SJ Engine Cowl

I'm about a week away from rolling the boat into the paint shop. I have a question about my stock engine cowl. (Keep in mind that I believe the boat was previously used for racing). The cowl does not have the plastic insert that drops into the top of the cowl anymore (bought the boat this way). I believe that it is referred to as a "cap assembly" in the parts break-down catalogs. What is the purpose for this and why would it be removed. I have to assume that it may have something to do with the air intake. Would it have been removed to make the boat breathe better & make more power? Also, is there any reason why I should go out and replace the piece? (i.e. Less chance of taking in water into the engine compartment). Thanks in advance.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Cowl = Hood
Insert, Cap Assembly = Hood liner

That SJ will ingest a whole lot more water without it. You'd be wise to at least glass a homemade replacement back in.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Ya, it sounds like someone was going to do a hood mod and tore the liner out and never finished it. So, yes you need a new hood or finish that one.

Do you have any pictures?

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
If you will be freestyling I would recomend the Blowsion hood liner, Unless of course you are handy w/ glass work and can make your own. It may be cheaper to just buy another stock hood. I just sold one for $50.

I checked out what you guys recommended (on Blowsion's site), but I just want to ensure that we are talking about the same thing when we refer to "hood liner". Everything inside the hood is in place and has not been touched. The plastic piece that I'm talking about & is missing, is from the outside of the hood and drops in just in front of the handpole bumper pad. It looks like it should be a rectangular plastic box. Are we talking about the same thing?

Marshj

DarkHorse
Nope- youre talking about the fire extinguisher holder, not an important piece at all. Many remove it and put the fireextinguisher inside the ski. Go ahead and paint.

meatball

User Title Unavailable
While its illegal not to have a fire extinguisher on board, you'll find most dont follow that. I've never been pulled over, it depends more on where you live. If my jetski blows up, I just dont see myself trying to get to the ski, and then shoot it from the worst possible angle (in the water) I'd much rather just flip it over, but the Coast Guard dont care.

Some people get a very small extinguisher (8 inches tall) and strap it on above the battery.

Top Bottom