Other Ski Question, Moving To Seattle

I just returned form a 2 day trip to Seattle for a job interview at a machine supplier for a mechanical design engineer position (they build machines that build wings for Boeing and Airbus). Everything went great and I received a formal job offer, unless I get a better offer in Columbus OH within a week I'm moving.

Anyways I need some opinions on how to move out there. As it is I have a Chevy S-10 4x4 v6 stepside bed so it's got a small bed and decent towing capabilities. What I'd like to move out there is:

B1
750sx
Superjet
single pwc trailer converted to haul 2 standups
about 20 rubbermaid tubs worth of personal belongings (clothes, electronics, cooking stuff, etc.)
a few benchtop woodworking machine tools which aren't big but are damn heavy being antique cast iron, specifically a DP220 drill press, Atlas 912 band saw, Delta 10" Table Saw, 24" Atlas Scroll Saw, 30gal horizontal compressor
2 floor-standing speakers and a 32" lcd

There are a few different setups I've thought of, the first being travel wise the easiest which is to buy a cap for my truck and trailer the skis out while shipping everything else out in a POD or similar moving company. How much would a moving company like mayflower cost? I'd only need like 1/8th of a 53 footer. The second setup would be to put the trailer on the bed of my truck sans skis with the bed of my truck full I'd buy an enclosed 6x10 trailer for the skis and other stuff (maybe put one ski or tools in the truck bed). The third setup would be to take only what is necessary and get a truck cap while selling everything else, move to Seattle and buy a BOB or similar and outfit it with trick mechanicals. One of my job perks is full use of the entire machine shop.

I am open to selling either the blaster or 750sx to free up some cash, weight, and space but I know skis go for a premium on the west coast so why would I sell in the midwest in the fall :doh:. I am also open to making a trip in the spring for the skis but that would suck being 2500 miles ONE WAY $$$

Does anyone else have further advice on driving through the northern Rockys in October? Anybody here ride in Seattle? I'll be moving up near Mukilteo.
For further clarification here is the trailer on truck option:
IMG_2149.jpg

Last edited:
get a uhaul and tow the truck behind it. o and lots of red bull.

$1500 + about $500 in fuel ummmm no.
For another $1000 I could just buy this locally:
5O05W35P63mc3p63o4ba28ecab7f3b6bc1e29.jpg

Or upon further looking, sell my truck, buy this
5V35Z15W23ne3k93peba80c66a55c0c6f1572.jpg
and use it as a daily driver until I have a bit of cash to buy a more practical daily!

Attachments

• 5V35Z15W23ne3k93peba80c66a55c0c6f1572.jpg
    5V35Z15W23ne3k93peba80c66a55c0c6f1572.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Cant advise you on how to do the move, but hit me up anytime....starting at Boeing myself on the 21st. (and yes a few of us ride all year long almost)

I accepted the job! now I need to see how much stuff I need to move, making a pile in my parents garage. It is looking like I will be selling my 750sx and possibly the blaster, look for for sale threads soon maybe.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Can you hook me u p with a job?

Id ditch the trailer and tow a uhaul with skis/stuff. You can buy jet ski trailers fairly cheap and that seems like the big thing limiting your move.

True that, ditching the trailer would be nice but then I'd be riding dry until I get a new one. The trailer only weights about 300lbs and can be disassembled easily but I do hate it.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Well I moved my cousins to NC a few years back.. The drive between you and here on I-90 sucks with all the rolling hills.. Just take your time and don't push the truck.. I would rent a uhaul trailer big enough to get a ski and all of your stuff in, then put another on the trailer on your bed, but you would be pushing it's limits doing that, if not exceeding them.. Your best bet really is to rent a Uhaul truck load it up and dolly your truck here.. Expensive, but tough to get it all here otherwise for that price.. Shipping company will be expensive too and take a lot longer..

Sorry that is all the input I have.. BUT like Crab said, there are a bunch of us that ride mostly year round and a lot of them live up near the north of Mukilteo & Seattle areas.. I am on the coast about 2hrs from Muk with about 6 of us out here..

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
I rented a uhaul and a car dolly to move from FL to WA last year.
Whatever you decide, send me a PM or something when you get up here and we'll go ride :)

Top Bottom