Super Jet SJ Fuel Issue? Help needed

Ski: 2008 SJ - stock besides lightened flywheel and rad dudes exhaust hose.

Recap: ran great last summer except one issue; when ski was left on beach for 20+ minutes or so you would have to feather the throttle to get it going but then it ran great.

Now: rebuilt carbs (OEM mikuni kits) this winter to try and fix that issue. New needles/ seats (1.5) and new jets 130 and 70. Used the larger spring in the Mikuni kits (should be the 115g). Ski will start and idle but the second you give it gas it cuts off. Tried bypassing the fuel selector and didn’t fix it. Tank check valve is good and working. Carbs are set to:

Front high - 1 1/8
Rear high - 1
Lows - 1

Last edited:
If you have not done so already, tweak the high end adjusters up (and down). You are likely getting too much fuel or too much air, and this will compensate. I would tweak them a quarter turn at a time.
Not sure if you are testing dry or in the water under load. Final test would need to be in the water.
Of course, also double check to rebuild and connections, etc. Could check the pulse line as well.
Good luck.

I don’t see how adjusting the high speed screws would cause it to be hard to start after sitting for 20 minutes.

I would pressure test the carbs to make sure your needles and seats aren’t leaking.

Ski will start and idle but the second you give it gas it cuts off. Tried bypassing the fuel selector and didn’t fix it. Tank check valve is good and working. Carbs are set to:

Front high - 1 1/8
Rear high - 1
Lows - 1

As to the new problem, when I had my Lows screws too lean it did that too, cut off when opening throttle. I’d try 1.5 or 2 turns out on the lows first... as a test.... to see if your too lean on the idle circuit....

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
could be your needle and seat are opening due to the pressure in the tank and filled your crank case with fuel. Then while starting you pushed out your seal.. Do a leak down test to know for sure.

I don’t see how adjusting the high speed screws would cause it to be hard to start after sitting for 20 minutes.

I would pressure test the carbs to make sure your needles and seats aren’t leaking.

Maybe you missed his description of the new problem after rebuilding his carbs. ...Starts and idles ok but cuts out once he gives it fuel...

All parts in the carbs are brand new including needles and seats. I know that doesn’t mean it’s not the carbs because I haven’t tested pop off.

Carb screws should be set the same on the SJ. No offsetting front and rear. High speed, 1 1/8 - 1 1/2, +/- 1/4, low speed 7/8 +/- 1/4 so sayeth the service manual. Instant shut down on throttle opening means it's lean. It's taking one big gasp of air with not enough fuel to go on. Open the low side up to 1 1/8 to start, always start off rich and lean out from there until your idle is responding. There should be no hesitation or gasp and then rev up, that's lean, but there should be no bog or buhhhh and take awhile to clear out, that's rich. Snap the throttle, it should rev up cleanly and instantly, then return to clean idle near instantly. If it hangs at high idle, it's lean, if it sinks below idle and slowly clears out coming back to proper idle, it's rich. And lastly, your carbs need to synchronized before you can even start with fiddling with the fuel screws, just set them both the same to whichever stock setting you prefer and focus on synchronizing next.

A very, and I do mean very, basic starting point is to use the shank of a decent drill bit...TINY drill bit lol, not the cutting fluted side, the smooth shank. With your idle screw, open the throttle way up so you can put the drill bit shank in the throat of carb 1 (Mag/stator side) without the butterfly touching the drill, back the idle screw out until the butterfly just barely touches the drill shank. Check carb 2 to see if the butterfly aslo touches the drill to the same amount. If not, adjust the coupling link screw between both carbs until carb #2 (PTO side carb) matches the same touching weight as the #1carb did. Once done, back the idle screw way out closing the butterflies, then screw back in just to get a little line of opening at the base of the butterflies. This will get you close to calibrated. The reason for the drill bit is because it is the closest thing you will get to a readily available precision ground dowel pin to do a hardware based sync. To really fine tune the sync, you will need a vacuum gauge. I use this one, it has been bulletproof in performance... https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Snail-Type-Syncrometer-Carb-Sync-Tool-GERMAN-SK-p/ste-sk.htm ...get you one of these and sync your carbs properly. The above method will only get you close. Hope this helps :)

Quick add, in regards to the photos...I have seen that schmutz before hanging around the flywheel. In my experience it has turned out to be nothing more than someone used excessive assembly grease in the crank seal and or starter bendix. It most certainly can be a leaking crank seal, the only way to know is to pressure test the crank housing. When you get your carbs setup, if the problem continues then a pressure test of the lower end may be the next order of business.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight from everyone so far. Compression tested the motor today and it’s 155/155. Swapped entire electronics out for another set including stator. I had gremlins which led me to do this. I actually couldn’t cut the ski off when starting it the other day and had to pull the plugs off and shocked me. Getting a new S/S switch and other things and going to pressure test the carbs and go from there.

Top Bottom