BC - Toronto. Put it in the width of the truck in it will take up 2.5 - 3.0 linear ft of trailer. Domestic Canada shipping is easy. You don't need any customs paperwork or anything else that slows down and adds cost to the process.

Load it and go.

Taking out a battery, fuel tank, or anything else considered hazardous may be required. But if I were you I'd drain the fuel, disconnect the battery but leave it in, and ship it. Many trucking companies can handle under 1000lbs of hazardous material even if they don't carry a mandatory hazardous certificate and corresponding insurance.

Cross border shipping is where you need to be careful. Customs can do what they want, and you're screwed. And for ever second customs delays your carrier and requires them to make changes, or additional papwerwork, you'l;l eat the bill.

If you leave the battery in the watercraft, you should not have to remove it for any reason and it should not be considered hazardous if moving OTR or IML (truck or train). Ocean and Air may be differnt, I don't know off the hop..

Top Bottom