SilverSurfer's Build

I have only posted a few times , but still have done alot of reading and searching. Still I have few questions to ask the members.
First, I have quite of bit of glass work to do to my ski, whether it be carnage and/or modding but I am still not sure exactly about which resin you guys have been using. I have done plenty of automotive glass work, but my hull being SMC I'm not sure. I found a resin made by "EverCoat" which is an SMC Fiberglass Resin, but it runs about $120 a gallon?
I also found another product by "Evercoat" called Fiber Tech, for repairing gouges or as I usually 'V' cut all my cracks then fill before either matting or cloth. This runs about $35 for a 24oz tube.
My question is what products exactly work and hopefully cheaper or am I beat on the price no matter what? I like to get started asap, so I can get my ski back in the water where it belongs, not in my driveway. :)
100_0548.jpg100_0552.jpg100_0551.jpg100_0549.jpg
I have already cut the tail, plan on 'D' cutting the ride plate. Rienforcing the both eye rings and plating them. I also plan on shaving the hood and relocating my trim to inside. Alot of other lil' things.
Thanks for the help in advance.

I'm no expert by far but using this board and PWCToday I found all the info I needed to do some repairs and chop my X-2 hood. Use only epoxy resin with SMC for the best bond. Here's the stuff I and most others use, I used the medium cure time:
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

As for material I used 12oz biaxial:
http://www.uscomposites.com/specialty.html

And use the SM Faring compound as a bondo to fill in the imperfections. Good luck!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Thanx to both 'TanMan' and 'OCJumper', I did look into West Systems stuff, it's carried locally by our West Marine store; but I finally got ahold of Steve @ US Composites who help me tremendously in decided exactly what products to use. He explain to me that my X2 being SMC it was very specific in what you could use to get structural adhesion. He explained that SMC has a mold release agent that is inpregnanted into it and certian resins will not adhere. Such as poly urethane, ester and/or vinylester. After about a twenty minute conversation this is the list we came up with and I ordered.

635 2 Part Epoxy Resin w/Medium hardener (3 to 1 mix)
Fastco Epoxy Puddy Glue (instead of 3M 5200)
Aerosil-Cabosil Filler (for more structural areas)
3M Glass Bubbles (for less structural areas)
Assorted of Cloth from 12oz Biaxial, Woven Roving, to 3oz E-glass for laminating the entire bottom of hull
Also I have Marine Tech I will use inside the hull because of its' high chemical resistance to oils and petro.
I can pick up a good catalize paint at West Marine locally. I just have to do some research on the other mods I plan on doing so that I am able to get everything done at once. Hopefully.

As soon as I get my products I will keep my progress (pics) posted. Thanx for the info.

Top Bottom