Sick of waiting for a turn to ride the standup ready to buy what ski??

Up here in MT the season is very short. Right now with the boats we ski and such till the wind comes up and then everyone heads off on the standups as we get some good waves with 60-70mpg gust at times.

Anyways I have rode them a few times and have a blast on them but have only rode superjets.

After learning a bit more allot of people also ride the whitewater rapids in the rivers as well.

So what is a good ski for someone that rides mostly lakes and just wants to play around carve and have a good time??

I love Polaris so what are your thoughts pros and cons also what years and models should I stay away from

Polaris
Kawi
SJ

Thanks

Not sure on the Polaris, but I can tell you now there are a TON of SJ advocates on this site, and I'm one of them! Get yourself a SJ, either the older square nose, or a new roundy and don't look back!

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
Polaris makes the octane. its a very nice ski with a lot of the mods you would want on a superjet done already from the factory. Although they are quite hard to find and expensive if you do.

for a first ski i would get an older style SN superjet. you can find one for cheap and put some money into the motor as you get to be a more competant rider. the good thing about going this route is that a LOT of people end up on RN superjets as their ski of choice and when you finally decide you want to go that way you can just buy a hull and slap the motor you've been working/riding the whole time into it. no having to start over in the power department by selling your old build to buy a new one :)

just my opinion

Thanks guys so do you think the Yamaha is harder to ride than the Kawi??

Also what is the differences and year break on the SJ pros and cons were they made there changes.

Do the Kawi's break down more often have problems were the SJ's are more solid??

Sorry for all the questions

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
harder to ride? yes id say the SJ's are harder to ride than the newest kawi aka the sxr. but not any harder than some of the older kawi hulls. it is also much more rewarding though once you do get riding down. imo its not all about "easiest" so much as getting to the riding style and competance you would like to be at.
the sj's from 90-94 are the square nose style and quite cheap to find.
from 94-07 is the standard round nose body style.
08-present there have been a few changes that make it apparently much more stable and better for racing but not quite as cut out for freestyle/freeride. or at least thats the general consensus.
as far as breaking down it really depends on the level of the build and making sure everything is in good condition, torqued, and sealed properly. they can both be fairly reliable. you will hear people bicker back and forth on this regard...its the same as anywhere you have the yama guys swearing their stuff is better and the kawi guys doing the same. that being said im a yama guy and i think its better in just about every conceivable way :)
dont apologize for asking questions, thats what its all about. we all start somewhere.
hope this helps at least a little.

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
harder to ride? yes id say the SJ's are harder to ride than the newest kawi aka the sxr. but not any harder than some of the older kawi hulls. it is also much more rewarding though once you do get riding down. imo its not all about "easiest" so much as getting to the riding style and competance you would like to be at.
the sj's from 90-94 are the square nose style and quite cheap to find.
from 94-07 is the standard round nose body style.
08-present there have been a few changes that make it apparently much more stable and better for racing but not quite as cut out for freestyle/freeride. or at least that's the general consensus.
as far as breaking down it really depends on the level of the build and making sure everything is in good condition, torqued, and sealed properly. they can both be fairly reliable. you will hear people bicker back and forth on this regard...its the same as anywhere you have the yamaha guys swearing their stuff is better and the kawi guys doing the same. that being said I'm a yamaha guy and i think its better in just about every conceivable way :)
don't apologize for asking questions, that's what its all about. we all start somewhere.
hope this helps at least a little.

The Polaris Octane is not being made any longer, so that's going against it for sure and the parts will and are very pricey...Stick with a super jet...
Correction for the above quote: Square nose made from '90-95 with the '94 & '95 having the 61X-701cc, early models were 6M6-650cc.
The Round nose hull came out in '96 with the new 701cc w/ 62T cases and dual carbs up until '07, then a new hull came out for '08 & '09, same engine package.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
The SX-R is the most fun ski out of the box. Lots of carving, lots of speed. The superjets are very light, loads of fun, and tragically underpowered - but once you dump in another three grand or so, it will be an enjoyable ride.

You're good either way.

SkiNaked

Stand up or Shut up!
The SX-R is the most fun ski out of the box. Lots of carving, lots of speed. The superjets are very light, loads of fun, and tragically underpowered - but once you dump in another three grand or so, it will be an enjoyable ride.

You're good either way.

Not sure it takes three grand to make it fun. Probably an extra 1-2. But that will make it 10x more fun then a stock SXR. I have 4 superjets and an SXR with a FP wetpipe. I had to give the SXR to the wife! The SXR is a TON of fun.. well it feels like a ton in the water anyways.

nokfir

You're good either way.

3g's???? u serious? dont listen to that, they are fun out of the box and perfectly fine as far as power goes when considering a stock ski compared to any other model (besides sxr) im hacing a blast on my sj with only handling mods so far.. he said the same thing b4 i bought my superjet. this guy is very negative, or just hates sj's

Last edited:
Top Bottom