sj flame arrestor

what up? i recently acquired an sn and i have added a prop, plate and grate and bildge..other than that the motor is stock 650 but it rips...it has a k&n filter and i have heard these are bad for a freeride boat. is this true because of the filter material or what? is stock f\a better for a freestyle application. thanks

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
I know this is old, but I'm gonna bump it cuz I have the same question. I did my first turn sub today and the K&N must have gotten drenched. Ski ran like crap on the way back to shore where I took some time and dried out the filter. I am running a Mikuni wetsuit over the filter. Should I just go back to the stock setup? Somebody help me and hellcat out!

Run the stock F/A or if you don't have one then you can run an Outwears cover on your K&N. Also, there are different K&N options; a paper like material that stays wet and doesn't flow, and a wire mesh style which is closer to the way the stock screens are which is way better.

I was told years ago that the 'paper' K&Ns let less water in than the mesh screens but have the side effect of not drying out as fast when they get wet.

If that is true, I would rather have my motor work like crap for 10 minutes while the paper dries out than to hydrolock the motor.

I was told years ago that the 'paper' K&Ns let less water in than the mesh screens but have the side effect of not drying out as fast when they get wet.

If that is true, I would rather have my motor work like crap for 10 minutes while the paper dries out than to hydrolock the motor.

From my experience, the paper ones not only let more water in, but completely choke the engine when wet. The open mesh (like a K&N) may let more water in but I've only run them with Outerwears Pre-filters which totally repel the water.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
i ran a K&N paper type with an outwears on my boat for a while. i noticed that while the K&N did let water in more often it also cleared and started running right sooner than when i take a big gulp with the stock arrestor. *shrug* that beings said i still run the stock type.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
The paper k&n's type filters(actually cotton fiber) were originally designed for dirt applications to keep dust out. Then peeps started putting them on watercraft when PWC's first came out.

Yes, the fiber would get wet and it would swell and block off air flow... Its lame..
So peeps would then put nylon "outerwears" on and spray them with silicone spray to repel water off them. It is still lame.
The paper is meant to keep dust out.. no dust inside a ski.

The only kind you want is the wire mesh type. Prok, k&N, FLy, OEM, etc., all make the fine wire mesh type.

Best way to keep water out is a good aftermarket freestyle/freeride hood or modding the OEM like one.

Last edited:

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
what up? i recently acquired an sn and i have added a prop, plate and grate and bildge..other than that the motor is stock 650 but it rips...it has a k&n filter and i have heard these are bad for a freeride boat. is this true because of the filter material or what? is stock f\a better for a freestyle application. thanks

That there is just plain funny stuff, I don't care who you are. :nana:

Top Bottom