sj starting issues

fishinrod

guerrilla steezin
just put the ski back together including adding b pipe and new jetting got everything hooked up and it wont start. poored alittle fuel down carbs and still nothing, it will putter for a second like its trying to start then nothing checked all connection and tried an old set of plugs that were fine when i took them out. i know starting fluid is bad on 2strokes but i dont know what else to try, any ideas???? its an 06 sj with bpipe everything else stock if that makes a difference

ger87410

How did I get here?
Check spark, timing, and compression in that order. Baring that, suspect the carbs. IMO.

If it doesn't start with gas down the gullet, it won't start with starting fluid.

fishinrod

guerrilla steezin
well the timing hasn't changed i never messed with it, it was running perfectly before i took the motor out, spark and compression seem like a good place to check maybe a fresh set of plugs might be in order, cause it sounds like there fouling cause when i switched plugs it would sputter and then not start again until i made a switch again

ger87410

How did I get here?
If you dump gas down the gullet, you're bypassing the carbs... U dumped gas down both carbs, right?

That just leaves compression and spark.

In the past few weeks I've read posts of peeps having starting issues and after much trial/error they find the flywheel key's broken. Might be worth it to take a quick look at that key.

The Penguin

triple secret probation
just put the ski back together including adding b pipe and new jetting got everything hooked up and it wont start. poored alittle fuel down carbs and still nothing, it will putter for a second like its trying to start then nothing checked all connection and tried an old set of plugs that were fine when i took them out. i know starting fluid is bad on 2strokes but i dont know what else to try, any ideas???? its an 06 sj with bpipe everything else stock if that makes a difference
what jetting and how many turns on your adjusters?

fishinrod

guerrilla steezin
yes both carbs had fuel dumped down, im at sea level with 145 mains and 120 pilots. the adjusters are are the same as before the changes, not quite sure off the top of my head. i dont think the key would be broken since it was running perfectly the day i took the motor out, i mean i guess there could be a chance but since it was running fine before

My buddy has the exact same problem. It has spark some if the time, and not other times. We gapped the plugs a bit bigger and almost got it started. The only other thing I can think of is changing the plug wires now.

Start with new plugs, with proper gap. Try cranking then pull one out. Is it wet with fuel??? How about the other? If not, highly likely carb is suspect. Pull one plug, connect it to the plug wire, ground it by touching it to the head or another metal surface and crank. Observe color and frequency of spark. If you're satisfied then do the same for the other plug/wire combo.

Those simple checks take a mere minutes to do but tell you the world. Also, it helps if you listen to advice, not try to rebutt it.

You have a stock motor right??? You're jetting is off IMO. FP's rec's are keeping the 70 Pilot and going up to 135 Main (from 130) with screws at High 1 1/2 out, Low 1 1/4 out.

Last edited:
Yes the plugs are wet with fuel when I pull them.. Have not trimmed the wires yet, but will def. try that soon. My carbs are set at what FP recommended in their instructions, which I believe are what you stated too. I appreciate the help man!

itismejoshy

I Do What I Can...
wet plugs = spark issue.....i hate to say it because it seams like a fix all method here but trim back your plug wires then run a resist check on the coil...it's not a 100% method to rule the coil but if you in the ball park move on to the cdi. check the manual(pm me if you need it) for the ball park range.

jerzyjet

-enter user title here-
had a similar problem and my problem was the CDI

I dunno what u got for a CDI

but i got an MSD for sale real cheap if yours is bad

:bow28:

Top Bottom