side rear mounted exhaust?

Waternut

Customizing addict
Anyone have an opinion on running a side exhaust that exits near the rear but not directly out the back? Looking at running dual scuppers and I will have enough room for all the tubes but I don't think I'll have enough room to run both a scupper and an exhaust flange on the back.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
On any kind of slide to the left it will suck exhaust into the pump because it rolls under the edge of the hull. I need to move it back further and up closer to the bondline.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
I "tried" running a side exhaust.... just ahead of the bulkhead, below the bond line. Here's the good.

1- It looks cool

Here's the bad.

1- Black goo, unburned oil covers the side (messy).

2- It's LOUDER!............WHAT DID YOU SAY?

3- The motor didn't like to run when the exhaust hole got covered (surges)
with water, and affected the mixture = more black spewmen on the side.

Bottom line, I re-installed the rear exhaust (full circle engineering) and it runs better.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Do front only exhausts have the same problems? I know they are louder and will be messy, but how about affecting the pump and such?

Do front only exhausts have the same problems? I know they are louder and will be messy, but how about affecting the pump and such?

I never had a problem with my old 550 in the stock setup. The only complaint I had was the noise because it's always above the waterline. A lot of people don't like the exhaust blowing back your the face, but it never really bothered me all that much. Nothing like the taste of burnt Amsoil... haha.

Not once can I ever remember having the exhaust be sucked into the pump, likely because it's above the waterline 99% of time.

I think if I were to ever try this, I'd try a setup like SuperJETT said and have it really close to the rear of the ski

Last edited:

tbaer

USMC
i have dual rear side exhaust on my ski. i haven't gotten to ride it yet, but the guy i bought it from said it it didn't effect anything. x metal made the whole system for him. it has a piece of metal welded on the front side of the exit to deflect the water from goin into the exit hole

Attachments

• new hull 008.jpg
    new hull 008.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 102
  • new hull 009.jpg
    new hull 009.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 54
  • new hull 007.jpg
    new hull 007.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 53
i have dual rear side exhaust on my ski. i haven't gotten to ride it yet, but the guy i bought it from said it it didn't effect anything. x metal made the whole system for him. it has a piece of metal welded on the front side of the exit to deflect the water from goin into the exit hole

that setup will probably work fine because when you carve there will always be one outlet that isn't blocked by rushing water

DR3

Xscream Braaaap
i had one this way about mid-way on the right side and it had horrible cavitation when side mounting, turning right, and i swear sometimes when i was going slow it threw me off balance to one side here and there ... i got rid of it shortly.. i just could handle the cavitation, it was a huge problem

Waternut

Customizing addict
Hmmm... this is good information. The exit inside the pump area seems like a terrible idea at first. However, if I could get something to mount far enough back and not interfere with the nozzle, it may work really well. It would certainly be a shot in the dark for sure though and require some mocking up before any cutting is done.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Hmmm... this is good information. The exit inside the pump area seems like a terrible idea at first. However, if I could get something to mount far enough back and not interfere with the nozzle, it may work really well. It would certainly be a shot in the dark for sure though and require some mocking up before any cutting is done.

The entire pump area is going to get real messy from 2 stroke GOO. I have a little seapoo xp 580 and it dump's there also not really a big deal until you need to work on the pump, steering, cooling hoses, ect. then it's a real mess.

demolition_x

Not After Fame & Fortune

I ran a front only setup for a while, it worked well. Never had issues with cavitation or anything. I think it had a hard time clearing water out of the box because the water in the box had to get pushed forward out the hose in front of the box all while the ski is moving forward. This was only an issue during slow speeds, didn't happen while i was on the throttle.

Waternut

Customizing addict
The entire pump area is going to get real messy from 2 stroke GOO. I have a little seapoo xp 580 and it dump's there also not really a big deal until you need to work on the pump, steering, cooling hoses, ect. then it's a real mess.

I wouldn't shoot it straight into the pump. The only way I would run it in the pump area is if I could get it far enough back that it wouldn't be in the way and goop everything up. I don't have my ski with me so I don't know if I could make it work right now or not.

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The front exhaust is completely out of the water about 90% of the time so there's less back pressure. If it wasn't for the extra noise and burnt oil mixture down the side of the ski it would be great. Mounting it in the pump area will also have less back pressure and that's where it's located on most couches. Who cares if the pump gets a little messy from 2-stroke oil it's just a little extra lubrication for the steering bushings.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
He wanted to run dual rear scuppers. John, I say run one of the scuppers in the pump area then the problem is solved.

I was thinking front only exhaust on a stunt hull kit would be simpler and save weight from the exhaust tube and rubber hose, but I don't want my ears ringing and I don't like breathing exhaust fumes any more than I already do.

Top Bottom