*Sigh*

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I got back out to the surf today. My ski was running super strong. I was doing great handling it and my friend were pretty impressed at how fast I could get it going in 3-4' chop.

My friends couch stopped working, I rode in to see what was up. I got off the ski.

I went to fire the ski... well, it wont run anymore. No compression. I have drive output when hitting start. I have spark and some output when I put my finger over the plug hole. I have no suckion when putting my hand over the carb. I don't know what happened, but I went from running badass perfect for nothing after hitting the stop button.

I'm clueless as to what is wrong. Still waiting for my buddy to get the ski back to my house. It was moving water earlier but I can't say it was moving water when it stopped working. It's not seized, it just spins freely. Seems like no compression.

I don't know what to do about it. If the engine is blown, I have to get the water out. I was going to hook the hose to it and fill it with water while cranking it, then take the plugs out and try to make sure there's not water, then fill it up with WD40. I don't think it can be started tonight. I have class in the morning. I have to do w/e it takes to protect what I can before I can tear down the engine.

http://x-h2o.com/showthread.php?t=23640

Anyway, if anyone is interested in any of the parts I have, let me know. I want to try to get my investment back from everything I have and look for a 95 SN or a roundie. I have lots of extra stuff. A 650 high compression head, a alum. bed plate, aan after market pipe, several hulls, 2 UMI steering for X2, lots of motor mounts, some cables, etc etc etc. Also, I'd like to sell my 650SX. It's not running right now. If someone will give me a few hundred $$ and take the project that'd be cool, otherwise I'll rebuild it and probably sell it shortly after it's running.

Last edited:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
you need the ski, a set of jumper cables, and a digital multi-meter, and some fresh premix...

if you get these things any time soon tonight, you may call me and Ill work you thru checking it out.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I have all of these above except the multi-meter. I can't get it tongiht.

If you can help me w/o it, I can call you in the next 10 mins. Otherwise I just need to know how to protect the engine until I can take a better look at the problem.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I just checked the compression for the 1st time since I got the ski. My dad just gave me a gauge, said screw it in, hold the throttle open and let it crank 6 times.

The gauge read 35 at neutral. When I cranked the ski, the back cylinder went up to 75, and the front to 55. I suppose that might imply my rear cylinder only has 20 PSI.

might be interested in some parts for my x2

Let me know what you need and I will see what I can pull.

I have pumps (siezed), hoods, latches, etc etc. Lots of good stuff. I think I have a X2 trim nozzle but I'm going to wait to sell the pipe and the nozzle (if it's a trim nozzle). If I do keep the SX, I'll be using the pipe and trim nozzle. If I can pull some $$$, then I'll sell everything and get a SJ. I'll be posting stuff in the for sale section soon.

Need to figure out the status of my 650SX before I make any decisions. I want to try an SJ. It would be cheaper to repair my ski than buy an SJ, but I hear the SJ owns the SX. Mainly I want a newer and more reliable ski, but I could rebuild the SX and it would be pretty much new. I already have a ton of good parts.

Last edited:

stupidgoodness3

X-H2Dizzle
I just checked the compression for the 1st time since I got the ski. My dad just gave me a gauge, said screw it in, hold the throttle open and let it crank 6 times.

The gauge read 35 at neutral. When I cranked the ski, the back cylinder went up to 75, and the front to 55. I suppose that might imply my rear cylinder only has 20 PSI.

Let me know what you need and I will see what I can pull.

I have pumps (siezed), hoods, latches, etc etc. Lots of good stuff. I think I have a X2 trim nozzle but I'm going to wait to sell the pipe and the nozzle (if it's a trim nozzle). If I do keep the SX, I'll be using the pipe and trim nozzle. If I can pull some $$$, then I'll sell everything and get a SJ.

pull the head and inspect... maybe new rings, and clean up the inside if ur lucky.

Might need a new head for the X2 along with a finger throttle and an extra hull

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
pull the head and inspect... maybe new rings, and clean up the inside if ur lucky

i hope so. If it's that simple of a fix, I could have it running with spending very little $$. It's worth a lot more alive than dead since it's mostly stock. I'm hoping to unload everything and bring in $2000. It would be possible if I got my ski running so I could get a good price on that. I have several preformance parts that need a good cleaning that could bring some $$$. Then I could get a newer unmolested roundie for $3000, or maybe a SN that has been babied for even cheaper.

I don't really want to sell my ski. It's just that if I am going to dump a load of $$ into it (turf, foot holds, paint, etc etc) I'd rather dump it into a newer SJ or perhaps an SX-R (I hear the SJ is better but the SX-R is just so sexie.) Even once it has a super nice hull, it's still a 20 year old powerplant, and an SX hull.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I guess I did everything I could. I hooked the hose up to it and let it run for like 10 mins. During this time I was inspecting for leaks. I noticed the upper exhaust manifold was dripping water from where it connects to the exhaust manifold. Water was dripping from the crack I JBwelded in the pipe, but I don't think that matters (at least in the current topic). I could HEAR water in the front cylinder. I know water can get in the cylinders if you flush while it's not running, but it sounded like it was flowing pretty feely in there.

Anyway, I had the plugs out, shut off the water and cranked the ski. A lot of water came out of the front cylinder, none out of the back. I continued to crank until pretty much all of the water was out.

Then I sprayed a lot of WD40 into the holes, cranked it until i saw no spray, repeated abould 6 times. I put the plugs back in and cranked it for another second.

I guess that's it. It's 10:30 so I can't keep cranking it. It's not going to start. I did what I could think of to get the salt out and protect the crank and pistons.

I wont get to pull the motor until later in the week. I can do something else If I need too. I thought about pouring some mixed fuel into the cylinders but decided against it pending someone telling me that was a good idea.

I still do not know what is wrong. I have absolutly no idea what is wrong or what happened. The ski was running super until I shut it off, and then it never ran again. I don't understand what could have happened when I shut it off that made it loose compression. Maybe when I shut it off, some water backed intot he exhaust and damaged something? Air flows in one side and out the other. I know I have spark, checked that (both by shocking the hell out of myself, lol, and then again one we got a wrench to pull the plugs) and I know I have fuel, because I can pump it in with the primer.

Any ideas?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
or just buy mine

buy your what? SJ? Are you in the tampa area? I need to bring in some $$ from these parts before I can afford a SJ. I would get a 94 or newer, i think. SJs started with a 701 in '94? I'd really like a 2000 or newer.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
sorry I missed you earlier VUMAD.

take the spark plugs out, roll the boat UPSIDE DOWN, on the trailer, with the hood off.

and crank it over.

make sure there is NO water coming out.

crank it for a few minutes even when its not spitting water.

roll it back over ( right side up)
pour some 2 stroke oil in the carb.

like half a cup.

open the throttle by hand, let it drain down.
now, crank it over again, several times.

if little to no water came out, and you dump that oil in, that SHOULD buy you a day or so of time .

dont worry about that compression guage reading.

if you have never checked it before, it has likely been low all along.
if it was running, and then you killed it, it didnt wear out the cylinder to ring seal sitting on the beach.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
There's no way I can do that right now. It's 11 now and I couldn't crank it if I wanted to. My dad just had surgery so there's no way I could flip it over. There's noone to help me with that. Can I flip it with the pole still attached? I have a full tank of gas that is going to have to be siphoned out before I can do that.

I can go pour some premix into it in the morning (7am). Should I? I could pour it in now but I just cannot crank it again right now. It's too late. I hope my WD40 deal is enough. There's no way I can get that ski flipped over. Maybe I can bring the ski to school tomorrow and get some help.

Can I just get some regular fuel line to siphon it? Suck the fuel up until I vomit and then drop the line into the gas can, eh?

if it was running, and then you killed it, it didnt wear out the cylinder to ring seal sitting on the beach.

Do you have any guess of what happened? Not that it's going to fix the problem to know, but I'm super curious of how it could just magically stop working. It was running very strong.

Last edited:

DaUpJetSkier

I like square
just pour some oil or premix in the carb and or spark plug holes and turn the ski over manually, grab the couplers and turn just to get some oil around everthing, atleast youll be for the night

stupidgoodness3

X-H2Dizzle
buy your what? SJ? Are you in the tampa area? I need to bring in some $$ from these parts before I can afford a SJ. I would get a 94 or newer, i think. SJs started with a 701 in '94? I'd really like a 2000 or newer.

White 95 superjet at lake seminole ring a bell?

I would do what mouthfulloflake has said but would not let it sit till the end of the week especially with saltwater in it:nono:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I am at the SPC health campus on 66th and park. EMT program.

I was actually going to mention that SJ. I had looked at it several times, and mentioned it to my friends. I just have 6 stand ups in my yard and everything I can spare invested in my 650sx. I don't have $2000 or I'd be looking at your SJ.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/boa/411225614.html

Lots of good mods.

i was hoping to pull nearly $3000 for all of my stuff and that would put me in a nice spot. I have an alum bed plate, high compression header, PJS pipe and 2 UMI steering set ups (for X2) which would be the major assets. I was hoping those parts could pull $1500 (at least $1000 I think) after I get them cleaned up, and maybe another few hundred on the misc parts, hulls and assortment of ride plates and intake grates. That $3000 goal is going to be a bit harder to reach now that my "flag ship" of the fleet (the only thing that freaking ran) is out of comission, and more or less, worthless.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
LMAO!!!

Ok... so I went with the idea of turning the engine by hand. I hadn't thought of this, I don't know why, but I was able to turn the engine by twisting the coupler.

Apperently I put too much oil in the front cylinder, because when I turned the coupler it shot up in the air a foot. It's dark and I can't see anything, but there's oil all over the place. Now I have a blown engine, and a mess. At least the premix is a pretty blue color and looks nice in the bottom of the hull.

When I was turning the coupler, I heard some grinding in the back. I'm not sure if that's ok, I know I didn't get all of the sand out in my haste and focus on the engine, but it seemed like it could be dragging a little tinsy bit in one spot as it turns. Is this a signal that my pump is starting to fail? or it's possibly just my imagination?

PS. We'll be at lake seminole tomorrow wakeboarding if you want to bring that SJ down or take a boat ride. Things are TBA, because it seems I may have to flip this ski over to get the stuff out, or perhaps even call off the wakeboarding.

Can someone tell me what I need to do here? I don't have a load of time to work on the ski. I am in school and work 6 days a week, we wakeboard mon and wed night so I work on the ski after the sun goes down (9-12 as needed). Can someone predict a forcast for my ski? It has no compression, so it has to come apart. I need the pull the head and check the rings. Do I need to pull the... (I don't klnow what the middle part above the crank is called) thingy and mess with anything else? If I get the head off and the rings are bad, then I probably just need new rings and a head gasket? Maybe I should just pull the head tomorrow night and post a pic. My dad knows all about this stuff but I think he's getting a bit half assed on repairs and I don't like that.

Do I need to pull the engine to do this? It will take almost all of my free time to pull the engine tomorrow. If I have to pull the engine to work on it, then I wont get much done. If I can start by pulling the head and then reevaluating. I can have some results to you pretty quickly.

Shiet, I just remembered I have a date tomorrow with the girl I recently met. I might be canceling wakeboarding. Suck. Maybe you can come to lake seminole with us on wednesday? I'll have to see how this goes.

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
what kind of ski is this that you cant turn over by yourself?

a 650SX. It's on a small boat trailer. I don't think I can roll it over w/o dropping it or damaging the pole. It will fall through the skids. I know, I did it on accident when I tied it down half arsed.

oh well.

good luck with the sale!

I sense your angry about helping me fix a ski I might sell afterwards. =(
Don't be mad. I lub you.

I have to get to bed now so I wont be late for class. It sucks to have to go to bed when I know I'm not going to be able to sleep over this.

Last edited:

stupidgoodness3

X-H2Dizzle
If the oil shot out I dont think the front cyl made a full turn and obviously you still have a seal between ur rings and cyl walls.

Ill be in orlando on wed, but hopefully out on thur on the x2 if i can get a head gasket locally.

Top Bottom