Super Jet shockingly unstable- HELP!

I come from a background of riding kawis and bought an 09 about a month ago. To the OP whoever told you that the 08+ was a stable ski compared to a 650sx really needs his head examined or more tray time. My 650sx is a tank and its a very lazy, but easy carving hull. My 09 SJ is at least as unstable as my 550, but I love it. It does its little wobble in a straight line and you do need to get used to it. As others have said I think its a combination of lots of the hull mods working together, specifically water hitting the edges of the built in tubbies which aren't always in the water. If you want a go straight line smooth ski, a 96-07 would be a much better choice. But all superjets I've been on exhibit "chine walk", from the hull bottom or tubbies, they all wobble. Ride plate and intake can solve a lot of it.

For me the 08+ hull feels pretty natural after riding kawasaki 750s a lot. I find when I'm going on longer rides I really wear myself out because I'm rarely going straight on the ski, I'm constantly turning and carving. When you are leaning and carving I find this ski is actually quite stable. It might rock a little bit side to side going straight normally, and even more under deceleration, but if you take even a high speed turn leaned over, it will just grip and go. Very smooth even if you're going through chop. This hull is a race hull or at the very least a hull meant for someone who really wants to get something out of the ski. It requires rider involvement more than any ski I've been on, which is is why I spend so much time on mine.

I spent 10 minutes riding a 2014 SJ last year before I decided I wanted one. I am so glad I made the purchase. If you have fun leaning over and carving, but want a more playful ski than a sxr, then this is the ski for you. The lack of stability you'll get used to. I just can't get over how much more advanced it is over all the 750 skis I've been on. I don't feel like the hull is hampering my riding abilities. And again back to the OP, if you're coming from other more stable skis this might require some getting used to, but wow what progress. And if you don't enjoy it there's always plenty of options for swapping down to a 96-07. Those hulls are really much more stable.

One more thing, I'd recommend always riding a ski before you buy one. Everyone's tastes and preferences are different. And also there's plenty of us on here who'd be willing to let you try a certain type of ski.

Last edited:
Mine performs very well in surf. Love it to death. But yea it's not a leisure ski, and that does suck for when I wanna just take it easy.

160eaff7d5ab88c33f7a48ee04b80b52.jpg

243de3f358c82b590122e96f9ffb5122.jpg

Hunter your ski is sick i saw it at Wavedaze. I wanna do up my 2013 now that my edge is done. But i went from a Sn to my 2013 in 13 and it was twitchy at first then i learned on it. I can jump on it anytime now and haul ass it's so good at high speeds, turns, chop, whatever it cuts right through it and it's stock steering and all.

cmlangdale

username ^ stuff I say >
I went from a '93 to a '14 and have nothing but good things to say. I thought the SN handled good 'till I hopped on the '14 and I couldn't believe the difference. I really can't believe how much negativity the 08+ gets around here. I've yet to experience the chine walk after running about 6 tanks through it. Comparing the stability to a 550 and 750 is somewhat comical to me.

Like others said, its different for everyone and more tray time helps a lot.

I would highly recommend not cutting the rear of the bond flange. When you cut the bond flange yes it allows water to pass through, all you are doing is relieving nose pressure. But you are taking away one of the best things about the hull, the drive through chop. By relieving nose pressure it is allowing the front of hull to ride higher so less of the
built in sponson is in contact with the water. The affect some people feel with this hull is simply lift from the sponson not drag from the bond flange. I run mine with more nose pressure than from the factory and i have never felt these described issues. The harder you ride it the more it responds.

Comparing the stability to a 550 and 750 is somewhat comical to me.

Not really sure why it's comical? Roll stability of my 550/750 is about equal to my SJ. Also as an fyi the rear hull widths along the transom are pretty close, I forget the exact measurements. I find the instability an exceedingly good thing. Comparing the stability of a SN to 2008+ would be comical because they are so different. But coming from a SN I can imagine what a revelation the new SJ hull would be.

Similarly a 750 hull with tubbies feels very close as far as carving maneuverability and feel. A 96-07 has higher roll stability but good flat steering and nimbleness. By comparison the 750 skis have a similar nimbleness as far as the roll instability of the 2008+, and the built in tubbies give that hull much more pop up out of hard carves, something which my 2009 is really better than stock 750 hull skis at.

I will say that my 2009 does not porpoise at all, something its phenomenally better than the 750s at. So there is an improvement in stability in that regard over the kawis.

Its pretty easy to tell all this riding these various skis back to back.

cmlangdale

username ^ stuff I say >
I guess it was just my personal opinion after riding a friends 750, another friends 550 and then riding my 14 SJ. I'd like to think a lot of it is in a persons balance. You're right though, the 08+ has little to no porpoise.

Wow just seen this old post I moved from Kawasaki 650 to a 2014 superjet and this I the problems I’ve been having
I even tried my mates 2014 when out and it sooooo much more stable difference with his and mine was he had the worx ride plate and mine was standard I have a R&D scoop grate he has a worx one so I’ve changed my ride plate to the same one but yet to try it yet
Fingers crossed it changes it

Well tried my new worx ride plate at the weekend but still the same still feels slippery underneath
Even my friend had a ride who has the exact ski 2014 and only difference his has no b pipe and the worx ride plate instead of my rd plate which I have noticed to be slightly twisted if that can cause it

one other thing my friend noticed was water cascading up both sides and it looks like the idiot who turfed it has either gone over the back gunwale cover with it and tucked it underneath and is loose and is flapping about a inch or 2 when riding which would cause a problem I guess
Instead of putting it underneath the rear gunwale trim and cutting it neatly
I’m going to check it tonight if ithats what I think he has done

Tonight I checked to see how he had hydro turfed it and all that was just tucked underneath and stuck pretty badly both sides had dropped down when in the water causing the water to cum up the inside of the turf back into tray at the back that’s what we think was casing it anyway

Attachments

• 27DDC212-9A94-4BA9-9A43-C6BEA9601B27.jpeg
    27DDC212-9A94-4BA9-9A43-C6BEA9601B27.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 45
  • 69443675-6304-4368-85F6-8CEBD6DBC151.jpeg
    69443675-6304-4368-85F6-8CEBD6DBC151.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 50
Thanks
The turf isn't your problem, need to practice pre 08 superjet are really hard to ride compared to anything else
but mines 2014 not pre 2008
I know the turf won’t make that much difference and ride plate is good as just fitted new one

it wouldn’t bother me so much I’ve I didn’t know how it could ride but my friends which is the same year is like night and day I feel so much more confident and stable on it we have the same mods apart from mine came with a b pipe and his intake grate is a worx not a RD

The only other issue I have found is the R&D intake grate is straight I only noticed this when I removed it to get it repaired it looked warped see pic
But I was told this would not affect it

Attachments

• D545E24D-27AB-4171-A06A-CED860B05142.jpeg
    D545E24D-27AB-4171-A06A-CED860B05142.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom